Buy Tobacco Leaf Online | Whole Leaf Tobacco

Containers for Shredded Tobacco

Status
Not open for further replies.

janetta007

I use a lot of Zip Lock bags, but for long-term storage, I have to keep them within my humidor, to prevent gradual drying. Freezer bags are a more effective vapor barrier than standard storage bags, but both still allow the loss of moisture. (I sometimes use a large Zip Lock to allow tobacco that is a bit too moist to slowly dry out.)

Any kind of jar with a snug lid will maintain tobacco at the original level of moisture--both a feature and a risk.
Bob

I have empty 1lb. pipe tobacco bags, would those work better than freezer bags? Would a small silica gel packet in the bag help with the moisture?
Janetta

deluxestogie

Administrator
Staff member
The commercial "pipe" tobacco bags are just polyethylene, and probably won't work any better than freezer bags. The "pipe" tobacco stays moist in them as a result of the added humectants and casings.

The essential question is whether or not your ambient conditions are too dry or too wet. Silica gel will progressively dry the tobacco.

Nesting 2 or 3 bags reduces the vapor transport exponentially.

Bob

Jack in NB

Founding Member
I use recycled plastic bags that used to hold the 3 bags of milk. Each holds up to a pound and a half of shredded product; I fold them over (3 folds) and hold the flap with masking tape. Then I stuff this into a second bag, fold, tape it,and label it with variety, crop year, and gross weight.

These are flexible, allowing compact storage in boxes or milk crates. The boxes have labels telling what's in each.

Some have been 2 years in storage in my shop attic. The seal seems to hold the moisture level pretty much as bagged. I store mine quite dry, and the odd one gains a few grams; most stay as bagged.

holyRYO

I have empty 1lb. pipe tobacco bags, would those work better than freezer bags? Would a small silica gel packet in the bag help with the moisture?
Janetta

The 1 lb pipe tobacco bags work best in my experience. They are made out of a harder plastic, and they are printed over most of the surface with ink to seal the pores in the plastic, this retards moisture migration. Double Ziplock bags next best imo. Single freezer bag next. Single Ziplock least.

RyanM22

Are fiberboard cans like the ones Copenhagen uses available for retail anywhere?

ArizonaDave

When it's made of plastic, it is called a low profile jar.

2 oz., 2.9" diameter: http://www.usplastic.com/catalog/item.aspx?sku=66721
4.oz. http://www.usplastic.com/catalog/item.aspx?sku=66722

Bob

Thanks Bob, I was looking for that link, remembering you've shared it before. Those would work well, but some want the fiberboard type bottom, it could be a fiber cardboard compressed of some kind.

This is more expensive, BUT unused:

http://www.ebay.com/itm/Snus-Dip-Ch...tainless-Steel-Many-Types-Snuff-/180922025286

RyanM22

Checked out those links - no beans. Can't find these anywhere

ArizonaDave

Checked out those links - no beans. Can't find these anywhere

Yeah, but that won't stop us from looking until we find it! It could be a special order type of thing.

I occasionally chew, and the Brazilian Mata Fina is great for that, so is Criollo 98'. Some people get Dark air and mix it with the Fire Cured, that's on my list to try.

Status
Not open for further replies.