Buy Tobacco Leaf Online | Whole Leaf Tobacco

Varieties of Vuelto Abajo

Status
Not open for further replies.

SmokeStack

I was recently gifted seeds of Vuelto Abajo. I was interested in the days to maturity and nicotine content so I did a GRIN search for "Vuelto Abajo" and I received 7 hits. Among these hits were listed 3 varieties of Vuelto Abajo: Habano, Canario and 3 hits that did not specify a name. Are all seven accession numbers referring to the same tobacco, or are there really seven different variations of Vuelta Abajo? I have done searches for many heirloom varieties and they come up as a single result. I know that the information on GRIN is not always trust worthy, but it least it provides an approximation. For all seven listings, there was not any "observations" link to get this information anyway. In the long run, as long as my tobacco turns out well, then I am not very concerned as to the variety. Just wondering why all the hits? If a sample was submitted to GRIN, then why submit another sample to the list. Does GRIN create an entry for each submission regardless of whether a sample has already been recorded? I admit that I rely on GRIN more than I should.:confused:

Last edited:

deluxestogie

Administrator
Staff member
The ARS-GRIN created a new listing for each accession, so there is considerable overlap. Many similarly named varieties were acquired from different locations within the same country, as well as from different countries. Unfortunately, the Vuelta Abajo is a legendary growing region of Cuba, and the source of many of their great tobaccos.

As a varietal name, it seems to refer to the principal variety of cigar leaf grown in that region during the latter half of the nineteenth century and into the early twentieth. It is the parental seed of many US varieties that were subsequently developed and "improved," with names like Havana and Spanish. During the past half century, Cuban growers of cigar leaf in the Vuelta Abajo have ventured into numerous other varieties for various reasons, including the need for specific disease resistance.

Now, I wouldn't know the real thing if I tripped over it. Smoking it, however, is a different matter. I had the Pleasure of smoking both unkilned and kilned leaf from jitterbugdude that was named Vuelta Abajo. To my tongue and nose, it suggested some of the nuances of flavor and aroma of some familiar Havana cigars.

I will proclaim JBD's variety to be the real deal.

Bob

SmokeStack

Although I have the land to plant much more than I will plant this year, I am drastically reducing the quantity of plants due to a lack of curing space. I am going to plant 25 Vuelta Abajo this year - hopefully it will last me the year. I am anxiously awaiting to smoke it.

Randy

Yea I was lucky engough to recive some Vuelto Abajo seeds myself..cant wait to grow them will be one of my main cigar tobaccos this coming year I just hope it is half-as good as sounds I will be pleased..cant thank that gentlemean enogh who sent it .. want sya is name but I heard his name is JB or somthing like that

Randy

Status
Not open for further replies.