Buy Tobacco Leaf Online | Whole Leaf Tobacco

Propose Your Desired New Seed Bank Acquisitions

Status
Not open for further replies.

istanbulin

Founding Member
All of my seeds germinated well except that seeds and another one. Even most of approx. 7-9 years old poorly stored seeds germinated too (with a very low rate of course).

deluxestogie

Administrator
Staff member
Penetrating X-ray intended for examining the contents of boxes, containers and pallets for smuggled objects can be at high enough intensities to disrupt the DNA within seed, though this should be uncommon. Tobacco seeds are encapsulated by an exterior coat that is only a few cells thick, and which provides little protection.

So far as I know, most domestic mail is not scanned or irradiated, although mail directed to US federal facilities may be sterilized. I know nothing about what happens to international mail here or elsewhere, since it almost always passes through an airport.

Bob

Knucklehead

Founding Member
That is at least a possibility. I guess we'll know in a few days. If mine sprout, it would have to be something like x-ray.

PlantTeacher

About the earlier and the Oscuro, it sounds to me I received bad information, as in an article online concerning cigars and tobacco by someone who has never smoked anything. Ha! That figures.

deluxestogie

Administrator
Staff member
PT,
There is a vast mythology about pipe and cigar tobacco that goes way back. In the mid 1800s, authors wrote about tobacco production that they never witnessed first-hand, and propagated a lot of silliness. Alfred Dunhill's 1950s book, "The Gentle Art of Smoking," contained a high titer of BS. You'd think he would have known better, but his fame derived from retailing tobacco, rather than studying the craft of growing and finishing it. Zino Davidoff's book (late 1960s) on The Cigar, is better, but still shows a comprehensive lack of production detail.

In this Internet age, the greatest villain is copy-and-paste. With the 1990s "Cigar Boom," everybody and his brother wrote authoritatively about things they knew little about. And those "Aficionado" authors swallowed the marketing points of cigar vendors unquestioningly.

With the exception of the fine metabolic and genetic detail available in some scholarly journals, the FTT forum is nearly unequaled (worldwide) for experience-based information about tobacco growing, curing and finishing.

Bob

PlantTeacher

One-stop shop. I have been reading the parts of the forum on growing. I've been doing things wrong and I didnt even know it.

I had considered that the vast majority of the 'Cigar Boom' was the machine-pressed dollar smokes that cost a quarter to produce but that was my speculation. I wonder if stuff like lead, mercury, silicon, fiberglass and other such substances are added to them like they are to common '21st century' cigarette.

The best I've had is a Brickhouse but I'm changing that very soon.

Status
Not open for further replies.