Buy Tobacco Leaf Online | Whole Leaf Tobacco

A different way to roll cigars

Status
Not open for further replies.

istanbulin

Founding Member
This video was prepared by a Brazilian cigar company. In the rolling stage they're using a hand rolling machine for rolling filler and binder. After rolling the binder it's wrapped with a paper and stored. After two weeks they're removing the paper and wrapping with a good wrapper leaf.
Interesting process, they're not using molds. Also hand rolling system is quite interesting.

BigBonner

Founding Member
What I would like to know is where to buy one ?

I would also like the board she uses for cutting the wrapper on . Seem like the leaf sticks to the board to cut easy .

Knucklehead

Founding Member
What I would like to know is where to buy one ?

I would also like the board she uses for cutting the wrapper on . Seem like the leaf sticks to the board to cut easy .

Big - Slightly dampening the board with water helps the leaf cling to the board during cutting and stretching the wrapper while rolling.

BigBonner

Founding Member
Alabama

Is the board she uses made of marble or a certain type of wood . I believe if it was wood it would be tarnished a dirty brown fom the tobacco .

Leverhead

There is another project for you . Its right down your alley for levers . I would say you could sell the heck out of them as I see nowhere to purchase one .
I know its like cheating , rolling with the machine .

leverhead

Knucklehead

Founding Member
Alabama

Is the board she uses made of marble or a certain type of wood . I believe if it was wood it would be tarnished a dirty brown fom the tobacco .

Leverhead

There is another project for you . Its right down your alley for levers . I would say you could sell the heck out of them as I see nowhere to purchase one .
I know its like cheating , rolling with the machine .

To me it looks like wood with some type of laminate on top. Lexan, formica, plastic, or something that can be quickly replaced after alot of cuts have been made on it. A stone would dull the knife too fast. I use walnut and will resand it back down once cutting has scarred it up real bad. But a factory like that couldn't take time to sand, they would want a material that could be quickly replaced, and they would scar up wood too fast I think to just use wood as a cutting surface. Once it gets scarred up, the knife will skip over places. I think the wood board is just there to provide a stable, rigid base for the laminate. My guess. Don has actually visited some of these places, he might know for sure.

She only uses that board for wrappers. The wrapper leaf may be in high enough case to cling to the board on it's own. Sometimes I moisten my wood board to help the leaf cling to it while cutting and stretching the wrapper while rolling.

marksctm

Here's some of what I found on this type of roller. From Popular Science, October 1953. http://books.google.com/books?id=CS...m+store+'em+smoke+'em&cd=1#v=onepage&q&f=true

The top is flat because of the slide action rather than the radius top of the pivot action in the video, the clearance should be the same. A foot peddle underneath would allow both hands free to get pinched.

Is this something like they where using?
This was post#49 in Diy tools and accessories

attachment.php

DIY bunching machine (Lieberman machine) : can't get it to work though...
attachment.php

attachment.php

deluxestogie

Administrator
Staff member
One end of the cloth needs to be adjustable (as well as anchored), since the linear amount of slack in the rubberized sheet determines the circumference of the bunch that it will make.

Bob

deluxestogie

Administrator
Staff member
I was asked in a PM today about designs for a Lieberman cigar bunching device.

Like the use of "Kleenex" as a generic term for facial tissue of all brands, "Lieberman" has been generally used to describe most mechanical methods of cigar bunching (applying the binder to cigar filler). There are dozens, if not hundreds, of patents for all manner of such machines--the majority from the early 20th century.

The most basic designs incorporate a curved rolling deck covered by a loose, flexible, rubberized mat that can form a pocket at the near end of the rolling deck. How large a pocket can be formed determines the ring gauge of the resulting cigar bunch. Adjustment of the ring gauge is made by a locking take-up roller on the far end of the deck.

A roller draws the pocket of the flexible mat snugly over the curved rolling deck, firmly rolling the contents of the pocket, then dropping it off the deck at the opposite end. Since the deck is curved, the swing arm to which the movable roller is attached must match the deck's radius of curvature. So the pivot of the swing arm is usually a considerable distance below the working surface.

Here is an example. This is a patent of an Enfield design.

CigarBuncher_Enfield_1936.jpg

Enfield cigar bunching machine, 1936.
http://www.docstoc.com/docs/133877973/Cigar-bunching-machine

The long-radius swing arm can be replaced using a roller that slides within a curved track.

The basic concept differs little from some common cigarette hand rollers.

There's a handy Lieberman designed and built by marksctm earlier in this thread:
http://fairtradetobacco.com/showthread.php?2033-A-different-way-to-roll-cigars#10

Bob

johnlee1933

Founding Member
I have a piece of rubber mat attached to my rolling board. It's 12" wide X 11" long attached at the top to the board. While I roll by hand I use the mat for bunching all the time. I also use it to smooth the finished cigar. It's quick and simple. It may not be for everyone but it works well for me.

jekylnz

I was asked in a PM today about designs for a Lieberman cigar bunching device.

Like the use of "Kleenex" as a generic term for facial tissue of all brands, "Lieberman" has been generally used to describe most mechanical methods of cigar bunching (applying the binder to cigar filler). There are dozens, if not hundreds, of patents for all manner of such machines--the majority from the early 20th century.

The most basic designs incorporate a curved rolling deck covered by a loose, flexible, rubberized mat that can form a pocket at the near end of the rolling deck. How large a pocket can be formed determines the ring gauge of the resulting cigar bunch. Adjustment of the ring gauge is made by a locking take-up roller on the far end of the deck.

A roller draws the pocket of the flexible mat snugly over the curved rolling deck, firmly rolling the contents of the pocket, then dropping it off the deck at the opposite end. Since the deck is curved, the swing arm to which the movable roller is attached must match the deck's radius of curvature. So the pivot of the swing arm is usually a considerable distance below the working surface.

Here is an example. This is a patent of an Enfield design.

CigarBuncher_Enfield_1936.jpg

Enfield cigar bunching machine, 1936.
http://www.docstoc.com/docs/133877973/Cigar-bunching-machine

The long-radius swing arm can be replaced using a roller that slides within a curved track.

The basic concept differs little from some common cigarette hand rollers.

There's a handy Lieberman designed and built by marksctm earlier in this thread:
http://fairtradetobacco.com/showthread.php?2033-A-different-way-to-roll-cigars#10

Bob

Cheers for that bob,much appreciated
Todd

Michibacy

Northern tobacco grower
Let me do some drawing up, but I really think a MUCH simpler design is possible with the same outcome. A simple base board with rubber sheathing attached to another moveable shorter board in which you just roll the bunch together should work just as well. I envision a dough roller I saw at an antique store this past summer.

Knucklehead

Founding Member
That would be really helpful if u can come up with something...really all u need is a bigger design of a cigarette, rolling machine with a handle to turn,any thoughts??

Boboro had a cigarillo roller for small cigars. It was just like the cigarette rollers. It was made by zig zag or somebody like that.

Status
Not open for further replies.