Buy Tobacco Leaf Online | Whole Leaf Tobacco

SmokeStack's 2013 Grow Blog

Status
Not open for further replies.

SmokeStack

I will start my first grow blog of the 2013 season with a list of the tobacco varieties that I intend on planting:

• Yellow Orinoco (50)
  • Vuelto Abajo (25)
  • Connecticut Shade Leaf (30)
  • Isleta Pueblo (25)
  • Yellow Twist Bud (25)
  • Little Yellow (25)
  • Italian Bright Leaf (25)
  • Kentucky (25)

For almost all of my tobaccos, I will grow 25 plants; however, for Yellow Orinoco I will double that figure to 50. Much of my Yellow Orinoco crop from last year was destroyed by mold. For the little quantity I have remaining, I treasure it like gold. Of all the samples of Virginias that I smoked, none had the flavor and aroma of Yellow Orinoco - even fresh out of the kiln. I can only imagine what aging will do.

Jitterbug sent me a sample of Vuelta Abajo seeds. I am anxious to try this Cuban seed.

For Connecticut Shade Leaf, I have a great spot for it to grow. I am not going to cover them with anything to provide shade. I will leave that up to Mother Nature. I will plant the Connecticut Shade Leaf in a location that gets some morning sun, but otherwise it is under the shade from large trees

I was able to recover Isleta Pueblo from last years crop and it smokes great even without kilning. I works well in a cigarette blend. A little to harsh for the pipe so I will have to kiln the Isleta Pueblo to get better results.

I have to grow a Burley, so I decided on Yellow Twist Bud. I heard much praise for this tobacco.

Little Yellow - now this is one I am curious about the most. It is a Dark Air variety and I have no idea what to expect.

Italian Bright Leaf grew well last year. But I lost most of it as it completely dried green during the curing process. It is fast growing and is ready to harvest in less than 60 days maximum. During this short time, it reaches a height of 4 feet and produces a bounty of huge leaves.

'Kentucky' tobacco is commonly smoked in Europe. When I went to Italy and Spain, their premium pipe tobaccos were 'Kentucky' blends. Somehow these blends never made it to the US marketplace. In fact, I ordered my 'Kentucky' seed from Germany (http://www.tabakanbau.de) along with some Sumatra Besuki. For those members who tried to order from www.tabakanbau.de before, they have changed their policy to make transactions to the USA much easier. At first they wanted me to wire the money for the transaction - it costs $45 at my bank to do so. But now, they are accepting payments via PayPal which makes things much easier and cheaper. Although the seeds a somewhat on the costly side, but they do provide free shipping to the USA. So all-in-all I would recommend this website as a good source for purchasing tobacco seed. They have an inventory of tobacco seeds that are not readily available from US vendors, especially they have several Oriental varieties. I would definitely visit their website. The only problem is that the website is written in German. I had to copy and paste the German text into Google translator, but it was not that difficult.

I am considering growing a Maryland variety such as Catterton or Keller, but I am uncertain since I am trying to limit my list of tobaccos.

I will be sowing the seeds soon!:)

SmokeStack

Well, I have to downsize my planting this year. It think 280 plants is biting off more than I can chew. I think that I will start planting the following this year:

1. 15 Harrow Velvet
  2. 25 Isleta Pueblo
  3. 20 Kentucky
  4. 15 Madole
  5. 20 Vuelta Abajo
  6. 25 Yellow Orinoco
  7. 15 Yellow Twist Bud
  8. 15 Orientals - see below

I have not decided which Oriental to plant. I checked my seed inventory and I was surprised to find the seeds that I obtained from GRIN a couple of years ago. I thought I had just two packets, but, as it turns out, I have 5 packets:

1. Adiyaman (PI 494145)
  2. Balikesir (PI 494147)
  3. Karabaglar (PI 481867)
  4. Trabzon (PI 494164)
  5. Yayladag (PI 481856)

I am hoping that these seeds (which were obtained for either the 2010 or the 2011 growing season - I can't remember) will germinate. I want to select one and try to germinate it so I can collect the seeds at the end of this growing season. I am not sure about 2 things:

• Will these seeds germinate after all this time?
  • Which variety should I choose?

In conclusion, I had difficulty trying to decide which variety to grow so I think I will grow 15 Yayladag since it seems to be more popular than the other varieties. And then a couple plants of the remaining four varieties to collect some fresh seed. It seems that these varieties are relatively hard to come by - I have not seen an online tobacco seed supplier selling these varieties. I just hope that these seeds will germinate after 2 to 3 years old.

EDIT/ADDED Which of the five aforementioned Oriental varieties will yield the most aromatic and/or strongest smoke?

deluxestogie

Administrator
Staff member
Properly stored, tobacco seed should be viable for 10 or more years.

Trabzon is not in the FTT seed bank, and would for that reason be a good choice for a grow-out. Trabzon is a Samsun type Oriental, but reported to be somewhat stronger. I would suggest planting at least 3 instances.

Bob

ADDENDUM: Trabzon will likely be the strongest of the lot.

SmokesAhoy

Founding Member
just regarding germination, those seeds are still fresh, figure 10% loss per year

SmokeStack

I purchased some seeds of a strain called Bosikappal. From what I understand it is a strain native to India. The leaves are very narrow and the plant grows to a height of 2 to 2 1/2 feet. It is not a big producer, but since it is supposed to have a distinct aroma so I decided to grow a few plants. I have never heard of this strain before. I searched GRIN and found nothing. I purchased the plant seeds from http://heirloomtobacco.com/, and from their description they have classified Bosikappal as a primitive type. I was wondering if anyone is familiar with this strain.
bosik1.jpg

Knucklehead

Founding Member
I can't wait to see the reviews of your tobacco. That's a very interesting grow list. I saw the Bosikappal on their website and was curious about it and several of the varieties you plan to grow.

SmokeStack

I am trying to plant a little bit of everything. If curing works out this year, I would be happy as hell. Last year was my first. Everything was OK but since I got a new job, I was busy and late to harvest most of my crop. Here in Michigan, the dry, cold air sets in late September. Most of my crop dried out green. This year I will plant a lot earlier and harvest earlier - I have my fingers crossed.

Chicken

redneck grower
Founding Member
BOBORO sent me some green '' yellow ornico'' i dried and cured it, and was very pleased with it,

i agree, with your opinion on that type bacca,,, a really good '' mix'' to add anything with,,

SmokeStack

I have managed to salvage a small amount of Yellow Orinoco from last season. I was pleasantly surprised at its flavor and aroma - I did not expect that. For now on I will be growing Yellow Orinoco every season.

I should growing a few different varieties of air-cured Virginias each season. I may never know - I could be pleasantly surprised again. Next year I want to grow a few plants of each: Hickory Pryor, Southern Beauty and Silk Leaf. Any recommendations for Virginias?

BarG

Founding Member
I'm growing Virginia bright leaf and southern beauty this year, last year I did a few virginia gold. I tried some air stalk cured bright leaf and I prefer it over the gold, I think it is a little more flavorful and sweeter smell. But my vig. gold is getting better with a little age, as is most of last years crop.

geomist

Thanks for posting your grow blog. Haven't had a chance to fully review your log yet; I landed in this thread after checking out your thread regarding published books on growing tobacco. Has the 1972 version of the textbook (T.C. Tso) been useful in any particular aspect of your grow? Have you come across any other useful published material? Apologies for interrupting your log. And thanks again!

SmokeStack

Geomist, unfortunately I have not had the time to read the book thoroughly, but there are some interesting topics. I bought it used on Amazon so it was inexpensive. If you do decide to get the book, I would get the 1991 version. It is more expensive, but someone on the forum said that there has been a lot more research done in the 20 years between the two editions. I like books so it was worth it for me to purchase it. The newer edition is much more expensive - I myself would hesitate buying that one. However, curiosity will get the best of me and I will end up buying it someday. The older edition has a nice set of colored pictures showing tobacco plants with mineral deficiencies or damage by various microorganisms. There's a little bit of scientific jargon though. If you are serious about growing especially as a hobby, I would invest in either of the two editions.

Status
Not open for further replies.