Buy Tobacco Leaf Online | Whole Leaf Tobacco

How to make Snus

Status
Not open for further replies.

SmokesAhoy

Founding Member
Am i right in thinking all i need to do is get fresh leaf, rinse it, dry it, powder it, add a little baking soda and salt and whatever other flavorings?

i googled it but didnt come up with any real specifics, just some general outlines. was kind of surprised.

FmGrowit

Head Honcho
Staff member
Smokes,

I'm pretty sure you color cure it like any tobacco. I know I've read where the stems are used for "Dip" and "snuff"...is that the same as snus? There is a lot of salt in dip and the baking soda will raise the ph to allow the nicotine to be absorbed through the mucus membranes in your mouth. I've heard of fiberglass being put in dip to act like little daggers so the nicotine can get into the bloodstream, but I really don't believe it true. For flavors, I'd imagine any of those candy oils would work fine. Let us know.

FmGrowit

Head Honcho
Staff member
Here's a recipe from Sweden

Svenskt snusrecept

Det är enkelt att tillverka svenskt snus och snusar du mycket kan du spara ca 10.000:- eller ännu mer på bara ett år genom att tillverka ditt eget snus. Billigare, godare och renare snus med lite övning..?

Ingredienser:
250g mald råtobak (fin eller grov efter tycke & smak)
4-5dl vatten
55-70g. koksalt
10g. Natriumkarbonat
Glycerol 1.5%-3.5% av färdig snusmassa
Smakämnen (eteriska oljor, sprit, kryddor m.m.)

Gör så här

1. Koka upp 4-5dl vatten tillsammans med 55-70g. salt - efter tycke & smak. Låt saltvattnet svalna till ca: 50°.

2. Tag fram ett tillräckligt stort kärl av ex. plåt,glas eller porslin. Kärlet skall tåla 55-75° och ej avge någon smak.

Häll i saltvattnet och blanda under omrörning i 250g. fin- eller grov-mald råtobak (efter tycke & smak). Låt gärna blandningen stå och dra någon timme. Rör om blandningen ordentligt.

Det kärl du använder täcker du sedan noga med aluminiumfolie eller locket till kärlet (om sådant finns).

3. Placera därefter kärlet eller plåten med tobaksmassan i spisens ugnsdel med en temperatur på 55-75° i ungefär 5 dagar beroende på vilken värme du har. Rör om i kärlet varje dag, blir blandningen för torr, kokar du upp 1 dl. vatten tillsammans med 2 teskedar koksalt och blandar i till "rätt konsistens" (tycke & smak).

Ett alternativ till ugnen är att använda en låda som du invändigt klär med frigolit. Som värmekälla använder du en vanlig glödlampa - se till så att lampan inte har kontakt med frigoliten. Du får prova dig fram till vilken watt-styrka som är lämplig, beroende på t.ex. lådans storlek, hur tät den är eller vilken temperatur du önskar ha. Kontrollera temperaturen med en digital eller vanlig stektermometer som du sticker genom lådans tak.

4. Efter ca: 5 dagar tar du ut massan och blandar i Natriumkarbonat (10g., lite mer eller mindre efter tycke & smak). Blanda först ut natriumkarbonatet i lite vatten, då är det lättare att blanda det med snusmassan.

Du blandar nu också i Glycerol 1.5%-3.5% av färdig snusmassa (efter tycke & smak). Du hittar glycerol (glycerin) på t.ex. Apoteket. Blanda om ordentligt.

Natriumkarbonat används för att ge snuset dess karakteristiska smak och arom, vilket medför att snusets pH-värde blir svagt basiskt. Direkt vid tillsättningen omvandlas natriumkarbonatet till bikarbonat. Glycerol fungerar som fuktighetsbevarare.

Vid detta moment kan du smaksätta ditt snus med rena eteriska oljor. Exempelvis bergamotte-, rosen-, geranium- och citronolja eller varför inte någon smakrik spritsort… Men var försiktig, prova dig fram med några droppar i taget. På Aroma Creative AB hittar du bra och tillräckligt många olika eteriska oljor för att du skall kunna experimentera dig fram till ett fantastiskt snus. De eteriska oljorna är rätt dyra att köpa in men det krävs väldigt små mängder, någon eller några ml. för 2 kilo snus.

5. Nu är egentligen snuset färdigt att nyttjas, är fuktighetshalten för hög, så lägg snuset på en tidning täckt med hushållspapper för sluttorkning, 2-4 timmar beroende på årstid och rumstemperatur.

6. Du förpackar nu snuset i dosor, askar eller vad du vill som är tätt och luktfritt. Kom ihåg att lagring förhöjer aromen. Om du inte är en storsnusare så kan du med fördel frysa ner snuset en längre tid och alltid ha tillgång till färskt snus.

Here's another one, but it has been translated to Euro-English

Grind 1 kg tobacco (pipe tobacco like Caravelle) to a fine powder.

Intermix tobacco powder with 11 dl waters and 1/2 hk ( 50 grams) salt.
Intermix, flat out and cover with gladpack.

Set the bowl to sweat in 45-50 degrees' heat in 5 days and night.

After five days and night mix in 90 grams potassium carbonate (Kaliumkarbonat) ,
work it thoroughly into the snuff and let it sweat for another day
and night too. Stir about so that it becomes evenly damp. If you think that is too damp, one can fluff it and let it sit some hours uncovered. When ready, pack in appropriate containers and freeze most of the kit.

When adding flavors, it is probably best to test them first in small amounts.
Juniper gives a taste
similar to Gothenburg's rapé, bergamot oil compares to General.

deluxestogie

Administrator
Staff member
Here's the first recipe, run through Google Translate
FmGrowit said:
Swedish snus recipe

It is easy to manufacture Swedish snus and snuff you much you can save about 10,000 - or even more in just one year by making your own snuff. Cheaper, tastier and cleaner snuff with a little practice ..?

Ingredients:
250g minced raw tobacco (fine or coarse according to preference and taste)
4-5dl water
55-70g. saline
10g. Sodium carbonate
Glycerol 1.5% -3.5% of pre-snuff mass
Flavourings (essential oils, spirits, spices, etc.)

Do this

1st Boil 4-5dl water along with 55-70g. salt - according to preference and taste. Let the salt water to cool to about 50 °.

2nd Obtain a sufficiently large container of items. sheet metal, glass or porcelain. The vessel must withstand 55-75 ° and not make any flavor.

Pour into the salt water and mix by stirring in 250g. fine-or coarse-ground tobacco (according to preference and taste). Please let the mixture sit for an hour. Stir the mixture thoroughly.

The containers you use, cover with aluminum foil then carefully or lid of the vessel (if any).

Third Then place the pan or plate with the tobacco mass in the cooker Parts of stoves with a temperature of 55-75 ° in about 5 days depending on the heat you have. Stir in the tank every day, the mixture becomes too dry, it will boil up a cup. water with 2 teaspoons salt and blend in to the "right consistency" (taste & flavor).

An alternative to the oven is to use a box that you wear inside with Styrofoam. The source of heat, use an ordinary light bulb - to make sure that the lamp is not in contact with polystyrene. You may try your way to the wattage that is appropriate, depending on such mailbox size, how tight it is or what temperature you wish to have. Check the temperature with a digital or traditional meat thermometer that you stick through the box roof.

4th After approximately 5 days, remove the mass and mixing in sodium carbonate (10g., more or less according to preference and taste). Mix until the sodium carbonate in a little water, then it is easier to mix it with snuff mass.

You mix now also in Glycerol 1.5% -3.5% of pre-snuff mass (according to preference and taste). You'll find the glycerol (glycerine), for example, Pharmacy. Mix thoroughly.

Sodium carbonate is used to give the snus its characteristic flavor and aroma, which leads to snuff pH is slightly alkaline. Direct the appointment is converted to sodium carbonate bicarbonate. Glycerol acts as a humectant.

At this point, you can flavor your snuff with pure essential oils. Such as mountain Motte, rose, geranium and lemon oil or even some tasty liquor varieties ... But be careful, to experiment with a few drops at a time. At Aroma Creative Ltd you will find good and sufficient number of different essential oils for you to experiment your way to a great snuff. The essential oil is quite expensive to buy but it requires very small amounts, one or a few ml. for 2 kg snuff.

5th Now it is really ready to be used snuff, is moisture content too high, so add snuff on a newspaper covered with paper towels for final drying, 2-4 hours depending on season and room temperature.

6th You pack now snus cans, boxes or whatever you want, which is dense and odorless. Remember that storage adds to the flavor. If you are not a large snuff so you can benefit from freezing snuff for a long time and always have access to fresh snuff.
Bob

Status
Not open for further replies.