Buy Tobacco Leaf Online | Whole Leaf Tobacco

Hurricane Sandy hit Cuba too

Status
Not open for further replies.

istanbulin

Founding Member
As said in Don Collins' blog, hurricane Sandy is the second biggest hurricane after hurricane Irene in Cuba in last 10 years. Cuban tobacco wiped out with these hurricanes. Because of this Cuban cigar producers started to import cigar leaves from other cigar leaf grower countries like Puerto Rico, Dominican Republic, Costa Rica and etc. Now, the only authentic thing about Cuban cigars is the ring or box they come in.

I'm not totally agree with this it may be a disparagement because of Don Collin's commercial benefits ?

Damaged crops in Cuba.

Mapacuba.gif

Here's the link for full article in the blog.

darren1979

First Time Grower
Theres no doubt sandy destroyed a lot in Cuba, but my understanding was sancti spiritus supplied the replacement seedlings.

Don collins is just pissed off and looking for a way to get more business.

Thats my take but maybe wrong, im going back to Cuba next year so i will ask the question.

Jitterbugdude

Founding Member
Next year in february I'll also visit Cuba. Any special seeds from there?

I don't think it matters... any seeds from Cuba would be fine. From the Vuelta Abajo area would be nice if I had a choice. You might have to take a tour of one of the cigar growing farms and get friendly with the owner/ manager before you ask him for some seeds.

deluxestogie

Administrator
Staff member
In a cigar smokers' (not growers!) forum, the matter of seed from Cuba was discussed in 2009. While their knowledge of tobacco genetics is woefully inadequate, I believe that the comments on exporting tobacco seed from Cuba may be close to the mark.

"...you would have an easier time smuggling Raul Castro in a bag out of Cuba than a bag of tobacco seeds."
http://forums.cigaraficionado.com/eve/forums/a/tpc/f/7666095/m/577105836

The Cuban seed used to initiate the cigar leaf industry in Central America was said (by those who were participants in the affair) to have been smuggled out of Cuba in a diplomatic pouch.

Bob

Ashauler

Founding Member
I don't think it matters... any seeds from Cuba would be fine. From the Vuelta Abajo area would be nice if I had a choice. You might have to take a tour of one of the cigar growing farms and get friendly with the owner/ manager before you ask him for some seeds.
The state owns all the tobacco farms in Cuba.

SmokesAhoy

Founding Member
A few seeds stuck to the back of a stamp would probably make it fine, but you'd have to know someone there.

Status
Not open for further replies.