Buy Tobacco Leaf Online | Whole Leaf Tobacco

cloning tobacco???

Status
Not open for further replies.

CoralReefs

Suburban baccy farmer
I have seen instructions on how to clone tobacco online. I have not tried it myself but the references I have seen seem to suggest cutting off the suckers, pull off the lower leaves and place the cutting in some soil. I would make sure to have at least one node in the soil.

Of course you could always graft it and make a tomacco!

Boboro

It will and its very easy. A little rootin compound will make it easyer Ive done it for to see if I could.

littlechikchik

Urban Gardener
I'm with you on that one. Living in the middle of the city without a ton of growing space, I think being able to grow different varieties on one plant would be an awsome time/space saver.

CoralReefs

Suburban baccy farmer
If nothing else- it would make awesome Scifi!

What I have been thinking about lately is trying to grow some tobacco using one of those upside down hanging down tomato pots. I had some success growing tomatoes in one years ago when I lived in a small apartment with almost no growing room.

johnlee1933

Founding Member
If nothing else- it would make awesome Scifi!

What I have been thinking about lately is trying to grow some tobacco using one of those upside down hanging down tomato pots. I had some success growing tomatoes in one years ago when I lived in a small apartment with almost no growing room.
You wouldn't have to worry about the plant falling over but the root ball might be a problem. Besides that BigB would probably break his neck trying to top it. :D

Knucklehead

Founding Member
The NZlander's could give you some good advice. All their plants grow upside down.

phallca

Hey I was just wondering if any one knows anything about cloning tobbaco,wether it's possible,will suckers clone etc.???
Yes they will most definitely root. I live in Scotland, a beautiful place yes, but the weather is more often than not miserable. (No jokes about, that must be why Scots are so dour please :giggle:) The point of my tail is, I had a disastrous start to the growing season, between late frosts, hurricane winds, lack of sunshine, etc. my potential crop is way down compared to last year. So I started taking cuttings (clones) from the plants, anytime I saw a sucker big enough it was taken off and stuck into a reasonably good compost, no rooting agent of any sort, just a little cover for the first few days to avoid too much moisture loss. Within a week I had roots showing which is pretty good considering its around 21 days for the little buggers just to show from seed, then perhaps another 6 to 8 weeks before actually planting them out. I ended up with a dozen or so roughly six inch plants, already hardened off and ready to go into the bed. I don't expect much from them as it's so late in the season but before the frost hits I'm going to bring some indoors and continue taking cutting from them for next year, its just an experiment, but judging by the results I've had so far I reckon its worth the little bit of hassle setting up a few grow lights.
I had one plant that the wind snapped completely off so after stripping the leaves and hanging them to cure, I took the stem and cut it into six inch lengths and planted them in pots, (same compost), remember your talking about stems that range from about two inch at the base, to the half inch stem at the top. I checked them today and am pretty sure I can see roots starting to show, but I'll wait another week or so before confirming that one. Hope this helps some. Andy

phallca

Great info. Be sure to post updates.

Bob
Will do Bob, I've managed to root tree cuttings (accidentally) they were actually branches as thick as my wrist, and I thought they would make good uprights for a rustic fence, every one of the buggers rooted! I've been a gardener all my life and never seen anything like it, so if it can happen with branches that thick, then why not tobacco. Anyway we'll know in a couple of weeks. Thanks for the mail. :giggle:

HostilePride

That's a new take on fencing, just grow a tree for each post instead! (Even if unintentional)

Sounds like some interesting info, looking forward to your progress.

phallca

That's a new take on fencing, just grow a tree for each post instead! (Even if unintentional)

Sounds like some interesting info, looking forward to your progress.
Lol i couldn't believe my eyes when the damn things rooted, but it did make a nice living fence. I trained the branches they produced laterally to form the spars, one drawback, more bloody pruning!

Libsk8r1

Hey I was just wondering if any one knows anything about cloning tobbaco,wether it's possible,will suckers clone etc.???
I have done it several ways and the best way strangely was a complete accident. I used a hydro cloner the first time and played with nutrients and hormones and it worked but after transplant the go into flower every time atleast so far in my attempts. Second way would be rockwool with seed dome and I haven’t had success with that yet I’m still getting it down. The accidental success was when I chopped a few plants whole and just mulched them into my soil mix I was making, I planted flowers in these pots in my indoor tent and strangely enough plants started sprouting from the dying tobacco tissues in the soil and they stayed in vegitative growth till switching light cycle.

Status
Not open for further replies.