Buy Tobacco Leaf Online | Whole Leaf Tobacco

Natural Disasters like Hurricaine Sandy

Status
Not open for further replies.

gracebowen

So I watched some of the news coverage from Sandy and people were out digging in dumpster looking for food and water after just 3 days. That would not have been me. Being on a limited income I only shop once a month. I also try to only shop sales and stock up when an item is on sale. So just by living my normal life I always have about 30 days of food in the house. My most likely event would be a Tornado or tropical storm I think. When the news said either Rita or Katrina could be a tropical storm in San Antonio I prepared the best I could. I do not understand why some don't prepare. I know some of the forum members experienced Sandy and I wanted to see how you fared and how you survived. I recently decided to on purpose put up some extra food and water. Not a whole lot mind you just another month or 2 because if anything happened it would probably be a short term event but I would want to be able to help other out without putting my family at risk. Do those of you that live in more high risk areas have enough food and water on hand to go say 30 days without going to a store? Do you think you need to ?

leverhead

I don't stock up in the off season. For August - October, I'll keep water, canned goods and some .22's. Ike was uncomfortable but this close to Houston, we bounce back pretty quickly.

johnlee1933

Founding Member
Sandy hit pretty hard here in southern CT. I was without power for 8 days. I buy very little prepared food. Staples like flour, salt, sugar, spices were on hand. I cook almost everything I eat and always have a stock of root veggies and apples. I had a generator so heat and well water were not a problem. The only thing I had to go out and buy after three days was gasoline for the generator. It did get scarce here but you could get it if you were patient. Most of the closures were because the gas stations had no power either.

Boboro

I keep 2 weeks of potted meat and beer on hand. We are goin to get snow flurrys this weekend. I got it covered.

Knucklehead

Founding Member
I don't stock up in the off season. For August - October, I'll keep water, canned goods and some .22's. Ike was uncomfortable but this close to Houston, we bounce back pretty quickly.

And for the hard winters he ditches the tank tops and goes with tee shirts. Lucky Dog.

SmokesAhoy

Founding Member
I buy in bulk, I hate going shopping, never understood the people that buy what they need the day they need it.

Jitterbugdude

Founding Member
I buy a butchered pig and 1/2 a cow everyear. I also keep laying chickens and I raise and slaughter 50 meat birds (chickens) I have 2 gas generators and 8 Diesel generators ( trying to downsize though). I have a spare 275 gallon oil tank that I use for the diesel generators so fuel is never an issue. I also have all the tobbaco I need as well as Mead ( I keep two colonies of bees). In addition I always have at least 50 pounds of wheat berries on hands and most importantly... 6 big packs of toilet paper.

With that said, I live at the mouth of the Chesapeake bay so we quite often get tropical storms and in the winter heavy snowstoms although we are in a 2 year snow drought. IT never ceases to amaze me though because every single time they are predicting a Hurricaine/Tropical storm or blizzard the people in this state spaz out. Everyone rushes out and gets bottled water, bread, gasoline etc... You'd think they would keep a little bit on hand

leverhead

In the summer time here, if you do much of anything outside in the middle of the day you have to peel a Tee shirt off. A straw hat is pretty important too.

gracebowen

Leverhead I am in San Antonio so I know how Texas weather is. I would hate to have to go without A/C in the summer. I have had cars with no AC and it is no fun. I live in a mobile home and I want to paint my roof with stay cool but it is very expensive. At least to me with my income.

Knucklehead

Founding Member
In the summer time here, if you do much of anything outside in the middle of the day you have to peel a Tee shirt off. A straw hat is pretty important too.

Hey I have a straw sombrero that would make a Texan proud. It 's about 20"x24". I bought it because it was cheaper than an umbrella for the tractor. I'll be wearing it in the patch alot, too.

I've been slowly working my way to Texas, about ten years ago I moved a half mile west from Ga. into Ala. I'll get there one day.

leverhead

I was here 15 years before I had a car with A/C, but we could still drive with an open beer. I'd go without A/C to get rid of the open container law the feds forced on us. Traffic was easier to handle with beer too. I've never been in a mobile home that wasn't hard to cool, or heat for that matter.

leverhead

Hey I have a straw sombrero that would make a Texan proud. It 's about 20"x24". I bought it because it was cheaper than an umbrella for the tractor. I'll be wearing it in the patch alot, too.

I've been slowly working my way to Texas, about ten years ago I moved a half mile west from Ga. into Ala. I'll get there one day.

Buy the time you get here, the Gulf of Mexico will beat you to it.

gracebowen

Leverhead mine heats and cools well it's just that the metal makes it cost more in the summer. This winter has been great so far. My house is always 12-15 degrees hotter than the outside. I bet the ones that did not hold temp well had underbelly's that were all torn up or completely missing. That makes a big difference. The last mobile home I lived in was hard to heat and cool too. It had no underbelly. (insulation that completely covers the bottom of the house including the ducts)

SmokesAhoy

Founding Member
Haha, I traded the need for ac for the need for heating. Wood grows on trees though :)

I grew up with an Asian diet though, so it's kind of hard not to have food in a pinch when rice normally comes in 25-50 lb bags.

I wish I could buy cow by the half or whole, but the price is not competitive at all up here

Jitterbugdude

Founding Member
I wish I could buy cow by the half or whole, but the price is not competitive at all up here

Could you raise your own pig/cow?
I raised my own pigs one year. They are really easy but the STINK was beyond all get out!!!
I cleaned their pen every single day and that STINK was unbelievable. I figured for good neighbor relations (my neighbors are about 150 yards away) I'll pay someone else to raise them.

DGBAMA

we raised 2-3 pigs a year when I was growing up. Always got our piglets toward the end of summer, and raised them to the start of the next summer. It minimized the STINK by not having them during the hottest three months of the year.

johnlee1933

Founding Member
I had 800+ hogs and pigs years ago and the s--- only smelled like $.........
Big operation.Did you slaughter your own? When I was a young man commuting to college I had to drive thru Seacacus NJ. Thousands were raised and slaughtered there. God what a stink!

Status
Not open for further replies.