Buy Tobacco Leaf Online | Whole Leaf Tobacco

Ways to start tobacco seedlings

Markw

Don't laugh out loud everyone but I tried my germination tests in cardboard toilet role tubs. the cardboard tubes acts as a wick and keeps the soil nice and moist and stops it drying out.they also act like root trainers. I will then plant on in a bigger pot tube an all.

johnlee1933

Founding Member
Don't laugh out loud everyone but I tried my germination tests in cardboard toilet role tubs. the cardboard tubes acts as a wick and keeps the soil nice and moist and stops it drying out.they also act like root trainers. I will then plant on in a bigger pot tube an all.
I recommend against that. When I planted in home made newspaper pots and put them in the garden "as is" I found the rood ball was restricted.

Chicken

redneck grower
Founding Member
i finbd the way i do it to be effeciant,

i put regular potting soil in the seed-starting tray, half full. then add a 1 inch layer of VERMICULITE, ans dab the seeds off a saucer using a moist q-tip.

and apply them seeds to each hole,

and a fine misting, has giving me good results. i pick out the good seedlings that have sprouted and transplant them to 4'' pots till time to plant,

Knucklehead

Founding Member
Looking good brother. I'm starting mine tomorrow, taking my soil sample to the Co-op to send off and turning the ground again. That fescue is hard to kill off. Also getting the wood to build the frames to hold the water for my float trays. Finally some progress!

Knucklehead

Founding Member
I think I'll go the damp paper towel/plastic sandwich bag route. Oh yeah, I forgot to label the seeds I put in the jar so my first try is in the dust bin. (That's for all you Brits LOL)

I'm starting three varieties in jars today. I labeled them first, now if I can just get the right seed in each jar. lol. We can compare notes.

Boboro

Im goin with the jars this yearthe seedlings look better and I dont have to pull them off the PT. Im givein it anutter week before I start seed.I rember the 15th. of april bein nasty someyears. I ant pottin up 50 seedlings. Its unnecessary.

Knucklehead

Founding Member
Im goin with the jars this yearthe seedlings look better and I dont have to pull them off the PT. Im givein it anutter week before I start seed.I rember the 15th. of april bein nasty someyears. I ant pottin up 50 seedlings. Its unnecessary.

Yeah me and Bobo got it going on with the jars. Real men use jars. Little girly men use paper towels or old tampons. lol.