Buy Tobacco Leaf Online | Whole Leaf Tobacco

how do you make pipe tobacco

Status
Not open for further replies.

joelmora89

sorry for the dumb question but i just bought a mm corncob pipe and i want to know whats your favorite mix ima buy the cig sampler pack next check. srry i live in cali n i pay 1200 for a one bedroom aparment expensive a hell thanks guys

Knucklehead

Founding Member
I either smoke my cigarette blend or I smoke single varieties by themselves. That MM cob is a good pipe. I like mine with the filter removed.

SmokesAhoy

Founding Member
Welcome to whole leaf! You can mix and match to your heart's content to find what you like best. Many of us smoke puros, or single strains. Or if you mix try each one separate first to get an idea for what it will bring to the table individually, then make a mix based on that

DonH

I like to use some mild casing. I also like to toast. What I generally do is take whole leaf Flue Cured, Turkish, Burley, Dark Air, Dark Fire Cured, and a little of whatever else I have around, remove the mid ribs, spray the leaves with a casing mix of about a cup water, a tablespoon of honey (warm it up to dissolve the honey) a teaspoon or so of vanilla extract, some licorice extract. To get the leaves pretty wet, then leave them overnight in a ziploc.

Then I put the leaves, except the Fire Cured and Turkish, in an oven heated to 250 degrees, turning and checking the leaves frequently until they are dry (don't over toast). Take it out of the oven, spray again (not too much spray his time) with some of the solution that has a shot of scotch whiskey added to rehydrate the dry leaves, this is called topping,seal in a bag or jar to rehydrate to medium case or high case, and then I lay the leaf strips on too of each other, sprinkling a good amount of Latakia and Cavendish between the leaf strips, press it flat, put it in a freezer bag ziploc that's not zipped up, and press between two boards with a C-Clamp. In an hour I tighten the press some more and again the next morning. After 12 hours of pressing I take out the nice hard block of tobacco. I usually do about 6-8 oz at a time. Dry it a bit to avoid mold and slice off some flakes to rub out for a smoke.

If you don't have a press you can also roll the moist leaves as tight as you can with maybe extra casing solution into a big cigar. Let the cigar sit overnight to marry the flavored then slice into thin medallions.

The reason I go through all the trouble of blending, casing, pressing, topping, toasting and all that is because I inhale pipe tobacco. Burley untoasted can be harsh and Virginia can have what's called tongue bite in a pipe. My mixtures are very smooth when inhaled. If they're not, I just blend in some Cavendish.

the toasting makes the Burley milder and the Virginia have no tongue bite. You could achieve that by putting the mixture in sealed jars and aging for a year, but who wants to do that? But if you don't inhale you may not need to go through all that trouble.

The pressing achieves two things: it helps blend the flavores of the different varieties and the casing together, and it also creates the right density for the shred when sliced. I've tried smoking cigarette shed in a pipe and it's not good at all.

ChuckP

Howdy & Welcome Joel,

I have to agree with everyone else, it depends on your smoking preferences. I either use cigar leftovers and chop it up. Or use a burley variety, a little virginia gold and turkish variety and either WI Seedleaf or a lighter variety of havana and toast it up as described by Don - Great post! very concise and informative. Adding some fired-cured tobacco make a great smoke too.

The worlds your oyster! Chuck.

joelmora89

wow thanks don that was really helpfull but whats latakia and cavendish
ill be make some when i order from wlt

DonH

wow thanks don that was really helpfull but whats latakia and cavendish
ill be make some when i order from wlt
Latakia is a fire-cured Oriental. We haven't found whole leaf Latakia yet but you can buy it already cut online or in tobacco stores that cater to pipe smokers. It has a nice aromatic smoky taste.

Cavendis is a process where you steam the leaves until they turn brown or black. Some of us have made our own and have written about it on the forum. It is almost tasteless and low in nicotine so it is used to mellow out a blend. It also absorbs flavor well. You can also buy it in bulk online. Cornell & Diehl makes bulk pipe tobacco.

Status
Not open for further replies.