Whole Leaf Tobacco
Page 20 of 20 FirstFirst ... 10181920

1 members have Nominated this post.

Re: Whole leaf tobacco

Some Physics of Tobacco Storage

• Begin with a 5 pound bag of tobacco that has ideal moisture content.
    • Place the bag into a relatively hot environment in which the temperature swings between day to night.
    • The interior of the tobacco will become wet, and will likely mold.

A large mass of tobacco serves as its own insulation. The exterior of the mass of tobacco will become warmer than the interior during the day. The interior will reflect the average temperature of the location--that is to say that the insulating properties of the mass of tobacco will allow the interior of the tobacco to generally remain at a temperature of the day-night temperature averaged over several days.

This creates a heat pump which evaporates moisture from the exterior of the mass, and condenses the moisture within the interior of the mass. -->Wet tobacco in the center!

The result is that a multi-pound bag of tobacco that is placed into an intermittently hot environment will cause the interior of the tobacco to become moist enough to mold. The opposite is also true. A large bag of tobacco that is placed into an intermittently cold environment will cause the exterior of the tobacco to be come moist enough to mold.

Remedy
    When storing a large mass of tobacco that is not fully dried (out of case), keep it in a thermally stable environment. The quantity of tobacco in a single container plays a role. The self-insulating effect increases exponentially as the quantity of tobacco increases. The smaller the bag (or other container) the less likely you are to have a noticeable heat pump effect. It is also wise to inspect your purchased tobacco upon receipt.

EPILOGUE: I have purchased tobacco from BigBonner for years. I have never had any problems with it that were not attributable to my own errors in storage. I would have no hesitation in purchasing more.

I understand the aversion from a bad experience, but one should be open to the possibility of user error. And always communicate directly with the vendor if you have any concerns.

I've left most of these awkward posts in place, despite the acrimony, since it may serve to encourage tobacco purchasers to consider proper storage of their leaf.

Bob

Quote Originally Posted by larryccf View Post
    i've had no issues with the order i received a few weeks before you posted about your order - i'm about 2/3s of the way thru shredding it, haven't found anything in the way of mold etc. In fact it's actually cleaner than WLT's in terms of green chlorophyll spots. It was a little moister than WLT's, but i actually like it that way, no leaves too dry to shred. Just saying
    Big tried to get it out to me fast (he shipped before he could have received my check in fact) , that Houston storms remnants were approaching his area at the time and he told me he wanted to save his crops. Understandable. That being said, his area was very humid at the time and NY up here is still very humid daily. not ideal conditions. This combo affected that large batch in a single bag. The other batches I bought were in much smaller quantities, and arrived in smokeable condition (or very close).

Quote Originally Posted by deluxestogie View Post

• Place the bag into a relatively hot environment in which the temperature swings between day to night.

A large mass of tobacco serves as its own insulation. The exterior of the mass of tobacco will become warmer than the interior during the day. The interior will reflect the average temperature of the location--that is to say that the insulating properties of the mass of tobacco will allow the interior of the tobacco to generally remain at a temperature of the day-night temperature averaged over several days.

This creates a heat pump which evaporates moisture from the exterior of the mass, and condenses the moisture within the interior of the mass. -->Wet tobacco in the center!

The result is that a multi-pound bag of tobacco that is placed into an intermittently hot environment will cause the interior of the tobacco to become moist enough to mold. The opposite is also true. A large bag of tobacco that is placed into an intermittently cold environment will cause the exterior of the tobacco to be come moist enough to mold.

Remedy
    When storing a large mass of tobacco that is not fully dried (out of case), keep it in a thermally stable environment. The quantity of tobacco in a single container plays a role. The self-insulating effect increases exponentially as the quantity of tobacco increases. The smaller the bag (or other container) the less likely you are to have a noticeable heat pump effect. It is also wise to inspect your purchased tobacco upon receipt.

EPILOGUE: I have purchased tobacco from BigBonner for years. I have never had any problems with it that were not attributable to my own errors in storage. I would have no hesitation in purchasing more.

I understand the aversion from a bad experience, but one should be open to the possibility of user error. And always communicate directly with the vendor if you have any concerns.

I've left most of these awkward posts in place, despite the acrimony, since it may serve to encourage tobacco purchasers to consider proper storage of their leaf.

Bob
    Makes sense, Bob.

I know he has a good rep that is well deserved but I had no exp working with a big moist bag o bacca prior......So I can accept the user error bit.

interesting - hadn't thought about that but also have never thought about using my attic to dry tobacco. Mine went into a spare room in the house i use as my "tobacco room" - and enjoys A/C, generally 74-76F. IIRC, 80F and greater & 80% and greater humidity, mold growth becomes a greater possibility

you must have grown up watching that "Mr Rodgers" science TV show

Quote Originally Posted by deluxestogie View Post

Remedy

Bob

Quote Originally Posted by larryccf View Post
    you must have grown up watching that "Mr Rodgers" science TV show
    I grew up going to school, and studying science.

Bob

you do realize that was said in jest

Super Moderator

That might not have been covered in the curriculum

For my first time purchasing whole leaf, ( BB was actually my second order to arrive) (WLT being the first to arrive), I must say, BB,s seemed much better to me. Granted, I don't fully grasp what the correct moisture content, texture, etc is. But Larry's just looked so much better.

Both arrived fairly dry in my novice opinion, however, it was well into the 100's around here when it arrived.

I find it much easier to maintain tobacco in "case" when its stored in one pound bags. Big's yellow did look better, but once I smoked it I much prefer the sweet smooth lemon WLT sells.

I think Bonners' burleys are as good or better. The orange/red VFC's are similar, not a lotta diff.

Leaf Only's "canadian" vfc, a pale yellow, is not as good as Don's Lemon either.

For me, its not that important how it looks, its how it smokes that matters.

That is chlorophyll zig not mold. Light yellow leaves are like that.

Page 20 of 20 FirstFirst ... 10181920