Buy Tobacco Leaf Online | Whole Leaf Tobacco

Crockpot toasted tobacco

Status
Not open for further replies.

DrBob

Founding Member
I just found another use for the crockpot!
I tried using it to toast tobacco. All i did was fill the crockpot with shredded tobacco and let it bake for about 4 hours on the medium setting. Did that ever tame it down! When it was done I just re-hydratred it and it was good to go. No more stinking up the oven.

darren1979

First Time Grower
Thats a good idea, did you stir it half way through? Im just waiting for the oven cleaner to do its job after toasting my burley this morning. The better half will not be happy with me otherwise.

DrBob

Founding Member
no I did not stir it as it was getting very brittle and I did not want dust. I used to put it in the oven at 180 in a cake pan but it did stink up the house to mama"s dismay. The crockpot was a no brainer and worked good enough for me. Toasting does wonders to mellow down tobacco.

Bob

leverhead

Damn, you're just full of good ideas. Now the gubment will have another piece of tobacco related equipment to control the size of. Shredders, Magazines and steam tables, they're going to need to do some hiring pretty soon.

"TTB intends to provide additional guidance regarding the selling of such machines, and the meaning of the term "personal use quantities"
in relation to the sales of machines, as the need arises."

DrBob

Founding Member
The next time I try it I think I will add a couple of ounces of water to the pot after the toasting is done put the lid on and let it steam the tobacco until it is just right. I like simple things and this may prove to be a good trick without stinking up the oven.
Bob

Frozenthunderbolt

Have you read Deluxestogie's thread on making Cavendish? The crock pot may work well for that also if you can find a way to suspend the leaf. http://fairtradetobacco.com/showthread.php?637-Making-Black-Cavendish-Pipe-Tobacco

Interesting thought, but i think based on the conventional and pressure cooking times required, you would be looking at days of cooking time with a crock pot. This said it does have the bonus of 'set and forget-ability' without worrying with boiling the pot dry and ruining it. . . hmmmm

DrBob

Founding Member
I toasted another load in the crockpot yesterday. It was shredded burley this time. I put it on HI for 4 hours with a partially open lid. Afterwards I turned the crockpot off, misted the top of the tobacco with about 2 oz. of water sealed the lid and just let it cool a couple of hours. It rehydrated nicely and was much smoother.
I like simple

DrBob

Founding Member
I did not weigh the tobacco but it was about a pound. I filled the pot with tobacco and did not stir it.

JohnnyM

Well, I tried it. Put the tobacco in the crock pot after spraying it with some casing, put it on high, and ended up burning a good portion of it about 90 minutes later. It's a learning experience...

Aaron

do you think it may have been the casing that burned rather than the leaf? I've had good luck putting my leaf inside a metal bowl and floating that on a couple inches of water. Then by partially covering the crockpot with the lid I can adjust the amount of moisture to keep the leaf just shy of bone dry.

Gmac

I toasted some very harsh 1 year old burley I got from an extension agent friend in middle Tennesee in the crock pot using Dr. Bob's second method. It turned out great you can smoke it alone in a Cigarette, very smooth. Before that you could look at it and cough. Thanks, Dr.

Gmac

Smokin Harley

interesting idea. Theres a second hand store nearby and they almost always have crock pots there. Some are barely used . All appliances they sell are tested and in working order before going on the shelf. Looks like once I get my crop grown I have a good idea how to process it , few sheets of foam from home depot and a crock pot from the 2nd hand store. I scored 3 -3"computer fans on a remodel job I just finished up. problem is they are 12 volt so how do I step down from 120 to 12 volt with a thermostat to control it?

Knucklehead

Founding Member
interesting idea. Theres a second hand store nearby and they almost always have crock pots there. Some are barely used . All appliances they sell are tested and in working order before going on the shelf. Looks like once I get my crop grown I have a good idea how to process it , few sheets of foam from home depot and a crock pot from the 2nd hand store. I scored 3 -3"computer fans on a remodel job I just finished up. problem is they are 12 volt so how do I step down from 120 to 12 volt with a thermostat to control it?

Rob the power supply from a computer.

Bex used cell phone chargers to power hers.

DrBob

Founding Member
I must admit that I left some in the crockpot too long and burned the whole batch. It aint bulletproof

Status
Not open for further replies.