Buy Tobacco Leaf Online | Whole Leaf Tobacco

Propagation Units - Small Greenhouses

Status
Not open for further replies.

dR_wH0

While waiting for my seeds to arrive, I've been pondering on what should be the best way to *start* them. Checking a bit the online garden-shops I saw that all they sell those mini greenhouses.

Questions that arise are :

1. Will it do the job ?
2. To Pellet or Not ?
3. If Not Pellet What Type Of Soil Should be used as first base ?

Thanks!!!

Attachments

• greenhouse.jpg
    greenhouse.jpg
    37 KB · Views: 104

Knucklehead

Founding Member
Here's what BigBonner the commercial grower uses and several other members including myself. One advantage is you don't have to transplant to larger pots. The plants stay in the tray until ready to be transplanted into the ground. He sells the trays and the special dirt if you want to send him a PM. He does PayPal.

http://fairtradetobacco.com/showthread.php?18-Tell-me-about-float-tray-systems

CoralReefs

Suburban baccy farmer
IMO, I am sure those mini-greenhouses will work... if you want to pay that much. If they are the same ones I have seen around- they are pretty pricey. I use this kind of setup (Not this exact product, and I have never ordered from this company):

http://parkseed.com/72-cell-insert-for-parks-seed-starting-tray/p/96379/

The clear humidity dome and bottom trays I buy once and use over and over. I get the bottom trays from the local garden store for about $2.00 a piece, maybe a little less. The clear humidity domes I get for like $2.00. Sometimes I get this style for other plants:
http://www.greners.com/i/seed-starting-and-cloning/humidity-domes/mondi-7-mini-greenhouse.html
These are nice because they allow more airflow but you cannot get light as close with them. If you use something like that, make sure your tobacco seedlings get lots of light so they do not get leggy. Personally, I never use them for tobacco, I use the flat covers- tobacco seedlings do not grow fast enough to justify it.
I use similar soil plug inserts like those in the picture on the first link. I pay about $1.50 for a single flat's worth off the top of my head. I generally just stock up. I also reuse them.

For less than $10, this setup works very well for me and I get about 72 cells worth of plants out of it.

Another option I have done, skip the inserts all together and just put soil in the bottom flat, sprinkle your seeds on the soil and then thin out later and pot up the individual seedlings in their own pots. Just be careful when moving the young seedlings between flats/pots.

As far as pellets. IMO, they are a total waste of money and largely ineffective. First time I grew tobacco, I used them and had problems (I have successfully used them with some other plants just fine, but prefer to use soil now). Really, at the end of the day they are basically just pressed peat moss with some super absorbent chunks mixed in (at least I believe that is the case). I typically just use a fine potting soil- usually peat based rather than mulch based. If you are hell bent on using some kind of individual pre-made germination media like that, Personally, I would suggest something like rooting plugs over Jiffy pellets (I have a hydroponics friend that has grown tobacco successfully in rockwool in a hydroponic system. Last time I grew tobacco hydroponically, I think I may have used rooting plugs inside hydroton balls)- you can usually find these at hydroponics stores and occasionally elsewhere. Again though, these are expensive and personally, I am not sure that there is much benefit over just plain potting soil- assuming you are reasonably hygienic about your soil.

A key thing to remember is not to cover the seeds, and water from below or with a sprayer until they get a little bigger. Also, do not leave the humidity dome on for too long as it will soften your plants. If you do, make sure you "harden them off"- which just means over the period of a week or so, slowly open the lid more and more to give your seedlings an opportunity to get used to your ambient humidity. If you do not, it could shock them.

So, to summarize (based on the title of the thread, I am making the assumption here that you are new to starting these seeds):
1) Use a fine potting soil if possible- especially if starting in cell packs
2) Do not cover the seeds- make sure the sown seeds get good light- even before germination.
3) Water from below in the bottom tray- allowing the water to "wick up" through the soil plugs. If you need to be moistened from the top (IE they ran out of water or something and need hydration fast) use a fine mist garden sprayer until they are large enough to not get washed away with other forms of watering.
4) Take the humidity dome (if using) off of the tray when seedlings start to emerge, or shortly thereafter. If you wait a little too long, do not take it off immediately, prop it open slowly over the period of a week or so.

CoralReefs

Suburban baccy farmer
Oh, and if you reuse any of this, make sure you disinfect everything with a bleach solution or some Physan 20 or something. Last thing you want is some weird soil fungus or other little nasty hanging around.

Ashauler

Founding Member
Yes the small greenhouses work. Yes, peat pellets will work too. Are either optimal? No.
I picked up a crap load of the pellets and a few of the greenhouse setups at an auction a few years ago and I'm still using them. I have to expend the extra labor to transplant to larger pots before putting them in the ground, but I can live with that on my limited grow scale. If I didn't have these already when I began on this adventure....I'd most likely go with the float tray system. It has expenses of it's own, but on a larger scale the avoidance of the transplant labor before setting would be a huge advantage, right along with the "better" seedlings you will get.

rainmax

Founding Member
I find this grow log very useful: http://fairtradetobacco.com/showthread.php?481-deluxestogie-Grow-Log-2012

I read it twice at least.

Try to find also in google "deluxestogie grow log 2011".
About the questions you ask
1. Yes
I try it and don't like it very much.
2. and 3. everything is written already.
Good reading is also on the link that Knucklehead gave it to you.
Good luck

dR_wH0

Great. I think what Knucklehead points out is important. Not having to transplant the seeds is a great advantage (especially for a new guy like me). It will increase my chances of being successful!
Thanks for all your input guys.

SmokesAhoy

Founding Member
I think tobacco likes being transplanted, i've never grown anything so resilient

Michibacy

Northern tobacco grower
The small cookie sheet sized starters work well, I've never had a problem, but if you buy a green house like this one an issue I've noticed is the over heating aspect. Make sure to leaf a flap open to allow air flow. This past spring I was getting temps of 120*F when it was only 70*F outside.

Knucklehead

Founding Member
Great. I think what Knucklehead points out is important. Not having to transplant the seeds is a great advantage (especially for a new guy like me). It will increase my chances of being successful!
Thanks for all your input guys.

Another useful aspect of the float trays that Bigbonner pointed out is the ability to monitor and regulate the fertilizer in the water under the float trays using a TDS meter. He recommended a meter in his thread but it was over $100.00. I bought the same name brand meter, but a cheaper model, on ebay for about $25.00.

I will be starting my seeds in BigBonner's plastic jar greenhouses. I will transplant the starts to the float trays but after that, they will go from the float trays to the ground.

dR_wH0

Ok, and how many seeds should be placed in each cell in order to have a higher chance of proper germination ?

johnlee1933

Founding Member
Ok, and how many seeds should be placed in each cell in order to have a higher chance of proper germination ?
4 or 5 should be plenty. Thin down to 2 and later choose the best one.. For the final selection snip off the unwanted one so as not to disturb the roots of the other.

Boboro

Spread out your seed startin over a few weeks. if your growin a lot it will take a few weeks to get them all planted. If you dont the last plants will out grow the cells. You will have time to try diffarent ways to start seed.The mane thing is to not get to excited.

dR_wH0

Excited!!! I can't wait to smoke those buggers!!!!! But I will restrain myself and follow each step VERY meticulously! :) :)

CoralReefs

Suburban baccy farmer
Excited!!! I can't wait to smoke those buggers!!!!! But I will restrain myself and follow each step VERY meticulously! :) :)

Well.... some restraint would be good since it takes a lot of seedlings to make a cigar. Best to wait till they are big (IMHO) :p

Status
Not open for further replies.