Whole Leaf Tobacco
Page 11 of 13 FirstFirst ... 910111213 LastLast

Re: Whole leaf tobacco

Quote Originally Posted by larryccf View Post
    maybe my google fu is off but couldn't find "FmGrowit" on the web and tried emailing you. Do you have any VA first priming? If so, let me know how to pay and how much for shipping (i'm in central VA, 23229)
    that's where i've been buying it but Don is out of stock until november
    Don at WLT = FmGrowit. The one and the same.

Bob

Founding Member

I have light yellow and orangey BL aged three years now . . I have a barn full of several different types of leaf for cigarettes , chew , cigars
    But make sure to buy from Don when he has tobacco in stock , Support this site .

without going thru my receipts i've bought north of 24 lbs from WLT since last Nov/Dec., and don said he won't have 1st priming VA back in stock till November. Are you saying you have some light yellow 1st priming? If so, i'm out and would like to pick some up

- let me know and how you take pmt

Just thought i post a "thumbs up" to BigBonner - just bought some tobacco, product was under described (his descript, "I've got some but it isn't pretty, but has been aged 3 years). Not sure if he's used to seeing tobacco that's been ironed and folded before shipping, i never could figure out what "wasn't pretty".) But product was shipped fast, and here within 2 days of the order, but he's not that far away in Kentucky and me in VA and the leaf was 1st class tobacco.

But the interesting part - he threw some samples in, and one in particular, a "lemon taste bud" that he identified as a burley. I haven't had a lot of experience with burleys and had always assumed burleys were pretty strong in nicotene and so i'd stayed away. This stuff was relatively light in nicotene (guesstimate, maybe twice the nicotene as Don's VA lemon), but super nice on taste smoked straight by itself. It also has a super cocoa bag note that sure makes opening the tub a nice experience - i tried a small amount blended with the VA lemon, maybe 15% of the lemon taste buds with the balance VA lemon. It brings a nice taste to the smoke.

It'd be nice if BigBonner built a website listing all the blends he has (two of the samples weren't on the list at the beginning of this thread), with pix of the different leaves

For what it's worth

Larry you will like Big's yellow Virginia. Its light mild and sweet have to try some of the orange Virginia that was pretty fast shipping to Canada too.

Founding Member

Glad you like the lemon VA .
    The other is called Yellow Twist Bud . I sent you mid stalk leaves , The better looking leaves .
    I have been shredding the lower trash leaves off my yellow twist Bud and I may be kind of spoiled with it . Bottom leaves are leaves that I would not want to sell as they are really rough trashy , I just burn it up a little at a time with a little Lemon VA .

those lower trash leaves i assume are what Don refers to as "1st priming" or "thin leaf" yellow tobacco - that's really what i was hoping you had for sale

Both are good the orange Virginia is a stronger leaf Both are good I think together they make a nice blend. So going to have fun experimenting

Quote Originally Posted by BigBonner View Post
    Glad you like the lemon VA .
    The other is called Yellow Twist Bud . I sent you mid stalk leaves , The better looking leaves .
    I have been shredding the lower trash leaves off my yellow twist Bud and I may be kind of spoiled with it . Bottom leaves are leaves that I would not want to sell as they are really rough trashy , I just burn it up a little at a time with a little Lemon VA .
    There is no such thing as trashy leaf. That lighter leaf is what us hear in Canada really like. I know the yellow is what i will order again it reminds me of when mixed together the Mcclintock virginia.

Founding Member

those lower trash leaves i assume are what Don refers to as "1st priming" or "thin leaf" yellow tobacco - that's really what i was hoping you had for sale
    Yellow Twist Bud is cut and cured whole stalk just like we cure Burley tobacco . Leaves will all ripen on the whole stalk , top to bottom .
    Those trashy leaves are the leaves closest to the ground ( The tobacco I sent you was mid stalk leaves and not the trash leaves ) . They will be rough and what we call trash or flying's . Different parts of the world call them mud lugs
    Mid stalk we call lugs or leaf
    Top leaves we call red tips which most of the time is a darker leaf .

Flue curing , leaves are primed from the ground up . First priming is the bottom ripe leaves .
    lugs, leaf, tips

Page 11 of 13 FirstFirst ... 910111213 LastLast