Buy Tobacco Leaf Online | Whole Leaf Tobacco

FL Sumatra

Status
Not open for further replies.

andrewislord

FL Sumatra

I've decided to grow some wrapper leaf and decided on FL Sumatra. It was either that or Connecticut shade but I hear FL Sumatra is a little better and I've never been to Connecticut. I assume the FL means Florida.

I'll be growing some in pots in the shade and some in pots in full sun. And one in a somewhat shady spot in the ground.

I'm worried about the pots because I know they get tall in the shade and I don't want them tipping over.

Also, I won't be using shade cloth. They'll be on the end of the patio, where they will get no direct sun light ever, but it's pretty bright. I can show a picture if you'd like.

So, how tall do these get, in the shade and sun? I don't know if my patio is tall enough.

How much wrapper leaf do you usually get? I assume some of the leaves aren't wrapper quality. I don't need a whole lot of wrappers, so I'd rather not plant too many.

And pictures. Post pictures of your FL Sumatra.

Any thing else you know about FL Sumatra would be good, growth habits, etc. FL Sumatra will be the ones I'll be paying the most attention to this summer.

I had more questions but forgot them as I was typing this.

SmokesAhoy

Founding Member
its a great producer, i grew it my first year, got about 6-7 ft tall, really nice plant. this was in the sun

deluxestogie

Administrator
Staff member
Despite the deep color of sun-grown Florida Sumatra, it is somewhat lacking in flavor depth, when used as a filler. It burns well. My yield approached over 75% wrapper grade leaves.

Bob

deluxestogie

Administrator
Staff member
Glessnor is nearly indestructible as a binder or wrapper, and makes a decent filler blender. FL Sumatra makes a nicer textured and better flavored wrapper. The shade-grown FL Sumatra that I have sampled bears a strong resemblance to Indonesian Sumatra and Besuki, neither of which are particularly useful as filler.

Bob

SmokesAhoy

Founding Member
Pa red was also shorter and tasted better than the Sumatra if you're still up in the air over what to grow

Chicken

redneck grower
Founding Member
ive seen grows done '' all '' in 5 gallon buckets and they turned out just fine,

the guy had buckets all over his yard,

Randy

I hope you rite Chicken..I plan on 5-gal buckets scattered everywere from my yard to the neighbors..lol not including the ones planted in the ground!

Randy

Chicken

redneck grower
Founding Member
i think the guy that did it is a banned member '' daniel'' you may want to check his grow log,

ChuckP

How do you guys think it will do in a 5 gallon bucket? I'm guessing not well. Maybe that will prevent it from getting to tall for my patio?

Howdy Andrew,

I've grown tobacco in buckets for years and have had great success as long as you have adequate drainage. Drill several 1/4" - 1/2" holes in the bottom of the bucket, if it doesn't have them already. I concur with Bob (Deluxe) on using it as a filler, it makes a much better wrapper. HTH -- Chuck.

SmokesAhoy

Founding Member
It'll do fine in a pot. And like you said the pot will control how big it can get.

Status
Not open for further replies.