Buy Tobacco Leaf Online | Whole Leaf Tobacco

New Pipes

Status
Not open for further replies.

SmokesAhoy

Founding Member
Very very nice! I hope he goes into the pipe making biz, he has some skill that's for sure.

Knucklehead

Founding Member
Welcome to the pipe smokers forum. Please check out the FAQ's at the top of the page.

BarG

Founding Member
Me and Alabamaknucklehead made a deal to trade our second pipes. I'm getting anxious to start my first without being able to invest in any new accessories for my lathe at this time. I have an idea to experiment on my first.

Knucklehead

Founding Member
Lot's of people without a lathe do their drilling on a drill press and rough shape with band saw and belt sander. I went with different size holes than my first posts. I use a 3\4" modified spade bit for the tobacco chamber. Kind of give the end a semi rounded profile then resharpen. Back cut the back side so it doesn't drag as the bit comes around. I use a 5\32 for the stummel airway and tapered 5\32 wood screw bit for the airway in the stem. The tapered bit allows you to taper the stem without getting into the airway. Stop the bit about an inch from the end of the stem and come in from the other side with a 1\16 inch bit. Move it side to side to make a v shape meeting the airway. Clean up the slot with needle files or a modified saw blade like a jigsaw or hacksaw. I use a 5\16 bit for the mortise for the 5\16 delrin tenon.

BarG

Founding Member
My second new pipe made by FTT Member and pipe Maker Aaron......A Magnificent Madrone Bent Apple. This pipe is really comfortable to hold and smoke and the finish turned out beautiful. Thank you Aaron , I am truly impressed with the quality and feel of it. It gets warm but not hot while smoking and gives me the notion that when I get around to trying my hand at making one to leave plenty of wood around the bowl.
100_2282.jpg

Knucklehead

Founding Member
That is a gorgeous pipe! Congratulations BarG and damn good job Aaron. You got the bar set mighty high now.

Aaron

Thanks guys! Tim, after you get a little char layer built up I don't think you'll feel much heat if any.

Knucklehead

Founding Member
The generosity of the guys on this forum is heartwarming. If I keep receiving tobacco, I won't need to grow any. If I keep getting seed offers, I won't need a seed bank. There's a great bunch of guys gathered together here. Somebody give me a hallelujah!!!

Aaron

Here's another picture for yall. One thing I liked about this one is how it sits flat upside down

8528225013_6324d4e2b1_z.jpg

Status
Not open for further replies.