Buy Tobacco Leaf Online | Whole Leaf Tobacco

Propose Your Desired New Seed Bank Acquisitions

Status
Not open for further replies.

DonH

I just got my shipment of seeds from the seed bank, which added to ones I bought online and had leftover from last year are:

African Red
Hungarian Baiano
Catterton
Isleta Pueblo
Azteca
Kelly Burley
Virginia Bright Leaf
Lizard Tail Orinoco
Del Gold
Havana 142
Black Sea Samsun
Harrow Velvet
One Sucker
Big Gem
Yellow Twist Bud
Silver River
Bursa
Shirey

Of these, the following aren't in the seed bank as far as I can tell, so I will definitely bag flowers to add them (also just got my organza bags today):

African Red
Hungarian Baiano
Isleta Pueblo
Azteca
Lizard Tail Orinoco
Del Gold

One Sucker
Big Gem

SmokesAhoy

Founding Member
I'm gonna want African red and del gold, so yes please bag:)

PlantTeacher

I've been looking for Oscuro seeds but have not been able to locate any. Probably because, by what I've read they aren't popular amongst cigar smokers in the US. Apparrently they are very high in nicotene but, as many cigar smoker's would know, they are used for wrappers.

deluxestogie

Administrator
Staff member
Oscuro, as used in cigar wrappers, is produced from the upper leaf of certain varieties of cigar classed tobaccos. I'm not aware of it as a specific, named variety. I enjoy oscuro-wrapped cigars, and have created oscuro by kilning upper leaf from Hickory Pryor, Comstock Spanish, Machu Picchu, and a number of other varieties.

Bob

Ashauler

Founding Member
Oscuro, and maduro for that matter, is primarily a color designation, isn't it?

SmokesAhoy

Founding Member
yeah just designates a color that they get cured out to, oscuro being darker than maduro. as to the nicotine, i would expect less the darker you go, because that extra fermentation should purge more of the alkaloids.

as to americans not liking it, oscuro and maduro are the current buzzwords, america is going flipping crazy for those cigars right now.

Ashauler

Founding Member
yeah just designates a color that they get cured out to, oscuro being darker than maduro. as to the nicotine, i would expect less the darker you go, because that extra fermentation should purge more of the alkaloids.

as to americans not liking it, oscuro and maduro are the current buzzwords, america is going flipping crazy for those cigars right now.
Yes, indeed, the darker smokes have been popular for quite some time now, though their "natural" counterparts are making a comeback. I'm most perplexed with the enormous size of cigars these days...those 60rg jawbreakers have absolutely no appeal to me, but whatever floats your boat I reckon. Give me a good ole 5 to 5 1/2" by 46-48 rg anytime.

Most newer cigar smokers expect the darker smokes to be very powerful and are quite surprised.

deluxestogie

Administrator
Staff member
All my cigar leaf is kilned for 4 weeks. Whatever is destined to be oscuro comes out a brown-black. The leaf you put into the kiln (and the stalk level) determines the final color, rather than the length of kilning. Upper leaf is more potent than lower leaf of the same variety, but some of the varieties that will produce oscuro are fairly mild.

Bob

Knucklehead

Founding Member
This might be a good place to report on some seed I got from the Seedman this year. Tn90 and Virginia. I sent some to Istanbulin and he reported that none germinated. I planted mine a couple days ago, but if his are bad, mine are bad also. I reordered TN90 and Virginia K326 from TobaccoSeed.com. Hopefully we'll see some better results. Thankfully, we started early enough that this wasn't a major setback.

Knucklehead

Founding Member
Ive never had a problem with Seedman seed. They may have got smashed in shippin.

My first year, so I don't have any experience with anybody's seed yet. I just figured if someone else got Burley or Va. from Seedman this year, they might want to do a germination test before planting time.

SmokesAhoy

Founding Member
you had germination issues from seedman too? i threw all mine out after getting real genetics.

Knucklehead

Founding Member
They were the first seed I ever purchased. I was new to the forum at the time and didn't want anyone thinking I just joined for free seed. I got class runnin' out my bung hole. ROFL

Ashauler

Founding Member
All my cigar leaf is kilned for 4 weeks. Whatever is destined to be oscuro comes out a brown-black. The leaf you put into the kiln (and the stalk level) determines the final color, rather than the length of kilning. Upper leaf is more potent than lower leaf of the same variety, but some of the varieties that will produce oscuro are fairly mild.

Bob
I won't be fermenting all of my tobacco for the same length of time, nor at the same temperature, which I hope will produce for me varying shades/flavors/strengths of tobacco in the traditional manner. I'm going to do my best to not use a kiln with this years crop of cigar tobacco, even if I have to store it over the winter and complete the 2nd fermentation next spring/summer.

93rdCanadian

My first year, so I don't have any experience with anybody's seed yet. I just figured if someone else got Burley or Va. from Seedman this year, they might want to do a germination test before planting time.

Is there any confirmation that Seedman seed is lacking in the germination department? What is the longest I should wait for seed to germinate? I am waiting for some YTB, Pen. Red, and Florida Sumatra to germinate right now. The growing FAQ states seed usually germinates in 4-6 days, mine are at day 5 with no signs of life. If these fail to grow I will use BigBonners method and a jar to start the seedlings.

LeftyRighty

Founding Member
some strains just take longer. and if they're old seeds (2-3 years), they tend to be slower germinating.
I usually see some germination on all strains within 7-10 days, and don't worry until after 14 days. Then, I set it aside, and re-seed or start a 2nd batch. I'll give the 1st batch about 30 days before tossing them out.

I've had germination rates as low as 5%, and over 2-3 weeks before, even with seed from reliable sources. Sometimes it just happens. I'm struggling with YTB also - really slow. They are seeds are from my own last-year's crop, and I had 80%+ germination in 10 days on a 'viability' test last fall. Now, they are just difficult.

LeftyRighty

Founding Member
tightly sealed in a Mason canning jar, in refrigerator. Have always had decent germination with most of my seed. This year, I have 3 yr old VBL that started germination in 4-5 days, and 4 yrs old Ottoman & Bursa germinating in 6-7 days, so I feel confident in my storage method.
(edit) too soon to say what the germination rate will be.

Knucklehead

Founding Member
Is there any confirmation that Seedman seed is lacking in the germination department? What is the longest I should wait for seed to germinate? I am waiting for some YTB, Pen. Red, and Florida Sumatra to germinate right now. The growing FAQ states seed usually germinates in 4-6 days, mine are at day 5 with no signs of life. If these fail to grow I will use BigBonners method and a jar to start the seedlings.

Like they said it could just be luck of the draw. I still have mine in the Bonner Jar Greenhouses but it's too early to tell. I know Emre knows what he's doing so somethings up with them. I sent them in a box with some leaf samples, so there was no envelope to get crushed. I just wanted to give a heads up to those that may have Seedman Burley or Virginia to do a small germination test before time to plant to make sure there's no problem with their seed. Finding out later could cause a set back. Fortunately for me, Emre let me know there was a problem about 2 days after I had started mine, so I have plenty of time to do whatever. I'll get more seed started soon.

Status
Not open for further replies.