Buy Tobacco Leaf Online | Whole Leaf Tobacco

TN 90

Status
Not open for further replies.

skychaser

I posted this in another forum a few months ago, so some of you may have already read it. But those who haven't, may find it interesting.

TN 90 is one of the most widely grown tobaccos in the world, with good reason. Many of us here grow it. TN 90 is one of my staples. So I thought I'd share a little history on its development.

TN 86, TN 90 and TN 97 were developed by Robert Miller, who is currently the Professor of Plant and Soil Sciences at the University of Kentucky. He developed Burley Varieties TN 86, TN 90, TN 97, KT 200, TN 86LC, TN 90LC, TN 97LC, KT 200LC, KT 204LC and dark varieties DF 485, TN D94, TN D950, KT D4LC, and KT D6LC

http://www.ca.uky.edu/pss/Miller,Robert

First a little history on TN 90's predecessor, TN 86

Summary

TN 86, the first burley tobacco variety having resistance to TVMV and TEV diseases, was released by the University of Tennessee as a commercial cultivar in 1986. The new cultivar, which is also resistant to black shank, black root rot, wildfire, and most strains of potato virus Y, was developed at the Tobacco Experiment Station in Greeneville, Tennessee. Unlike earlier breeding lines having TVMV and PVY resistance derived from TI 1406, TN 86 has normal levels of leaf trichome secretions and is not unusually susceptible to tobacco insect pests. TN 86 is a medium-to-late-maturing cultivar that has more leaves and a more upright growth habit than other burley cultivars. Extensive testing throughout Tennessee and surrounding states has demonstrated that TN 86 is widely adapted. TN 86 has substantially out-yielded other burley cultivars in areas that have heavy infestations of TVMV or TEV diseases. The cured leaf is generally reddish-tan in color and has consistently sold for prices comparable to or higher than those for other cultivars. Because other black shank-resistant cultivars are highly susceptible to TVMV and TEV, burley producers who must grow their crop in black shank-infested ground should benefit from using TN 86.

Origin and Development

TN 86, which was tested as Greeneville (GR) 136, was developed from a cross between 'Burley 49' and the breeding line 'PVY-202.' PVY-202, which was derived from a cross between Burley 49 and TI 1406, is a sister line to 'GR 107.' GR 107 is a TVMV, TEV, and PVY-resistant breeding line released cooperatively by the Tennessee Agricultural Experiment Station and USDA-ARS in 1979. A single plant selection from the F2 generation of the Burley 49 x PVY-202 population was crossed to 'Burley 21'. In the F2 generation of the new population, a backcross was made to Burley 21. The original cross and subsequent backcross were made by Dr. Creighton Gupton, former USDA-ARS burley tobacco breeder at the Tobacco Experiment Station in Greeneville.

Selections were made in black shank, TVMV, TEV nurseries and progeny tested in greenhouse disease screenings. In 1982 a single plant having superior agronomic characteristics and black shank resistance was selected from the F4 generation following the Burley 21 backcross. All F5 selections that were determined to be homozygous for resistance to TEV, TVMV, wildfire, and black root rot were bulked and designated as breeding line GR 136 in 1983.

PVY-202 provided the resistance to TVMV, TEV, and PVY, which originated from TI 1406. Burley 49 was the source of resistance to black root rot, wildfire, and black shank. Burley 49 derived its resistance to these diseases from Nicotiana debneyi, Nicotiana longiflora, and 'Fla 301,' respectively. GR 136 was in the F8 generation at the time of its release as TN 86.

'Tennessee 86' (TN 86) was released by the Tennessee Agricultural Experiment Station as a commercial variety in February 1986. It is the first burley tobacco variety having resistance to TVMV, TEV and PVY. Although resistance to the PVY complex is derived from TI 1406, TN 86 produces normal trichome secretions and does not exhibit the insect susceptibility normally seen in PVY-resistant breeding lines. TN 86, which is also resistant to black shank; black root rot, Theilaviopsis basicola, and wildfire.

The UT research program also has had a huge impact on farmer income through development of tobacco varieties. Superior varieties can have many different characteristics, such as disease resistance or small stalks. TN 86 and TN 90 were developed by Miller at the Tobacco Experiment Station in Greeneville, and together the two varieties account for about 50 percent of the Tennessee market and about 35 percent of U.S. burley production. Last year farmers nationwide paid $3.2 million for Tennessee variety seeds and the crop sold for more than $440 million. This generated an additional $4.4 billion in excise taxes paid into federal, state, and local coffers from the sale of tobacco products. ( Note: These are 1998 statistics )

TN 90 was developed from TN 86. TN 90 has a smaller stalk, a higher yield and a 7-10 day shorter time to maturity than TN 86. TN 90 has proven itself to perform well in a wide variety of growing conditions. In addition to disease resistance and yield potential, TN 90's small stalk is an advantage. Miller says "If you lift up about 1,000 sticks a day, the weight of the stalk can make a difference, especially since the stalk is eventually thrown away." It's no wonder that TN 90 is the most widely grown burley tobacco in the world.

In 1997 the Experiment Station released a new variety, TN 97. Miller says it has better black shank resistance and produces higher yields than TN 90, but it's yet to be seen whether growers will adopt it. "The TN 97 stalk is not as light, and its popularity will depend on which characteristics most interest the farmers."

Last edited by a moderator:

Randy

Great info Sky

I first read on other site its one of those articles each time you you read it always makes me smile each time I see TN in the article!!:eek: not to metion the great infomation in-it

Randy
PS keep it up Sky..one day will be as smart as me!!

BigBonner

Founding Member
I grow TN90 just for my customers who want TN 90 whole leaf .

I grew TN 86 for years and I like it better than the TN90 . TN 90 the leaves will point up the stalk , where as tn86 will droop and shade the bottoms of the stalk and rows . Sometime TN86 would just about lap between the balk of the row .Tn90 leaves would be up right and you could see down each row .The tn90 would let any rain evaporate quickly but TN 86 would shade the soil and keep moisture retained longer .
In dry , drought weather TN 90 seems to fire up from the bottom to the top easier than the Tn 86 .

TN90 was mainly created for blue mold . Back in ths 90's all of the burley and flue cured tobacco growing regions had severe problems with blue mold . Tn90 would allow more air and faster drying around the plants and its leaves . Blue mold would just about destroy a crop of tobacco .
There was two strain of blue mold . One was mold pores on the underside of the leaves . The other was systematic . Where the blue mold was on the inside of the stalk .

I had both kinds of blue mold one year , when I was growing regular outside plant beds . It destroyed my plant beds totally .

For stalk size . Tn90 does have a smaller stalk . But this depends on the year and weather .It also depends on the topping time and height .
TN86 can stand longer than TN90 after topping .Tn90 ripens faster but has to be harvested quicker than TN86 .

Last year I grew some TN 86 , 204 , 206 and 209
New variety this year is supposedly like 14 XL8 its called 212.
I may be growing this this year .

SmokesAhoy

Founding Member
I have tn90, I had wondered if that or 86 was better for me. Since I live up north based on what sky and big b said this is a much better variety for the northern growers. Let's the ground evaporate and finishes over a week earlier. Perfect.

skychaser

I grew both last season in rows side by side to see what differences they had. Both grow slower than my other Burleys do during the first half of the season. The growth spurt comes about 3 weeks later than other varieties. Then they very quickly catch up to everything else. Both types ended up being an average of 7-8 feet high untopped. TN 90 flowered 10 days earlier than TN 86 and TN 90 leaves ripened 5-7 days earlier. The plants appeared nearly identical through out the season otherwise. I didn't notice any significant difference in stalk size between them. Both cured the same. The TN 90 out produced the TN 86 by a small margin but this was probably due to my short growing season. I will be planting both again this year. Both are excellent plants with heavy yields and high quality leaf, but in my climate I give TN 90 the edge for its shorter time to maturity.

Status
Not open for further replies.