Buy Tobacco Leaf Online | Whole Leaf Tobacco

Boboro's 2013 grow log.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Boboro

Im goin to try to start some seed in paper tywoles in a bag Then put them in cells to keep from havein to start them in flats To save time and space. I have not done this before so Ill go ahead and try a few now. I think I read that someone started seed this way.

Knucklehead

Founding Member
BigBonner posted a method that worked great for me during germination tests. Take a plastic jar like a peanut butter jar. Wet some grow dirt and squeeze the water out. Put the dirt and seed in the jar, and shake them up. Then just set the jar somewhere on it's side. It works like a little greenhouse. I started some seed I was worried about to see if they would come up. They did. This was six weeks ago or longer and they are still sitting in my window. I haven't added any water since the first time I got the dirt damp. The jar is still getting condensation on it inside. The plants are still alive. They are tall and falling over but doing good. Big said after they have sprouted, just dump them out and pick up the little plants and put them in the cells. After my experiment I am a believer. I'm doing all mine this way this year. His post was buried in somebody else's thread somewhere and I've searched and searched for it and can't find it so I sent him a PM and asked him to start his own thread describing the method. If he will I'm going to ask the mods to make it a sticky. It's a start 'em and forget 'em kind of deal until they're ready for the cells.

Knucklehead

Founding Member
You only need about a 1/4 to 3/8" of dirt with the jar on it's side. About a fistfull.

johnlee1933

Founding Member
BigBonner posted a method that worked great for me during germination tests. Take a plastic jar like a peanut butter jar. Wet some grow dirt and squeeze the water out. Put the dirt and seed in the jar, and shake them up. Then just set the jar somewhere on it's side. It works like a little greenhouse. I started some seed I was worried about to see if they would come up. They did. This was six weeks ago or longer and they are still sitting in my window. I haven't added any water since the first time I got the dirt damp. The jar is still getting condensation on it inside. The plants are still alive. They are tall and falling over but doing good. Big said after they have sprouted, just dump them out and pick up the little plants and put them in the cells. After my experiment I am a believer. I'm doing all mine this way this year. His post was buried in somebody else's thread somewhere and I've searched and searched for it and can't find it so I sent him a PM and asked him to start his own thread describing the method. If he will I'm going to ask the mods to make it a sticky. It's a start 'em and forget 'em kind of deal until they're ready for the cells.
I have to admit I'm skeptical but I gone thru my life being surprised by stuff I knew wouldn't work. So I gave it a try tonight. I've worked with closed ecosystems before. Now I'll just wait and see.

Knucklehead

Founding Member
I started out unscrewing the lid once a day but once I figured the experiment a success I quit doing it. They're still going strong and I haven't touched it in a couple weeks or more.

Boboro

The seed I started on 2-21 is showin green specks. 5 days if math is right. The seed was silk leif from 2011. The paper towel and baggy method was used.

Chicken

redneck grower
Founding Member
ive seen it but never used it,

i try to stay organic, i order my nutrients online, usually from a head-shop.

they got the best selection of organic products on the market,

then i'll go on amazon and order, it, after looking at the info. on the head shop site,

but you cant go wrong with micronutrients,

you got your worm killer stocked yet,?????????

i got one bottle, and will be in the area monday, at a feed store that sells the good stuff, '' southern ag'' product, i'll maybe get 2 bottles there,

Boboro

I put seedling in peat cups with Miraciegro pottin soil it has slow release fetalizer in it.I had It damp with waterand Superthrive. The seedlings in the jar looked better. The ones in the paper towel were stuck to it and had to be teased off. I have 5 from the jar and 5 from the paper towel.

Status
Not open for further replies.