Buy Tobacco Leaf Online | Whole Leaf Tobacco

Toasting Process - Flavor - Case

Status
Not open for further replies.

deluxestogie

Administrator
Staff member
Interesting temperature range. My old brain still prefers Fahrenheit, so the burley toasting is 284ºF: 266ºF: 248ºF. It's also interesting that the toasted leaf is brought back to 18-20% moisture before adding the top casing. The Virginia and Oriental (and trash components) are never toasted.

Bob

Boboro

Ive never toasted at that high of a temp. Most of the time I just put it on the wood heaterovernite.

AmaxB

Is an interesting drawing to look at......for the toasting you need to keep in mind a convayor is used so the tobacco is moving through zones. For oven temp would not need to be so high I think. The entire process is interesting and contains usable information.

AmaxB

Good question I would like to know if any one has done it myself, and if so how it worked out as well how it was done?

DonH

I don't know... Toasting is so easy and effective the simple way, I'm not sure there's a need to complicate it in the name of improvements, but then I'm not a tinkerer, so the tinkerers can ignore me. :D

Knucklehead

Founding Member
I had noted some burning or scorching problems in other threads, I was just wondering if the airflow might give a greater margin for error. I can't remember if the problems were mostly due to high heat or too much time.

BigBonner

Founding Member
Open a bag of pipe tobacco , Or at least the ones I have seen and you will see burnt , toatsed tobacco in them .

Knucklehead

Founding Member
Open a bag of pipe tobacco , Or at least the ones I have seen and you will see burnt , toatsed tobacco in them .

Could the black stuff be Cavendish? The failed Burley toasted posts I read said it tasted burnt and nasty.

BigBonner

Founding Member
Could the black stuff be Cavendish? The failed Burley toasted posts I read said it tasted burnt and nasty.

Nope its burley .I know the redryer fairly well and they toast it at high temps . What they do after the toatsing is what makes it taste better ,Thats adding toppings .
Bagged tobacco still has topping and casing added .

BigBonner

Founding Member
Boboro

Topping is the sugars , chocolate , glycering and other mixtures added to tobacco for flavoring .

Lucky strike , would say is or was double toasted . In between toasting , in my opinion ,there was another casing added to double the flavor.

Status
Not open for further replies.