Status
Not open for further replies.

AmaxB

Hi Guys here is the basic wiring for controls-
Humidity Pid Control.
wire-humid-control.jpg
Wiring the Solenoids
wire-humidity-solenoids.jpg
Wiring the temp pid control & 232 Communication Cable for PC Control - cooling solenoid is not being used in my project
wirw-temp-control.jpg
Wiring Heat Emitters to Temp. Pid - in control box with fan
oven wiring 2.jpg

AmaxB

Forgot to say Temp Pid is 85V to 260V my pic for the box wiring above shows 240V I will be using 120V. But the wiring is the same.

BarG

Founding Member
AmaxB, That chamber is awesome . I plan on using the backwoods approach possibly in a future grow. For now I will enjoy seeing the innovative ideas put forth.

AmaxB

AmaxB, That chamber is awesome . I plan on using the backwoods approach possibly in a future grow. For now I will enjoy seeing the innovative ideas put forth.
Hey BarG morning to ya
I don't know if it will work, am hopeful. The toaster oven I have used for heating of circuit boards now it will have a new use. The cool thing is the communication to PC with it I will be able to log and see what is going on with the temperature in the chamber in chart form. Using the software I can set a ramp for the yellowing and see it happen. It will take some tweaking with the vents etc. after I finish the build to develop a base profile from there other profiles can be made and saved depending on mass & weight, or operation being preformed such as conditioning or ,,,, the real fun begins after the build. I have some time later today and will set controls / wiring. Than must make a door am still in the air with framing material for it. Thinking I may use 2"x2"x1/8" Aluminum Tube or 2"x3"x1/8" if I can get that, will take a trip to the metals yard to see.

AmaxB

Little update on this Project.... The wiring is done except for one solenoid and the one that is wired tested out better than a wet dream. At the moment it is set with a 7/8ths opening and can be adjusted via a threaded rod. I installed an 8 space panel box all but the solenoids run through it and I split the Load rails so the heat emitters can be run as individual pairs by using breakers as a switches along with trip feature should there be a short at the emitters. Wiring has changed so after I get the last solenoid mounted I'll test the whole system than post wiring schemes that can be understood by most. Ordered Aluminum needed for the door got 2"x2"x1/8 square tubing for framing and 1/16th sheet for the face side that will close to the gasket, and 2"x2" angle to face the box for the door will have this material Wednesday coming. In the mean time I'll set up the computer and get the air diffuser installed as well as insulating all the air duct. Almost forgot to say the relay between the Humidity controller and the Solenoids has been omitted. If it all works out it will be a sweet box, wet towels will be the first test after the door is on and than will follow with a tobacco conditioning test.

AmaxB

Hi guys please forgive for the wiring pics above after deciding to add a panel box changes have been made. Completed the wiring today and powered every thing on. OOPS OOPS no pops heard all is working fine! Think the emitters on 120VAC may be weak but can not tell till I get the door on should make a difference. Below are a few pics and the wiring as I have it Don't think I'll be making any changes unless I swap the 120VAC for 240VAC on the heat emitters other than that all will stay as shown.
Panel Box
Panel Box.jpg
Humidity Pid Control
Humidity-Control.jpg
Temp Pid Control - on the Communication 232 cable you don't need a box to run through you can use a EIA 232 Serial Cable direct just cut the one end off and the wires you want are Yellow (COM) Red (RX) and Brown (TX) In my Pic I have Green for TX this is not the right color code.
Temp-Control.jpg
This pic Panel Box and Control Box
box-wiring.jpg
Control Box working, I still need to set up the humidity Pid this is why you see AL in the SV & PV spaces but it is working.
pid-box-lit.jpg
Humidity - Temp.- and interior light
lite-sensers.jpg
Solenoid and Blast Gate Set Up
solenoid-blast gate.jpg
I'll post more when I have the door underway.... if questions about the wiring feel free to ask I will do my best to explain. :)

Warman

That is a thing of beauty AmaxB! I hope it works as great as it looks!
I have my first grow germinating and hope to build a kiln for fermenting in the fall (very simple 2" rigid foam inside a wood frame). I am playing around with some Arduino boards to try much of what you have wired here for flue curing but on a much more modest hobbyist scale :)
(I'm a programmer, so that comes FAR easier than the electronics portion)
I was thinking stepper motors to control automatic venting for humidity but not sure yet until I play around some more whether they will be strong enough to open/close a vent and create enough of a seal when required.
Heat/humidy will be facilitated by the traditional crock pot and turned on/off with a powerswitch tail.
Your project has me chomping at the bit to get out the garage and build it :) Thank you very much for documenting your project and sharing along the way.
Cheers.
W.

DonH

That is a thing of beauty AmaxB! I hope it works as great as it looks!
I have my first grow germinating and hope to build a kiln for fermenting in the fall (very simple 2" rigid foam inside a wood frame). I am playing around with some Arduino boards to try much of what you have wired here for flue curing but on a much more modest hobbyist scale :)
(I'm a programmer, so that comes FAR easier than the electronics portion)
I was thinking stepper motors to control automatic venting for humidity but not sure yet until I play around some more whether they will be strong enough to open/close a vent and create enough of a seal when required.
Heat/humidy will be facilitated by the traditional crock pot and turned on/off with a powerswitch tail.
Your project has me chomping at the bit to get out the garage and build it :) Thank you very much for documenting your project and sharing along the way.
Cheers.
W.

I would like to see your plans when you do build your fermenting chamber/kiln. I still haven't made one yet. AmaxB's is more complex because he wants to use it for Flue Curing, which is way harder than a standard kiln where all you have to do is maintain 70% humidity at 125F temps for four weeks. With Flue Curing proper ventilation and venting is much harder to achieve from what I've seen from the few people who have tried it.

Warman

Definitely. Will be pretty simple with a very small grow (maybe 20 plants). Backyard is not that big so whatever I can line the fence with. The Arduino part is just to screw around to see if I can do it. I could just as easily throw a water heater thermostat inline with the crock pot as others have done and get the temp/humidity somewhat stable. But I want to have some fun too and have probably 6 months to learn/play before I need anything.

Last edited:

AmaxB

Arduino very nice Warman I know some guys have done some pretty cool things with it. When you get your project going please do post it will be interesting. I started to study Python and C / C++ is intense but never followed through with it. i don't really have a need to know language but have always felt it would be fun to write apps. Stepper Motors would be cool but you would want enough start force open / close if vent should hang up a bit. I think my solenoids will do up to 3 pounds (have to look at the specs). I am pretty sure 1 to 2 pounds would be enough after seeing mine work. You could use push / pull solenoids with your Arduino Boards sending signal to SSR and get the solenoids for 50 to 70.00 ea. The wiring would be cake 24VDC to board and 13VDC signal (or what ever it is rated) to the relay and voltage for the solenoids running through the business end of the relay to the solenoids. Any WHO will be COOL and fun for for you I am sure! If you could control more than open close but also how much it opens that would be VERY COOL.
Making my curing chamber run is no problem where it will get interesting as DonH said will be setting the vent openings. Apart from curing I want to use it to bring tobacco to the right moisture content to shred and put into holding containers of 10 to 20 pounds at a time. This is why I have spent the money I have. Should I get my Permit the chamber will come in pretty handy and cost will be justified not to mention the fun of building the thing with the helpful suggestions of many good and great members here. :)

Warman

I will anxiously await your progress. If I built something like that in my basement you can be damn sure I'd be sleeping in it once the missus caught on...thankfully she leaves my garage unpatrolled...
You have some great skills there throwing together those circuits...I'm jealous...baby steps, baby steps.

AmaxB

The wife... after 20 plus years we got it worked out here Warman / The Garage she has no interest in (is good) / than the Kitchen it is her's I drink coffe but not much more there / My work area for repair well .. is mine / TV bedroom is mine and rest of the house is her's. But if I buy something (unless cash) she knows within minutes gets notices on her cell....
Speaking of Circuits I just learned that a panel box could be split like that with this project.

AmaxB

quote_icon.png
Originally Posted by AmaxB
No I must say I did not again showing my ass and just how thick my skull is. Out of habit I just started searching the net....I did have a look at FAQ few weeks back. Got a retention problem these days should maybe eat more fish or is it carrots I want.
Well usually searching the net is the best first step but the knowledge contained on this forum is second to none. Lots of times I've done a search on something tobacco related and the best answers were links to posts here.

i was just surprised because you built an amazing device that could serve as both a flue curing chamber and a kiln. So I assumed you knew about kilning. Anyway, the good news is it's way easier than flue curing. "

I moved over here DonH
I Know little about this Kilning / Curing ,, just been researching a lot. The chamber "Box" will serve as kiln, curing chamber, & conditioning more for conditioning and kilning than for curing. I should get the rest of what I need to complete the chamber today. So I'll get the door started and hung with luck on my side and the fun can begin. The reading I have done has only made me aware but the doing will give colored background.

AmaxB

Busy day today will face the chamber for the door, try to complete the door build, make and set air diffuser, and set up shelf supports. Wish it were a bit warmer outside will try to upload photos tonight.

AmaxB

Hey All..! I know some of you are waiting to see just how well this chamber will work. This is day 2 from my last post to this thread and have not got as much done as I wanted to. But the chamber is now faced to provide a good surface for the door and gasket. I got the door made to it has turned out pretty good I think :) Tomorrow I'll mount it insulate it and get the outside skin on it. Will try to get the air diffuser done as well.
Back side of the door it is framed with 2"x2"x1/8" Aluminum Square Tube & covered with 1/16 Aluminum Sheeting. The Plywood you see is there only to hold window framing in place while I fastened it in place. There is frame tubing under the ply it will be removed later.
Back-Side.jpg
Front Side
Front-Side.jpg
Window from Toaster Oven that was used for the Heat Box.
Window.jpg
I should be getting a test run out of it pretty damn soon. If I had a real shop I could go faster, is hard to do this in a small garage that is full of stuff.

AmaxB

Door is on not done but on took temp to 102F over 40 min. Made a mess of it see Pic. Will post vid in a bit..:confused:
door-insul.jpgtemp-101f.jpg

AmaxB

A video of the thing for kicks...the orange goop is foam insulation I used to fill the tube framing of the door. Will clean it off tomorrow the thermal couple to the control box is not working so am checking temp with a multimeter. All said so far am happy took about 45 minutes to get above 100F.

Webby

Absolutely awesome mate, nice to compare yours to mine, lol
I had trouble seein ya vid so took the liberty of trackin it down, I have been followin your build.
Here's the link if anyone else is havin problems. www.youtube.com/watch?v=eihc7UjnGV8
The foam effect is great, at least you can laugh, I would have cried a little.

AmaxB

Ah Webby man ya got it all wrong :D my friend! Haha the square tubing needs insulation inside or I could get heat loss. The mess is cuase of the holes I had to drill to squirt the
foam insulation into the tube than as it expanded it oozed out the holes. I think I got the job done I need to name the chamber now.
Been following your build too an like it watched your vid with that chain saw.

Status
Not open for further replies.