Buy Tobacco Leaf Online | Whole Leaf Tobacco

Whole leaf tobacco

Status
Not open for further replies.

burge

Some Physics of Tobacco Storage

• Begin with a 5 pound bag of tobacco that has ideal moisture content.
  • Place the bag into a relatively hot environment in which the temperature swings between day to night.
  • The interior of the tobacco will become wet, and will likely mold.
A large mass of tobacco serves as its own insulation. The exterior of the mass of tobacco will become warmer than the interior during the day. The interior will reflect the average temperature of the location--that is to say that the insulating properties of the mass of tobacco will allow the interior of the tobacco to generally remain at a temperature of the day-night temperature averaged over several days.

This creates a heat pump which evaporates moisture from the exterior of the mass, and condenses the moisture within the interior of the mass. -->Wet tobacco in the center!

The result is that a multi-pound bag of tobacco that is placed into an intermittently hot environment will cause the interior of the tobacco to become moist enough to mold. The opposite is also true. A large bag of tobacco that is placed into an intermittently cold environment will cause the exterior of the tobacco to be come moist enough to mold.

Remedy
When storing a large mass of tobacco that is not fully dried (out of case), keep it in a thermally stable environment. The quantity of tobacco in a single container plays a role. The self-insulating effect increases exponentially as the quantity of tobacco increases. The smaller the bag (or other container) the less likely you are to have a noticeable heat pump effect. It is also wise to inspect your purchased tobacco upon receipt.

EPILOGUE: I have purchased tobacco from BigBonner for years. I have never had any problems with it that were not attributable to my own errors in storage. I would have no hesitation in purchasing more.

I understand the aversion from a bad experience, but one should be open to the possibility of user error. And always communicate directly with the vendor if you have any concerns.

I've left most of these awkward posts in place, despite the acrimony, since it may serve to encourage tobacco purchasers to consider proper storage of their leaf.

Bob

That will apply Bob in a high humidity. I know in Lower humidity the vapor proof bags are perfect for aging due to lack or air. The temperature swings age the tobacco and brings out complexity of the flavor.. How to gain flavor in tobacco is temperature moisture pressure redrying and heat. Heat treatment and sweating tobacco is amazing to taste.

NYEXPRESS

Hi guys, I just received my first ever batch of tobacco leaves. Nice to see Bonner, I'll be contacting you once I get started. I do have a quick question. Once these packs are open, is there an art to keeping the leaves? I know I can hydrate and dry to desired levels, but once I remove them is there any tricks or things I should know once the packs are open? Do the different style leaves (wrapper, seco...) require different treatment once opened? Thanks!!!

burge

I got some of Big's leaf I just twist the bag and so far the leaf retains its moisture. I may have to spray a little water but so far so good. I like the moisture content in the leaf. If I twist it and fold the bag it holds well. Good leaf does not go bad when it dries out. Just keep it in a dark place and you should be fine.

burge

Not sure about the cost of shipping there but there is tons of info on how to grow.

burge

I would try a fishing store and get the wood chips there. I know here Army Navy sells wood chips.

Status
Not open for further replies.