Buy Tobacco Leaf Online | Whole Leaf Tobacco

2013 Tobacco seed list

Status
Not open for further replies.

Jitterbugdude

Founding Member
I always mark my seed as: "Xanthi Yaka (Yenidje)"
It is often referred to both ways so I figure I have all the bases covered by using both names

istanbulin

Founding Member
Actually, Yenidje is not the same tobacco with Xanthi Yaka. Most of pipe smokers know McClelland's Yenidje Supreme which contains Xanthi Yaka and Djebel. The name of the (British) tobacco company "Yenidje Tobacco Co." and the blend really impressed pipe smokers so everyone thought that Yenidje = Xanthi Yaka. There're two towns named Yenidje (or Yenice or Genisea or Yenidze). One is located in Xanthi (Genisea), other one is located in Çanakkale (Yenice). In Greece, Genisea located in Xanthi Region so Xanthi tobacco is growing there. But in Turkey, Yenice/Çanakkale, there's a variety of Balıkesir tobacco called Yenice. Also Yenice never resembles Xanthi tobacco, their plant morphology and characteristics are really different.

deluxestogie

Administrator
Staff member
So far as I have been able to determine, ARS-GRIN offers no mention of Yenidje. This suggests to me that no Greek agricultural authority ever sent seed labeled as such to the ARS-GRIN during its century of existence. Constantinides 1910 book provides the connection of Xanthi Yaka with Yenidje. Where did "Yenidje" seed come from--or more to the point, who named it "Yenidje?"

Bob

deluxestogie

Administrator
Staff member
The most clear difference is; while Xanthi Yaka has wavy leaves (it's very clear on the leaf margins), Yenice has flat leaves.
I'll post this photo again:
TurkishSpacingXanthi_568_upperLeaf_400.jpg

This Xanthi Yaka (#18a) PI 552418 was derived from ARS-GRIN seed acquired in 1962 directly from Greece, so there is no question about its provenance. I would not consider the margins to be wavy. Perhaps denser planting together with sun-curing might make them wavy.

Bob

istanbulin

Founding Member
So far as I have been able to determine, ARS-GRIN offers no mention of Yenidje. This suggests to me that no Greek agricultural authority ever sent seed labeled as such to the ARS-GRIN during its century of existence. Constantinides 1910 book provides the connection of Xanthi Yaka with Yenidje. Where did "Yenidje" seed come from--or more to the point, who named it "Yenidje?"

As I know, until 1829 Genisea (Yenidje) was the center of that region (which also covers Xanthi). In 1870, the city of Genisea was burned down and thus all of the agencies and services were transferred to Xanthi. So Xanthi became the center of the region. Before 1870 Xanthi tobacco might be called Yenidje but I think that the name of the tobacco also changed after this issue. They may have genetic roots of course (Xanthi and Greek Yenidje) but there's no tobacco in the world called Yenice besides the Balıkesir variety of Yenice today.

FmGrowit

Head Honcho
Staff member
As a side note to the seed list...

There are MANY more seeds than are listed. Only one listing of each variety is posted, but there may be as many as 7 - 8 different years and donors for the same variety.

Someday when I have time, I'll attempt to list all of them.

ChuckP

As a side note to the seed list...

There are MANY more seeds than are listed. Only one listing of each variety is posted, but there may be as many as 7 - 8 different years and donors for the same variety.

Someday when I have time, I'll attempt to list all of them.
have a
Howdy Don,

I just my seeds for grow out - Monte Calme Brun (my request), Long Red and No 3732 TI 528. Thanks for all your hard work!!! While I researching the No. 3732 TI 528 variety, I noticed that the seed bank is down to 50 seeds of Black Mammoth. I forgot if I sent some of my 2010 Black Mammoth seed? I probably have about another 100 seeds I could pass along, if needed. I'm planning on bagging a plant or two this year anyway. This variety is a staple for me along with Penn Red and a Havana variety.

Also, I have about 50 - 100 Long Red seeds, so I can add some of my seed stock to ensure that we get this variety back up into the black for next year. A big thanks to DeluxeStogie for the MCB and #3732 from Turrinba (sp?)! Looking forward to trying these varieties.

Let me know about the Black Mammoth seeds?
Chuck

COLIN

Is there still time to apply for seed for forum members in New Zealand. I am trying to find some Costello, Dixie bright, Gold leaf and Virginia bright.

COLIN

I have just completed cleaning last years flower heads. For those N Z growers wishing to get this seed they will need to PM for my address they will also need to send a self addressed envelope. The verities I have available is Maryland. Kelly Burley. FL Surmartra. Little Dutch. PA Red. Rose. Kentucky Burley. Oronico. Bafra and Hickory Fryer.

Hasse SWE

Founding Member
The tobacco I have in the fridge are: WISCONSIN SEEDLEAF, HAVANA # 503B, ORINOCO, TENNESSE Redleaf, SMALL STALK BLACK MAMMOTH, ALIDA (ÅHUS TOBACCO), Bolivian "Criollo" Black Tobacco, Standard Burley Tobacco and maybe a little Jupiter (Burley) on it now just want to get flowers.

Maybe you would be interested in any of these?

BarG

Founding Member
I have just completed cleaning last years flower heads. For those N Z growers wishing to get this seed they will need to PM for my address they will also need to send a self addressed envelope. The verities I have available is Maryland. Kelly Burley. FL Surmartra. Little Dutch. PA Red. Rose. Kentucky Burley. Oronico. Bafra and Hickory Fryer.
Yea for down under Colin

ChuckP

Howdy Y'all!

Sorry, I've been busy lately - Family issues, work, cold weather (Oh yeah, it's really global warming), etc. I have the seeds filtered out and will send them off to Akron tomorrow. They go to FM right?

Please let me know. Thanks!

Status
Not open for further replies.