Buy Tobacco Leaf Online | Whole Leaf Tobacco

going for 2 seperate '' harvest's '' this year. can it be done,?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Chicken

redneck grower
Founding Member
i know in my area it can be done, last year i paid attention, to what i had going / vs / the lenght of time i still had in the growing season,

my plan is to top every strain at 5'.... harvest that,,,,,

and have a 2'nd crop about 6'' tall ready to go into the ground as soon as the first is picked, and let the 2'nd crop go to full maturity, proablly near to when the first frost gets close, around nov.

i figure i'll be dropping the 2'md crop at the middle of august, giving the fact the first crop was planted, around the beginning of april.. and harvesting, around nov,

giving each crop. about 4 1/2 months in the ground,

i have the hanging area, for 2 crops, im figuring, at a minimum of 400 plants per crop..

i plan on trying to sell it locally, to see if thiers a market.

. pick out my '' personall'' stash out of it,,, cure and kiln '' mine''

air dry, and sell the rest<:cool:

THOUGHT'S?????????

deluxestogie

Administrator
Staff member
I think the length of the growing season is adequate for two crops. I would have a couple of questions:
  • would the weather be suitable for growing at both times?
  • would the weather be suitable for curing at both times?
Most late-planted tobacco crops in more temperate areas are capable of maturing before first frost, but curing-shed conditions are much better for the earlier crops.

Bob

Knucklehead

Founding Member
Since the mud lugs will be gone first, can you start your second crop earlier by planting between the plants of the first crop? With the lower leaves gone on the big plants, space shouldn't be as much an issue as will the small plants get enough sunlight until you harvest the big plants?

Boboro got a full crop and two sucker crops last year, but he may have had curing issues on the latter crops.

Boboro

I'm doin some work on my curin shed. I will get 3 crops the last may be weak but mild. I have a plan.

Chicken

redneck grower
Founding Member
I think the length of the growing season is adequate for two crops. I would have a couple of questions:
  • would the weather be suitable for growing at both times?
  • would the weather be suitable for curing at both times?
Most late-planted tobacco crops in more temperate areas are capable of maturing before first frost, but curing-shed conditions are much better for the earlier crops.

Bob

you bring up some good popints, but i think i got the bases covered, for curing, i have a 5'th wheel camper. that i can use from top to bottom front to back, and my original 20'x 20' shed, i cure, in thats wide open in the front, not good for too humid of days, or any lenghtlly ammount of rain, last year i had mild mold issues due to that shed,

plus my small gutted camper, that i use for a kiln,

with that 5;th wheel. and 3 '' radiator'' type space heaters, and 2 oscillating fans should turn the 5'th wheel into a nice heating barn,

I'm doin some work on my curin shed. I will get 3 crops the last may be weak but mild. I have a plan.[/QUOTE]

coming from you i dont know if thats good or bad,,,,, so far your plans ive seen have been real sucessfull.

i have a plan also, more like a END GAME. all my components are lined up.

im lacking just one thing, some VIRGINIA BRIGHT LEAF seed,:cool:

Knucklehead

Founding Member
If you don't find any, new hope seed has them. I have virginia gold, but my cousin decided he wants to plant some, too. Or I should say one of my cousins. If they all decide to grow, we going to have to buy out skychaser.

Chicken

redneck grower
Founding Member
If you don't find any, new hope seed has them. I have virginia gold, but my cousin decided he wants to plant some, too. Or I should say one of my cousins. If they all decide to grow, we going to have to buy out skychaser.
im gonna get some from don,

it's the only strain im lacking, so i'll make a 10$ donation,

LeftyRighty

Founding Member
I tried a 2nd crop last year - did not go well.
The new starts for the 2nd round went into the ground about the same time as I started priming lower leaf. They didn't get full sun, but enough to get established, and took off as they got more sun (as priming continued).
Was easy to remove 1st crop stalks, with a shovel, without disturbing the new starts.
I had two big problems. First, we had a severe drought last summer - had to water about once a week to keep them alive. They grew OK, but was too much $$$.
Second, drought and low humidity continued into fall & winter - everything dried green - could not get a decent air cure. It's still hanging in the shed, ugly brownish-green.

SmokesAhoy

Founding Member
For cool/dry, throw your leaves in a cardboard box to yellow up. Just shuffle them once in a while.

Chicken

redneck grower
Founding Member
you gotta take in account my location,

i have a longer growing season here, in florida. i can grow till allmost thanksgiving,

at the minimum, the end of october, it just depends on the weather, but curing in a '' winter coming;; enviorment i think i got covered, i'll be using a full sized 5'th wheel camper, with radiator type heaters running, to do that with ,

darren1979

First Time Grower
Sounds like you've got your work cut out for yourself but if it pays off and him upstairs is looking down on you then you will have a bumper year.

darren1979

First Time Grower
Chicken can do it. He's the man!

Darren - I like the new avatar.

I agree if anyone can chicken can, hey maybe we could be chickens cheer leaders lol.
Cheers Knucklehead I felt left out with having no avatar, i was gonna put a pick of myself up but i didnt want a bill from everyone for monitor repairs so choose my old trusty Staffordshire bull terrier.

Jitterbugdude

Founding Member
Another thing to keep in mind. If you are going to put young transplants out in the middle of the summer they might get eaten alive by the bugs. I've put out cabbage and broccoli late in the summer and the bugs were murder.

Boboro

Ive tryed young mators in the middle of summer the sun and heat killed em. give them so shade.If you aint changein varieties I would grow off the stump.

Ashauler

Founding Member
Ive tryed young mators in the middle of summer the sun and heat killed em. give them so shade.If you aint changein varieties I would grow off the stump.

Yep. Why not just try a sucker crop?

Status
Not open for further replies.