Buy Tobacco Leaf Online | Whole Leaf Tobacco

Shine, vodka, white whisky... what's the difference?

Status
Not open for further replies.

workhorse_01

filter setup, type of condenser, temp of water in the condenser, how fast the wash comes up to temp, how hard you run it, weather or not your still is all copper & how many times you pour it from jar to jar to release conjugers, how much heads, hearts, & tails are used with distilled water, all make a huge difference in quality of your finished product. I've seen people drink it rite out the still or aged in apple wood or oak and love it each way.

workhorse_01

If your looking for a good recipe try 60% corn soaked for 2hrs. then remove the floaters, then 30% rye or scratch grains from TSC heat them to 160* don't stop stiring then add 4tbs alpha amalaze enzyme stir for 1hr. then add 10% whole oats add to 45 gal of distilled water when the water cools to 90* add 1/2 lb yeast nutrient and 1/2 cup yeast then wait till it clears on it's own and rock and roll this is a George Washington spin off that is amazing chilled and white.

Jbrana1947

I do recall something about having to raise hogs if your going to run a still even close to neighbors but - Question - What is meant by the term dog heads? Letting the mash ferment until you see "dog heads"? Also thought only white corn and to make the best, malt your own grain. I believe Mr. Workhorse might have an answer.

workhorse_01

I raise hogs for meat, & keep guinnies to let me know when I have visitors. Let your mash ferment until it clears meaning all grain falls to the bottom. Never heard dog heads but always use the highest quality yeast! As for the corn I like feed corn fresh from the field. Let the alpha amalaze enzyme convert your grains to sugar. remember to throw out the first 200ml as this is acetone and will make you go blind

Last edited:

squeezyjohn

Generally the first fraction to come off will be a mixture of methanol and ketones like acetone ... when the pear drops smell stops then you can stop throwing it on the fire!

Methanol is the one that will make you blind BTW - acetone will take the nail-varnish off of your nails if you happen to be wearing it ... lol

workhorse_01

I keep it for parts cleaner. just let it drip on your finger nail and rub your thumb across it at 200ml the drip on your fingernail will feel soapy then you know your there.

darren1979

First Time Grower
Anyone tried making poteen/poitin?

My grandad used to talk of making in ireland when he was a kid with hes dad, i had a sip a few years back when visiting family in ireland and i was starting to feel pissed on one sip. Good stuff.

workhorse_01

sometimes, But most of the time it don't last that long. I've been told if you put it in the freezer you can turn it up like water and no burn just drink it like water.

workhorse_01

No! vodka has no taste and by western Europe standards should be made from the starch from potatoes. Shine is a corn based licker when made properly is full of flavor, history, and care for the art. It also should be made in the dark in the woods to bare the name moonshine.
Some scotch tastes like cheap whisky and cigarette butts, like islay scotch. I like highland a lot better.
So, can we say that shine is just homemade vodka?

Boboro

The last I had, had a taste of corn. Ive had it made from rye seed and it had a tequila taste. It would knock the shine off your boots.

Status
Not open for further replies.