Buy Tobacco Leaf Online | Whole Leaf Tobacco

Big Bonner's seedlings 2013

Status
Not open for further replies.

DrBob

Founding Member
I will be buying seedlings from Big Bonner again this year. Spring is just around the corner and tobacco starting time is near. NOT FOR ME! I just order tobacco seedlings from Big Bonner. This will be the 3rd or meybe 4th season of using his seedlings.

I am a frugal feller, I have found that his seedlings cost me less than growing my own. His seedlings are also better than anything I have grown in the past. Northern wisconsin is still mighty chilly in the spring and I do not have a permanent greenhouse. In the past I had to make a temporary greenhouse and heat it which in the end cost way more than just buying from Larry.

I normally plant 200 tobacco plants, 100 burley (tn-90 last year) and 100 virginia (CC-13 last year) They come right in the mail in two flat rate postal boxes ready to plant in the garden. The plants ship well and survival rates are near 99% but he always has sent a few extra. This is great because I always lose a few plants due to cutworms( 10-12) and I save the extras to replace them

Big Bonner's seedlings are Doctor approved Dr.Bob that is

Larry also has some great whole leaf tobacco burley and flue cured try it you will like it.

DrBob

Founding Member
tobacco seedlings 002.jpgtobacco seedlings 004.jpgtobacco seedlings 008.jpg
These photos are of the seedlings that I recieved on 2011. Look at the fantastic roots! The seedlings have been trimmed during growing by larry which is normal, not to worry. The two standard flat rate boxes contained 100+ plants each.

Chris A

Gotta try it from seeds this year, my first year. Somehow I think this might be next year's method, though. My thumb is only so green.

Chris

deluxestogie

Administrator
Staff member
After attempting to germinate 43 different varieties in 2012, I've decided that for 2013, I'll be obtaining 13 varieties from BigBonner (the bulk of my crop), and reserve the home germination for 7 special grow-outs. I'm suffering from germination fatigue, in a deluxe sort of way.

Bob

BigBonner

Founding Member
DrBob

Do you have a after picture when they are full grown ?

I see they crooked just a little during the shipping .
Those plants are perfectly straight when I pull them .
When anyone gets plants if you don't set them when they arrive . Put them in a bucket pointing up they should straighten up some .
IF you plant them when they arrive , Keep the rootball intact . I wouldn't bust the rootball no more than I had to .The roots will grow out and it is less stress on the plants .
When planting the plants . Make sure the root ball and the bottom of the stalk is pointed up . If the top is crooked leave it crooked it will straighten up .
Tomatoes can be laid down and planted that way but tobacco does not produce side roots .

DrBob

Founding Member
2011 09 15 092.jpg2011 09 15 088-001.jpg2011 09 15 099.jpg I should have sent these photos earlier. This ts the 2011 crop just before harvest. The plants grew well. As big bonner suggested I planted the seedlings straight up. they came to life rapidly straightened up and grew great In reality it is the roots thay make the plant. Bonners seedlings have great roots!

Status
Not open for further replies.