Buy Tobacco Leaf Online | Whole Leaf Tobacco

Hello from north alabama

Status
Not open for further replies.

DGBAMA

I learned of growing tobacco last summer and have been reading this wonderful resource heavily since then. It was too late in the season for me to grow any last year so am looking forward to doing my first grow this year. Finally signed up today and will continue to read and learn as growing season approaches. I want to contribute when I can but being first year will probably be mostly listening and asking an occasional question.

I will be working with a limited growing area, probably 50-75 plants; and trying to maintain them along with a 50+hr/wk job. I have settled on two varieties I want to try; silver river & YTB. both seem to be heavy yielders which I need with my limited space and the hint of menthol folks talk about from the SR really interests me. Both of these seem to be condusive to air curing too which is also important to me. I also would like to grow a turkish variety if someone can suggest one which has good yield and is easy to cure.

If anyone has seeds for the SR or YTB they would like to sell I would prefer to get them from a member here than some random internet source. Willing to pay a fair price.

Looking forward to my first year growing. If I can have 7ft tall tomato plants I am truly excited about seeing what tobacco can do.

Boboro

Wellcome to the form neighbor. I live in NE MS. 30 miles south of Tupelo. I didnt save seed last year so I cant help with that. I had trouble with germination on SR. Start them early And get more seed than you need.

DGBAMA

Primarily a cig smoker. like an occasional cigar, but as little as I smoke them probably not worth the trouble of figuring out binders, fillers, and wrappers. Quit smoking for right at a year with ecigs but that got to be a headache and not as enjoyable. Turned to ryo a couple months ago to save cost and look forward to growing my way to self suffeciency.

DGBAMA

thinking starting seeds indoors toward end of March should be about right for us southerners?

buckeyebob

Organic tobacco Guru
I have been to Alabama and would think you could grow some serious baccy there. An old friend of my family who happened to be a great old black lady from Alabam that moved to the Buckeye had a garden every year that made all the neighbors envious . We would always save the remnants of our fish cutting parties for her which she quickly dispatched to her garden soil . Except the eyeballs which she fried up for the neighborhood kids . I never worked up the courage to try them but the kids loved em .I remember her collard greens the best of which I have ever had. I don't know what she did to them but I have not found anything near their perfection since . Sadly , she took that recipe to Glory with her last year.

FmGrowit

Head Honcho
Staff member
Welcome.

Your choices will help you a lot when it comes to harvesting. The YTB is an early variety and the SR is very late. Both should do very well in your location.

Chicken

redneck grower
Founding Member
i think the perfect cigg, blend needs at least 4 different types of bacca in it,

you may want to pick 2 more, your 2 right now are good, but you may want a strong burley or 2,

what your picking rihght now i will be growing, but i consider them a mixing bacca,,, something i add to my burley, but for a '' light'' smoke alone they are fine,

but if you want a little kick to your smoke, your gonna need a burley in there,

and welcome aboard,

DGBAMA

Welcome.

Your choices will help you a lot when it comes to harvesting. The YTB is an early variety and the SR is very late. Both should do very well in your location.

Thanks for the note on harvest FM. I have to admit being a bit overwhelmed at the thought of picking/hanging/curing hundreds of individual leaves. Nice to know the two strains have such different timelines. Would you have a recommendation for a turkish variety with good yield and suitable for air-curing?

DGBAMA

i think the perfect cigg, blend needs at least 4 different types of bacca in it,

you may want to pick 2 more, your 2 right now are good, but you may want a strong burley or 2,

what your picking rihght now i will be growing, but i consider them a mixing bacca,,, something i add to my burley, but for a '' light'' smoke alone they are fine,

but if you want a little kick to your smoke, your gonna need a burley in there,

and welcome aboard,

My understanding is that the YTB is a burley variety.? Am I off somewhere with that idea? If you have a recommendation for a particular strain I would love to hear it. I am fairly limited on space so a good per-plant yield and "easy" air-curing are very important to me for this first year grow. Thanks for your reply.

FmGrowit

Head Honcho
Staff member
Thanks for the note on harvest FM. I have to admit being a bit overwhelmed at the thought of picking/hanging/curing hundreds of individual leaves. Nice to know the two strains have such different timelines. Would you have a recommendation for a turkish variety with good yield and suitable for air-curing?

You can't go wrong with Bursa. It gets big leaves and stalk cures great.

FmGrowit

Head Honcho
Staff member
I'd also like to suggest priming the YTB as it tends to get very strong when stalk cured.

I don't have enough experience with Silver River to recommend the best curing approach, but I'm sure other members do.

The Bursa is also a very tasty variety.

johnlee1933

Founding Member
I'd also like to suggest priming the YTB as it tends to get very strong when stalk cured. The Bursa is also a very tasty variety.
I primed my YTB last year and I agree with Bob. It tuns out I don't care for it and will not grow it again. I do plan on a few Bursa plants this year. -·-

Chicken

redneck grower
Founding Member
i have heard some people like y.t.b. all by itself, in a cigg blend,

the silver river for me was a good producer, big/many leaves per plant,

i really like the bursa, mass producer, i grew 24 of them, and had a lot of bursa,

it really depends if you like a strong or light smoke,

DGBAMA

i have heard some people like y.t.b. all by itself, in a cigg blend,

the silver river for me was a good producer, big/many leaves per plant,

i really like the bursa, mass producer, i grew 24 of them, and had a lot of bursa,

it really depends if you like a strong or light smoke,

"strong smoke" is so subjective. I do like a FULL FLAVORED smoke; but not necessarily a "strong" smoke. Mellow but with plenty of flavor. Would you have seeds from all three you would be willing to part with?

VA Gold also seems to have some good qualities, but not sure I am ready to take on the additional curing processes that it seems to need to reach its full potential.

BigBonner

Founding Member
Bursa is on the right and dark fire on the left .
4uVvj.jpg

Status
Not open for further replies.