Buy Tobacco Leaf Online | Whole Leaf Tobacco

Ground Prep ?

Status
Not open for further replies.

AmaxB

Good morning guys
Got a question here the ground I intend to use if mowed looks like lawn. If I were to till rows leaving grassy strips in between instead of tilling a whole plot it would look nice making for a pretty garden.
My thought is tilling 2 to 2 &1/2 feet wide from reading I think this would be wide enough, would it?
Depth to till what I have read is as deep as you can, but how deep would be deep enough for the plants to do OK?
Thanks Guys

DonH

I'd do wider. I don't know what region you're in (where's Inwood West? edit: duh I didn't see the Virginia on the next line, so you're in West Virginia) but grass has a tendency to expand its roots so you'll constantly be ripping up sod the whole summer.

darren1979

First Time Grower
When i done mine it was lawn, i decided to rip up the grass and start with clean earth. The reason i done this was we have a lot of slugs and snails so didnt want the little buggers hiding in the grass also cuting the grass would be a pain in the arse. Wheather the grass would take nutrients from the tobacco im not sure.

AmaxB

Yeah hadn't thought of slugs maybe would promote other pest as well. Would look nice and save on the work load but will toss the idea to the bin. Did find this nice article by a man named Bob Kemp answers the how deep question for me:

Hi --
I thought I'd talk a little about how to grow the tobacco outside in a field now. I've already talked about starting the seeds indoors 6-7 weeks before your first average frost, but what do you need to do in the field to prepare to plant and what about during the growing season?

Picking the field - Tobacco requires full sunlight all day. The location of the field should give the maximum of direct sunlight without shade possible. At the very least, you must have 8 hours of full sunlight. Try to make sure the field isn't on a hillside with an extreme slope unless you are able to control flooding and runoff erosion. Make sure the field isn't in a place where flooding occurs and water is likely to stand. If so, you may need to consider using raised beds. Tobacco does not like to have its feet in standing water.

The first thing to be aware of is that the soil should be well-worked. If it is a new field, then a deep plowing is usually required. This should be done NOW NOW NOW! (early Fall) If you do not have access to a tractor and a plow and are growing a small crop of 150 plants or less, then you can use a heavy garden fork. Go down the row and put the fork as deep in the ground as you can, lever up the soil and turn it over and continue until it is done. After that, till the top 8 inches or so to prepare to put the transplants out in the spring.

Next, it makes good sense to amend the soil almost anywhere you are located with a good composted manure. If you can, get a soil test at your local ag extension and follow their directions for adding nutrients and adjusting the ph. Ideal ph for tobacco is about 6.8, just slightly acidic. If the ph is too low, you can add lime. If it is too high, you can add pelleted sulphur. These amendments are available at a reasonable price at a feed store.

Tobacco does not like highly fertile soil. In fact, the best tobacco quality comes from sandy soils poor in nutrients. You add what the plant needs, just enough for it and no more. Unlike tomatoes which are heavy feeders, tobacco should be fed just enough to grow the leaves you want then starved for nutrients so that it does not store up a lot of nitrogen compounds in the leaves and stems. In this manner, you make it easier to color cure after harvest (I will write a section on curing after harvest later).

Hardening the transplants - About a week before you put them in the field, place them outside during nice weather starting at a couple of hours of light a day and ending up with them in full sunlight. Beware of freezes. Beware of high winds. Beware of the pots completely drying out.

The average tobacco plant is set out 2 feet apart in the row with 3 feet between rows. Some dwarf varieties, such as rustica, can be placed much closer. Some huge varieties should be spaced even further apart. And this is a guidline, if your soil is particularly fertile, you can place them a little closer but remember that the plants each need good light and an 8 foot tall plant will cast quit a shadow! You also will need room to work between the rows! I've had people who used close row spacings complain they can't get into the jungle!

I typically put out the transplants and put about 1/2 cup of Miracle Grow (or other full-nutrient liquid fertilizer equivalent) on each plant. In the hole, before I plant them, I put 1 tsp of epsom salts and a handful of compost and mix it up. Be SURE to plant the transplants deep! You can remove the bottom 2 leaves or so if you like. If the transplant is 6 inches tall, plant at least half of the stem under the ground! Tobacco will root from the stem like tomatoes, and this will give it a much bigger root system faster. It will also reduce the problem of plants falling over in the field later.

One week later, I side dress the plants with a dry fertilizer. The type you will need will depend a lot on your soil test, but if you didn't get one your local feed store will advise you on what is best. Half of the nitrogen should be in a slow release form. You can take a hoe and make a 3-4 inch deep trench about 6 inches from the plants along the row on each side and spread the fertilizer according to the lbs per sq. ft. needed then cover it up.

Watering -- The new transplants will not have an established root system to support the full sunlight. Expect them to wilt during the heat of the day but don't panic! They will usually rehydrate overnight as long as you supply some water to the roots. Water in the morning and never during the full light of the day no matter how wilted they look.

How much water? Overwatering is a bad idea because the plant roots may be drowned. Light watering, but often, is a bad idea because that will only encourage the roots at the top to grow and we want them to reach 10-12 deep as they reach down for the water. Allow the top 3-4 inches of soil to be fairly dried out, then soak them down.

After watering, test the soil with your finger or dig some out with a shovel 6-8 inches deep to check the moisture content deeper in the ground. If it is dry down there, water some more. This should mean you are only required to water the plants every few days at most if you don't get rain during the establishment of the deeper roots. Later in the season, deep roots will allow the plants to be more drought resistant and perhaps irrigation will be unnecessary.

About 6 weeks after you plant them out, side dress again with the same fertilizer. That's all the fertilizer you will need for the year.

Ok, that's a pretty good description of how to get the field ready, to plant and how to get them started. Next I will talk about pests, fungus and weed issues and how to control them. Let me know if you have any questions.

Bob Kemp

Knucklehead

Founding Member
Grass will also compete with the tobacco for available water.

My understanding is that a gentle breeze during hardening off will help strengthen the stem. Best to introduce the plant to wind while you have control over how much wind in my opinion. If the plants' first introduction to wind is after transplant and it turns out to be a gale, you have no control and the plant is used to no wind. Our commercial grower says breezes will enlarge and toughen the stem during hardening off.

BigBonner, the commercial grower, also cuts the water off from the plant a week or so before hardening off to make the plant more drought tolerant. He cuts off fertilizer first, then the water.

Two quick ways to kill tobacco: roundup and overtending.

johnlee1933

Founding Member
You might want to take a look at Deluxstogie's gro logs. He has a variety of small plots all over his lawn. It's pretty and it works for him. If I could go this way I'd till 4' strips that I could cover with 4' wide black garden fabric. This would keep the soil warm and help keep grass back. Again if I had the choice I'd space the rows 4' apart. In this way I could switch the rows now and then and grow rye and clover to help replenish the used strips and give me a pretty working/walking space.

Just my thoughts. -·-

AmaxB

You might want to take a look at Deluxstogie's gro logs. He has a variety of small plots all over his lawn. It's pretty and it works for him. If I could go this way I'd till 4' strips that I could cover with 4' wide black garden fabric. This would keep the soil warm and help keep grass back. Again if I had the choice I'd space the rows 4' apart. In this way I could switch the rows now and then and grow rye and clover to help replenish the used strips and give me a pretty working/walking space.

Just my thoughts. -·-

Ha Ha yeah Ok will definitely ride over and have a look at his logs and the 4' sounds good. If I do it this way they would have to be a min. of 42" apart cuase the mower deck is 42

SmokesAhoy

Founding Member
Watch the garden of eden documentary, it's all about mulch gardening, I wanna try it out.

BigBonner

Founding Member
AmaxB

Fall or early spring plowing is good . The main reason is when you turn sod under ,It gives the sod time to compost or rot away and the soil can be easy to work . Winter freezes and thaws breaks up clods and should make the ground like powder when its time to work the soil .If the land has a cover crop of wheat , it can be turned under in late spring before the wheat gets too big . Eight to twelve inche plow depth is best . I would plow the whole plot . One reason is because you want it to drain . Plowing sections may allow the section to hold water in the softer plow area and run off the unplowed area . It would be like a pond in between the unplowed areas .
Fertilzer can be applied now but not nitrates .
Weeds will take nutrients from tobacco .

42" apart . The leaves will or could possibly canvas accross the rows . Each 24 " + leaf from one row accross to another equals 48 inches .TN 90 leaves point more upward and will not canvas the rows like alot of other varietys do .

Bob Kemp . I haven't heard his name for a while now .

SmokesAhoy

Founding Member
he was very active on Dan D'Francescos forum, thats where i saw a lot of his posts.

AmaxB

Ha Ok guys well maybe back to the bin with the grass strip idea, Thank You All! gonna think on it.
Will start a log - blog when I get this under way.

Jitterbugdude

Founding Member
Neither have I. Wasn't he one of the founding members? -·-

No, He was on the HTGT website for awhile.
I don't see a problem with grass strips. Tobacco grows almost like a weed. Yeah, you would probably do better with a "real" garden but I say give it a try.
I tried no till gardening for a while. This is the method where you mulch the hell out of your garden and keep it mulched year round. The mulch is so thick that it smothers all the weeds and keeps the soil underneath nice and moist. The problem with that technique is the mulch also keeps the soil temperature considerably lower than normal. I planted tobacco in a no till garden once and almost nothing grew. Took me till about July to figure out why- the soil was much cooler than normal and very moist.

Boboro

Bob Kemp was on tobacco talk and HTGT. A real nice guy helped me to get my start. My frount garden has grass strips between the rows. Heavey mulch and a tall row keeps them dry and grass free. Kinna. I think my last years log has pics.

Chicken

redneck grower
Founding Member
youd do best by not having any grass, in the growing area, for numerous reasons,

the main one being it's a breeding ground for incests. because you know, that '' grass strip'' is gonna get tall.

AmaxB

Bob Kemp was on tobacco talk and HTGT. A real nice guy helped me to get my start. My frount garden has grass strips between the rows. Heavey mulch and a tall row keeps them dry and grass free. Kinna. I think my last years log has pics.
Man you got tobacco every where :)

AmaxB

I've been convinced to bin the pretty grass look will do some extra labor breaking all the ground and will use the weed fabric.
You guys have changed my mind for a few good reasons you have pointed out,,,,drainage,,,,pest,,,,and one of my own ,,,because of my lung problem a year ago the wife got a lawn man if I do the grass strips than I'll need to mow them cause I don't trust the lawn man he can get a bit wild. If I mow the strips than I will get the whole yard for sure and I like it just the way it is now!

Chicken

redneck grower
Founding Member
im spoiled on the weed fabric,,,,

after years of pulling weeds, it's nice to not have to worry about the weeds,

Boboro

Mine Are about 6' The worst problem with growin around grass is when you mow it sticks to the leaf.

Status
Not open for further replies.