Buy Tobacco Leaf Online | Whole Leaf Tobacco

Native Tobaccos of Australia

Status
Not open for further replies.

istanbulin

Founding Member
As you know, N. tabacum contains some alkaloids uncluding nicotine but also they contain trace amounts of nornicotine, anabasine and others. But wild tobaccos generally contains more amount of noxious alkaloids. For example "Tree Tobacco" (N. glauca) has really very high amounts of anabasine.

We all know the smoker Native Americans. They used to smoke native Nicotiana spp. (wild tobaccos) which naturally grown in America. But there is (or was) another indigenous people smoking different Nicotiana spp. in an other continent, in Australia, Aborigines.

The Nicotiana variety " Nicotiana amplexicaulis " has really close to N. tabacum. No, it's not related with the genetics, its amount of the alkaloids is very close to the common tobacco. As an average, nicotine ratio by total alkaloids is 95 % in common tobacco but this ratio is 99.2 % in N. amplexicaulis. Also, it's nornicotine content is 87.5 % lower than N. tabacum and besides this its anabasine content is 75 % lower than common tobacco (N. tabacum).

We know that nornicotine is a precursor to the carcinogen N-nitrosonornicotine that is produced during the curing and processing of tobacco. If we use a leaf which contains lower amount of nornicotine, after curing or aging there will be lower amount of carcinogenic compounds in it. I don't know the taste of N. amplexicaulis but it may be a good start to create a new variety or if we find it we can try it alone if it's smokable or not.

Here are some info and photos of N. amplexicaulis below.

It reaches up to 1.3 m height with a densely pubescent (hairy) stalk and leaves.

Lower leaves are elliptic, the upper ones are narrowly elliptic. Lamina is up to 22 (occasionally to 30) cm in length. Lower leaves are petiolate and broadly winged, auriculate and stem-clasping. Upper leaves are sessile.

N.amplexicaulishab1.jpg NICAMPL.jpg

N.amplexicaulis tube hair type.jpg Namplexicaulis corolla face.jpg

Australian friends in the forum, here's the distribution map of N. amplexicaulis but may be you may find it in your own area, in the event of a finding case let us know :)

Capture.JPG

istanbulin

Founding Member
This is really interesting! What would be better, if i knew somebody there.

There're more than 10 wild tobacco varieties in Australia, a heaven of wild tobaccos ! This variety is generally common in Queensland (as seen from the map). I have some relatives in Australia but they're living in Victoria.

SmokesAhoy

Founding Member
Is anything not illegal in Australia? I heard they're working on knives next

deluxestogie

Administrator
Staff member
I wasn't trying to make a political comment. If we have FTT forum readers in Austrailia, they have wisely avoided drawing attention to themselves.

Bob

Randy

I have read also that not allowed to grow tobacco there myself...just wait..there comimg for us also!!!

Randy

FmGrowit

Head Honcho
Staff member
In the past 30 days, we've had 6103 visitors to the site (does not include bots and spiders)... 3 of which have been from Aussies. I'm thinking those people are scared shitless of tobacco or they're being blocked from the site somehow.

416 visits have been from New Zealand. These numbers are illogical.

Seanz

In the past 30 days, we've had 6103 visitors to the site (does not include bots and spiders)... 3 of which have been from Aussies. I'm thinking those people are scared shitless of tobacco or they're being blocked from the site somehow.

416 visits have been from New Zealand. These numbers are illogical.

More kiwis turning on to the homegrown, Down here we like to think we have a green thumb, and maybe they think since we grow the best green we need to grow the best brown ;)

istanbulin

Founding Member
There's a record about N. amplexicaulis in ARS-GRIN. It says " Historical record only. Accession is not in the NPGS, contact the donor for availability."

Ok, who was the donor ?

CSIRO
Division of Plant Industry
General Post Office Box 1600
Canberra, Austr. Capital Terr.
Australia 2601

Where the donor collected the seeds ?

Carnarvon Range, Queensland.

Map ?

Capture1.JPG

ARS-GRIN says that N. amplexicaulis is a tertiary genetic relative of tobacco. They also provide a chemical composition info.

DescriptorValueQualifierStudy/Environment
Chemical composition descriptors
ANABASINE0.0SPECIES ALKALOIDS_F 86
ANATABINE0.10SPECIES ALKALOIDS_F 86
NACETYLNRN0.00SPECIES ALKALOIDS_F 86
NICOTINE5.5SPECIES ALKALOIDS_F 86
NNICOTINE0.01SPECIES ALKALOIDS_F 86
TOTALALKA5.62SPECIES ALKALOIDS_F 86

<tbody>
</tbody>

istanbulin

Founding Member

jekylnz

I've got aunties and cousins ova there so I'll ask around
I also emailed the Australian botanical gardens,and the Australian national herbarium,so I'll see what they recon about sourcing some...the add. is-
gpo box 1600
Canberra,act,2601
Australia
For both of them

Last edited:

jekylnz

I also found this aussie wild bacci strain .it grows at Australian national plants of herring island park.it's called austral tobbaco(nicotania suaveolens)
I'll try to find out more about it to see if it's anything like amplexicaulis,levels etc....here's a picture of it

Last edited:

istanbulin

Founding Member
I also found this aussie wild bacci strain .it grows at Australian national plants of herring island park.it's called austral tobbaco(nicotania suaveolens)
I'll try to find out more about it to see if it's anything like amplexicaulis,levels etc....here's a picture of it

It has high amounts of nornicotine (approx. 16 times more than tobacco) and anabasine (approx. 4 times more than tobacco). It may be dangerous to smoke it.

I know that there're more than 20 wild tobacco varieties in Australia but the best one (i think), because of the health issues, is N. amplexicaulis. Other ones really have large amounts of harmful compounds.

Status
Not open for further replies.