Buy Tobacco Leaf Online | Whole Leaf Tobacco

Stickies

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ashauler

Founding Member
Speaking as a new grower, with lots of questions, a good set of stickies with the basics of getting started growing would be a big asset to the site.

A couple of side benefits would be more targeted questions, and therefore less of them, for you more experienced guys to answer....as well as ease of access to the information for new members which could, potentially lead to more members joining and sticking around, i.e. growth.

Perhapse even a good solid FAQ for new growers.?. Maybe divided into sections for starting seeds....transplanting.......growing/fertilizing...harvesting..etc....?

Just some thoughts.

FmGrowit

Head Honcho
Staff member
Great ideas. It will take about 6 months to a year to build the site to be all inclusive. I don't have any problem with answering questions by new growers, but this site will be geared toward the next step in growing. Topics like "Curing", "Fermenting", "Aging" etc. will be address in detail. I also wouldn't consider a second year grower a new grower. New growers are the guys who plant tobacco seeds directly into the ground and wonder why they don't grow ;)

Daniel

Banned
I would also like to see basic information. My thoughts on this over the pat few weeks lead me to think it will develop over time. Basically ask the questions as you need them answered. this will begin the process of a complete information base. I think it will grow fairy fast that way. But the more advanced information is a lot harder to come by. I like the focus being on that. And I am a first year newb myself. In my case I am trying to figure out how to deal with a late spring. we are less then 3 weeks away from summer and it snowed the night before last. it really stinks because I have proven I can get these plants started time and again. In fact I am doing it again right now. my first crop got frozen.

FmGrowit

Head Honcho
Staff member
As some of you might have noticed, I've been spending most of my time on the site cleaning up spammer's bullshit. Moderating threads is really quite simple. I make you a moderator, you see spam, you click on the button next to the spam post then click on "Moderation tools". A window pops up with "delete spam and all other threads started by same username" already highlighted. Click "yes" or "delete" (or whatever the prompt is) and all of the spam is gone. I'll take care of banning IP's and email addresses.

It would be a huge help if anyone would like to help. That way I might have more time building the site.

If anyone has additional forums and categories they'd like to see, please let me know.

I really think I have a claim against vBulliten with all of the spam I'm getting. There should be something built into the files that prevents this. Ironically, I never had a single spammer with the free forum.

Thanks,
Don

johnlee1933

Founding Member
This may not be dead on topic -- My apologies. I follow the forum stats most every day. Lately I have noticed new members on the list with zero posts. Is this spammers that were deleted so none of their posts show? Perhaps folks who joined and can't figure out how to post?

Don, If you still need moderators PM me.

FmGrowit

Head Honcho
Staff member
Banning spammers is more effective than deleting them. If they are deleted, they come right back with the same email address and IP. Banning them prevents the email address and IP from ever gaining access to the site.

Knucklehead

Founding Member
Why do I keep seeing banned members online? Sometimes the same guy 2-3 times, but his profile shows no posts. I've noticed maybe four different ones total. They show up at the bottom of the home page and when you look at their profile, the green online light by their name is lit up.

Ashauler

Founding Member
It could be that the IP is recognized, however, being banned the user can not actually log-on or post. I've seen this on other forums.

SmokesAhoy

Founding Member
we ban pretty fast, its possible the guy's script is still attempting to post but he's already been locked out.

they log in, but have no access once in when banned. so you might see em online for a bit. it's not like there is a person behind the name most of the time, just scripts designed to run on various forum scripts and sent to do their thing.

johnlee1933

Founding Member
we ban pretty fast, its possible the guy's script is still attempting to post but he's already been locked out.

they log in, but have no access once in when banned. so you might see em online for a bit. it's not like there is a person behind the name most of the time, just scripts designed to run on various forum scripts and sent to do their thing.
Does this mean that most of the now 800+ names on the list are real members? And while I am asking WTH is a "sticky"?

Knucklehead

Founding Member
I can answer the second question. As an example, go to forum page, click How to Grow Tobacco, click Setting / Transplanting and look at the first thread. I requested that it be made a sticky because I was always referring to it to newbies. It is always "stuck" at the top of the list so it can be easily found later. Important and really informative threads can be made stickies so they always stay on top of the category. Under them, the rest of the threads are organized by latest posts.

johnlee1933

Founding Member
I can answer the second question. As an example, go to forum page, click How to Grow Tobacco, click Setting Transplanting and look at the first thread. I requested that it be made a sticky because I was always referring to it to newbies. It is always "stuck" at the top of the list so it can be easily found later. Important and really informative threads can be made stickies so they always stay on top of the category. Under them, the rest of the threads are organized by latest posts.
Makes perfect sense. Thank You Wallace

Status
Not open for further replies.