Buy Tobacco Leaf Online | Whole Leaf Tobacco

Extreme Detail Report - inquire within

Status
Not open for further replies.

Michibacy

Northern tobacco grower
Group Research ?Extreme Detail Report - inquire within

Part of my business does research/development. A large aspect (obviously) of the business is tobacco research.

What information this might bring about I'm not sure, but I feel it'll be good to gather a large amount of detail for further research. This analyzing will be similar to the "census" taken by the government, but this won't be submitted :D, it'll just be used for private research.

I am going to create a form here in the next few days, It'll be a form that helps you (the grower) gather/organize information from your tobacco. Obviously there are some limitations to what the home grower can analyze so I will make this as in depth yet comprehensive as possible.

Rules:
-Multiple readings throughout the season will be required so that we can find out *what exactly happens* when tobacco is growing/being processed.
-fill in as much information as possible, results will be off if you're not accurate.

Who can do it: Any grower, like I said before, just fill out as much information as possible. This is an project with sizable amounts of tests needing to be taken, a lot more than the average grower.

I want you folks to help me put together a list of readings that should be taken, information to be gathered etc.

I will post what items will positively be on the form in red on this thread.

Information:
Name (user name on here or real name)
Date Range (start date starting, planting, transplanting)
Soil type (following the procedure on
this link)
Tobacco plants grown
Tobacco strains grown (which ones and quantity of each)
Started type: (by seed out door, by seed indoor, transplant)
Any other plants grown in plot? No, or Yes (which ones if so)
Plant Spacing

Soil test specific detail ( before transplanting, at 3 weeks, 6 weeks, 8 weeks, beginning of harvest:
Test Date (per test)
Appx. PH level
NPK levels (
this kit works fine for our purposes)
Ground Temp
Air Temp
Water usage since last test
Artificial Fertilizers? No, or yes (if so what kind, %'s, amount applied)

Harvest detail:
Harvest begin date
Type of harvest (prime, stalk or both, if both which per strain)
Air Temp
Ground temp
Curing Type? (flue, air)
Kilned? Yes, no, both (if so which strains)
Length of time to appropriate dryness per strain

Results:
Describe results of color curing, any mold issues, flooding ect. Any miscellaneous information that you think may be beneficial to research

Feel free to make suggestions, add questions etc.

Once I make the form, I will mail out the document to whom ever would like to help in this research. If you have the ability to print out the file, I'll post a link to it so that you can do so (and save us a little bit of money!)

I will need you folks to send the packet back at the end of the season or scan it to me. I will (at the end of next season) compile all the information into a database allowing everyone to analyze it.

Last edited:

Michibacy

Northern tobacco grower
Yup it will be! I just want it to be a uniform amount of info, when I have a definite content I'll make it printable. I might want you to print it yourself and scan it to me, shipping to Greece is kinda pricey ;)

Michibacy

Northern tobacco grower
Thought of another section of information

Starting Information:
Type of lights used for starting (sun or art? If art LED, Inca, CFL)
Heat from below? (yes or no)
Germination time (per variety)
Date of fertilizers application
appx amount of fertilizers (% of NPK)
Seed bed temp (*C or *F)
Air temp (*C or *F)
Amount of light per day (hours)
Depth of seed bed (IN or MM)
Any issues(no or if so explain)

Michibacy

Northern tobacco grower
Well, mailing is according to USPS just not only $6.36, so really what ever works for you, that's more reasonable than I thought. If you're on board post a +1 so I can start forming a list.

Knucklehead

Founding Member
Can you do the form in Word, e-mail it, we add info in Word, and e-mail it back? No paper, ink or postage required? All electronic? I'm no tree hugging radical, but printer ink is expensive and postage unnecessary.

Michibacy

Northern tobacco grower
Absolutely AKH, That's one less step in making the file than making a PDF so that'll work just fine.

Knucklehead

Founding Member
Another question. Will our soil tests give us the soil type? I can't remember. The results shown in the DIY test should be skewed some because they used a jar tapered at the bottom. A perfectly straight cylinder would be needed if accuracy matters.

Michibacy

Northern tobacco grower
I'll save the file as a 97-xp .doc file, formatting should be pretty uniform for everyone. (most free and paid-for processors open this format). You guys in?

Michibacy

Northern tobacco grower
Another question. Will our soil tests give us the soil type? I can't remember. The results shown in the DIY test should be skewed some because they used a jar tapered at the bottom. A perfectly straight cylinder would be needed if accuracy matters.

AKH, it's important but not completely necessary. There is enough variation in soil that because we're not using lab equipment etc it's not going to effect our results too adversely.

The soil test (NPK) won't give us the soil type, the test performed in the DIY section will end up giving us our soil type. I made a quicker guide here.

johnlee1933

Founding Member
The soil test (NPK) won't give us the soil type, the test performed in the DIY section will end up giving us our soil type. I made a quicker guide here.
I was searching for this info a couple of years ago. Geological survey maps of CT available on the internet from the state showed the soil types all over the state with good local detail. Perhaps you can find/use the same kind of thing for your state

Michibacy

Northern tobacco grower
Good point John, The information I'm requesting is just the minimum amount of info. If you have more, please, do submit it with your packet.

istanbulin

Founding Member
That report is really a good idea. I always use reports like that (a professional habit :)). But, out of curiosity, what are you planning to do with these reports ? People may grow several (different) varieties. IMO, you should select people who are growing same varieties or different varieties in same soil (?)

BarG

Founding Member

Michibacy

Northern tobacco grower
Depending on how diverse locations are, I would like to plot it on a map and see how soil,weather,growing techniques etc effect home grown tobacco, as well as what hose specific aspects are. A lot of studies I've read (MSU, Kentucky State, University of TX) primarily focus on large scale operations.

I would rather not have that tainted info. BigBonner is a commercial grower but he also produces as damn near organic as you're gonna get, so I value his growing experience as well.

Who knows, maybe the results will come back completely different than I'd imagine, but it's still a good amount of info to collect.

Depending on how diverse locations are, I would like to plot it on a map and see how soil,weather,growing techniques etc effect home grown tobacco, as well as what hose specific aspects are. A lot of studies I've read (MSU, Kentucky State, University of TX) primarily focus on large scale operations.

I would rather not have that tainted info. BigBonner is a commercial grower but he also produces as damn near organic as you're gonna get, so I value his growing experience as well.

Who knows, maybe the results will come back completely different than I'd imagine, but it's still a good amount of info to collect.

As for asking people that grow in the same soil, I could but with the way I'm going about it, I can group together common growers for micro studying, or I can use us all as a whole for macro study.

LeftyRighty

Founding Member
I'm in - of sorts.
Going to track all my crop this year, if in part for my own interest. But I'm not going to do the extensive soil testing - just an initial soil test this spring.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.