Buy Tobacco Leaf Online | Whole Leaf Tobacco

bright leaf . virginia gold and flue cured

Status
Not open for further replies.

deluxestogie

Administrator
Staff member
"Flue-cured" is a class of tobacco varieties that have been traditionally processed by flue-curing (a specific high-heat, rapid curing protocol that requires a flue-cure barn or flue-curing chamber). This class encompasses scores of varieties, such as Virginia Bright Leaf, Big Gem, Virginia Gold, Silk Leaf, etc. Each of these distinct varieties has a unique growth habitus, unique leaf size and shape, and yields a different end product. Flue-cure varieties are often a major component of cigarette blends, and are also used in many pipe blends. Once actually flue-cured, the tobacco retains a higher sugar content, and creates smoke with a lower pH (greater acidity).

All flue-cure varieties can be air-cured, or cured by any other method, though the end product is different than what is produced by the flue-curing process.

Bob

SmokesAhoy

Founding Member
as far as I know they are all bright green mild smokes with n levels around 2-3%. Not to be confused with the "dark" Virginia's which are not mild.

skychaser

Virginia Golds are Bright Leafs. Bright Leafs do not have to be flu cured. They air cure quite nicely. They all tend to be light and generally mild to smoke with subtile differences in flavor. Nicotine content ranges all over depending on the variety. VG's tend to be rather low at around 1.5 to 3 mg of nicotine per gram of dry leaf. Varieties like Big Gem, Del Gold, Reams, and Oxford have about 5-7mg per gram. And some are quite high. Costello has about 21mg per gram. African Red has 29mg per gram.

SmokesAhoy

Founding Member
Generally:
V bright 30mg or 3%
Cigar stuff 40mg or 4%
Burley 50mg or 5%
Dark air 60mg or 6%
Rustica 90mg or 9%

There are some that were modified to be slightly higher than others in their category but not by much. A good example was del gold, nearly 10 years of scientific research to get va115 to go from about 30mg to 32mg

skychaser

hmm.. Interesting. May I ask where you got those numbers? The highest nic content variety I have stumbled across on the ars-grin site which has chemical anylisis listed, was for the original Orinoco ar 42mg per gram. So that would be 4.2%. The highest bright leaf I have seen a chemical analysis for there was African Red at 29mg, or 2.9%. I have never seen an actual analysis of any Rustica varieties, but my readings seem to indicate they are somewhere between 25mg/g and 40mg/g. My personal smoking experiences seem to go along with that too, and I would guess it to be closer to 40mg/g number. VA 116 is one variety that has produced very well for me, but I have never seen a chemical analysis of it. It, and all the VG types I have grown seem much like the Turkish varieties in nicotine. Very low. They taste great but got no kick. I add Rustica to my VG blends to give it a boost. Some bright leafs get the job done without adding the Rustica. African Red has become my favorite bright leafs in the past couple years because it has about the same kick as a rustica, but out produces rustica by 5 fold or more.

I have read about the developement of Del Gold and had an article bookmarked about it. Unfortunately I lost it with the death of my computer last month. But I had it in my head it was about 5-7mg/g which would be only .5 to .7% ?? Perhaps we are somehow comparing apples to oranges here, or maybe I am just confusing all the numbers and don't know wtf I am talking about. lol It wouldn't be the first time. So feel free to set me straight. :)

SmokesAhoy

Founding Member
its really rough and i didnt cite anything. im going off the various tobacco registration introductions when they name a new type they will do an analysis and publish it with the introduction. so those are just averages i read over time that formed an overall impression i got about the types.

there is varience in the types but not by much. search delgold threads started by me, i uploaded a pdf on it.

so this wasnt meant to be in depth, just a rough breakdown of types for a new user just getting started.

i'm sure there will be swings in alkaloids by type, especially in the cigar category, and im also sure there must be mild dark air too. this was just a super rough rundown so someone new can get a starting point.

ive also never seen lab analysis for rustica, the most realistic number reapeated over and over is 9%

skychaser

search delgold threads started by me, i uploaded a pdf on it.

I will do that. t/y

The 1-3 mg number I cited for VG's might be the average amount that is taken in when smoking and not the amount contained n the leaf. I don't recall where I got that number from and am really pissed off at myself for not backing up my bookmarks. :/ I backed up everything else.

Since you only get about 10% of the total nicotine into your bloodstream by smoking, that would make a lot more sense to me, and would put VG's somewhere in the 10-30mg/g range, or at 1-3%. Our numbers jive much better when you look at it that way. :)

SmokesAhoy

Founding Member
ahh, yeah that would

the african red seems interesting too, you prefer it over delgold?

rose

[FONT=&quot]I have a question about bright leaf that maybe someone can answer. Recently, before finding this niche of information, was talking with the owner of a ryo mag (in my quest to find organic). We were discussing the discontinued Kentucky Select Organic. He stated that the previous years harvest had primarily bright leaf and was harsh smoking. The KSO I smoked and thoroughly enjoyed was milder bc it didn't have as much BL. He said farmers prefer to grow BL bc the bitterness discouraged bugs. When I asked what Va I was smoking notes say Golden Va and I wish I could decipher the rest of my on the fly short hand but alas.
[/FONT]

[FONT=&quot] [/FONT]
[FONT=&quot]So I got this idea BL was not something I wanted till talking with a few here. I'm getting ready to order a nice stash of leaf from BigBonner with BL at the top. I really love how he grows.[/FONT]
[FONT=&quot] [/FONT]
[FONT=&quot]Is there some reason/like curing time etc/that would have made my previous source of info diss BL? Everyone here seems to give it thumbs up.[/FONT]
[FONT=&quot] [/FONT]
[FONT=&quot]By the way, now the thought of buying premixed, precut tobacco seems like a distant dream reminiscent of the dark ages ;)
[/FONT]

leverhead

I don't think there is anything inherently harsh about bright leaf, if you're talking about flue-cured in general. It probably has more to do with growing conditions and curing (luck and skill) than variety. Flue-cured can be rather acidic by itself, tasty or neutral. Blending other tobaccos that were cured differently, tames the pH and adds flavors that the flue-cured just doesn't have. Some of the flue-cured Orientals I got to try this Summer may make me rethink the last part of that statement. There may be some confusion with names, to me bright leaf and flue-cured are the same thing, Virginia Gold is a variety name. Making a cigarette without some kind of flue-cured as a major component would be hard for me, your taste may differ. Flue-cured by itself wouldn't hold my interest very long.

DonH

I think the Kentucky Select is just not good quality Bright Leaf. I ordered a bunch of it just before I found this site and after over a year I just gave it away. There is no comparison between it and what you can get from Don (FMGrowit) or Larry (Big Bonner).

rose

Thanks guys. If I may ask a few more questions. I'm dyslexic so sometimes information registers a bit differently/I take lots of notes. Just so I can sort this out~

Is bright leaf always flue cured?

Va Gold...also flue cured?

Don, about KSO and quality. Before I found this site that is what I was wondering. Apparently the crop before this last and final KSO was not very good. The 5# I bought in March was very good compared to AmeSpirit/much milder on the throat than AS. Now I question the quality of AS bc it does have a rather generic harsh taste. It used to be so good 25 years ago when I could buy in bulk from the local food coop that is now embracing smoking nazi'ism/can't even smoke in the outdoor, very open air eating area.

I'll be ordering from Larry this week. Had to wrap my head around what's what/what to try. He has organic BL, Burley and Turkish. I'm still vacillating on how many pounds of Turk. I'm thinking 4# of BL bc seems like it goes with everything as a base. Then of course Burley 2 or 3#, and undecided on Turk but probably 2 pounds. I want to have a general mixer basis and then add a few other flavors for blending. Hub likes the stronger mixes/I lean towards milder but I absolutely love nicotine and the N rush. Larry says burley red tip has more nicotine so a pound of that. I also believe nicotine is good for me. I'm going with Larry (with Don't blessing) bc not only does he have organic but his commercial is not grown with phosphate fertilizer which is my main concern fertilizer wise...the polonium 210. Plus Larry is gentle on the chemicals, freely answers what he uses, and uses early in the season so by pickin they are all gone (yes I know drying/curing for a year they dissipate). And while I don't imagine most farmers use a municipal water source/how would I know for sure/once planted Larry's babies get rain water. That I can know the plants are not watered with water that has fluoride, chlorine and assorted pharmaceuticals is another gift of being able to buy directly from the farmer (who is damn nice and answers all my questions :)).

Larry told me something the other night that opened up another window in understanding the tobacco plant more.

Organic tobacco works to get its food and commercial tobacco has fertilizers pushing the growth .

I pondered that and thought it would also add another dimension to the experience as each plant has a different evolution so to speak, so I'm looking forward to trying some of his commercial too.

If either of you would care to chime in on my basic mix ideas please do so. Hub will also be making cigars. I read Maryland is quite mild in taste and will probably do a sample before deciding. The Dark Fire of Larry's that Chris sent (thanks again Chris) is really good, should be nice in cigars. Pound of broadleaf should make decent amount of stoggies right?

I will deff be reading all the forums for specifics but just wanting to nail our order down in the next few days. Almost out of KSO and don't want to do AS if we can help it. While I'm sure Don(FMG) has lovely leaf I will be keeping my ordering to Larry bc of the above mentioned concerns.

Seriously, any helpful suggestions on the order most appreciated.

~rose

DGBAMA

Rose, as for flavorful with good Nic, but not harsh/strong, the Turkish is definitely my favorite of 7 varieties I grew this year. Great by itself and just takes a little to alter the flavor of the few blends I have tried so far. I regret not growing more (this was not even on my original list of varieties to grow). Small leaves mean more work but it sure is good. :)

Brown Thumb

Can anyone fill me in on Flue Cured Big Gem.
I know a lot you folks like it air dried but I cannot find pics or taste of it flue cured anywhere.
Thanx,
BT

DonH

Thanks guys. If I may ask a few more questions. I'm dyslexic so sometimes information registers a bit differently/I take lots of notes. Just so I can sort this out~

Is bright leaf always flue cured?

Va Gold...also flue cured?

I'll be ordering from Larry this week. Had to wrap my head around what's what/what to try. He has organic BL, Burley and Turkish. I'm still vacillating on how many pounds of Turk. I'm thinking 4# of BL bc seems like it goes with everything as a base. Then of course Burley 2 or 3#, and undecided on Turk but probably 2 pounds. I want to have a general mixer basis and then add a few other flavors for blending. Hub likes the stronger mixes/I lean towards milder but I absolutely love nicotine and the N rush. Larry says burley red tip has more nicotine so a pound of that.
~rose
I think that is a good ratio: 2 parts Bright Leaf to 1 part Burley and 1 part Turkish. That's pretty close to my favorite ratio.

Status
Not open for further replies.