Buy Tobacco Leaf Online | Whole Leaf Tobacco

Old tobacco hand tied press

Status
Not open for further replies.

BigBonner

Founding Member
Here is the way farmers use to prepare their crop to go to the market .

UoE4x2y.jpg

oFaJL59.jpg

pjKNH60.jpg

6vb3gRS.jpg

DXzQd9g.jpg

rVHsMMd.jpg

lAHtDXX.jpg

dm9T3Mq.jpg

Chicken

redneck grower
Founding Member
makes sense compressing the hands, to get more of them in a bundle,

and i do reconize the BIG-BONNER tied hands, in the photo,

man you got hand tieing to a art.

leverhead

I like that kind of old stuff! The eye bolt hinges are a classic! They'll rust off long before you would ever need a lubricant. It still interests me to see how things were made that you could store in a barn and it would still work next season.

BigBonner

Founding Member
Old stuff ?

That makes me feel old . I used these when I was younger .I guess im hitting the remember when stage of life .
The sticks of tobacco was loaded on a truck on the stick and taken to the market . The sticks of tobacco was placed on tobacco baskets and the sticks were pulled out .

leverhead

I just finished up a day of granddaughter duty, it's almost bedtime for Papa. I usually only feel old in the mornings.

My Granddad had a barn built into a hill, the cellar was drive in if it wasn't too wet. Dairy cows on the floor above and a hay loft above that. He used to keep the seasonal stuff in the cellar. Iron or steel would rust like hell, but all that stuff would still turn or move like it was supposed to. Making stuff that will keep working in the real world is a bitch. I've always admired how things were made when the material of choice for square footage or structure was wood, metal was just for hardware. Now they know how to make things, you've got to replace them every ten years or less.

johnlee1933

Founding Member
Old stuff ?

That makes me feel old . I used these when I was younger .I guess im hitting the remember when stage of life .
The sticks of tobacco was loaded on a truck on the stick and taken to the market . The sticks of tobacco was placed on tobacco baskets and the sticks were pulled out .
I assume you got the sticks back? -·-

BigBonner

Founding Member
I assume you got the sticks back? -·-

We got the sticks back . The old timmers would make the hands look neat and they also picked the slicker sticks so they would come out easy without tareing the tobacco .

I would bet these are 100 years old .

Michibacy

Northern tobacco grower
Very cool BigB. I might have to take a look at it, is it just a latch that holds pressure down or is there some kind of weight?

Also, would you be able to have 2 or 3 stalk spikes available Saturday? I'll pay ya for 'em, just let me know how much

BigBonner

Founding Member
The rod in front is curved at the bottom and when you raise the handel it presses the door tight , tight .

I will look and see about the tobacco spears . Those seem to get lost when cutting comes around . I have been waiting to find one stuck in my tractor tire .
Saturday looks good weather wise it is supposed to be 33 degrees .

Status
Not open for further replies.