Buy Tobacco Leaf Online | Whole Leaf Tobacco

slow roller

Status
Not open for further replies.

webmost

Takes me twenty to twenty five minutes per stick. Time I strip stems, bunch the filler, cut the binder, stretch the binder, bind it, roll it back and forth, cut the wrapper, wrap it, roll it back and forth, trim it, cut a cap, stick the cap on, admire my handiwork... I look at the clock and where did the time go.

Seems awful slow. Is it?

johnlee1933

Founding Member
Takes me twenty to twenty five minutes per stick. Time I strip stems, bunch the filler, cut the binder, stretch the binder, bind it, roll it back and forth, cut the wrapper, wrap it, roll it back and forth, trim it, cut a cap, stick the cap on, admire my handiwork... I look at the clock and where did the time go. Seems awful slow. Is it?
Yeah that may seem slow but things take time. I rib my leaf and during ribbing I select leaves I think I can use as binder. I cut the filler to cigar lengths and then store both in vapor resistant bags to adjust the case. I do the same with my different wrappers and store then in plastic Chinese take out containers, again to adjust case. The wrapper is kept at higher case but never so damp it will mold. None of this storage is long term and I keep an eye out for mold all the time. Now I am all set. I'll watch a movie on the box and crank out a few. For me it is relaxing. As an aside I do not cap my cigars. I hard twist the ends. It's quicker and I never had any luck capping.

deluxestogie

Administrator
Staff member
I agree. It just takes time. In the cigar factory videos, they roll one in 30 seconds, but all of the tedious, time-consuming steps are done by other workers.

After rolling two to five cigars a day for the past several years, it takes me about 10 minutes for a one-off cigar starting from unselected, unstemmed leaf. On the rare occasions that I've rolled a batch of cigars (as a gift), I do the stemming and prepping, and set up little stacks of the filler components. After that, it's only about 3 minutes per cigar--factory assembly line fashion. I much prefer rolling one cigar each time I decide to smoke one. Like John, I find it relaxing.

Bob

webmost

Never thought of prepping the leaves beforehand. Always assumed they'd keep best on the stem.

Status
Not open for further replies.