Buy Tobacco Leaf Online | Whole Leaf Tobacco

Hydrating Dry Leaf

Status
Not open for further replies.

johnlee1933

Founding Member
I'm not sure this is the place for this however, I use this method for bring dry leaf into case for rolling cigars. I have a large (12" X 18" X 24") plastic box with a cover. (Walmart, cheap). It is pretty good for storage but not really air/moisture tight. I took a couple of plastic water bottles and drilled a bunch of 3/16th holes in it (No holes in the bottom quarter). If you put holes closer to the bottom it leaks/bleeds water out the bottom. I fill the bottle with water and freeze it to make drilling the holes easier. When it thaws I drain it and add ½ teaspoon of the water retaining crystals and soak it in rain water till the crystals completely expand. I allow the bottle to drain for half an hour or so and but on the cap. Two of these bottles go in the corners of the box with the too dry leaf. I put the top on and leave it alone for a few days. The leaf hydrates and is usable. I found if I added four bottles the leaf got too damp and I got a little mold.

LeftyRighty

Founding Member
I use a soldering iron to poke holes in plastic jugs (for my seed starting pots) - very quick, but it does stink a bit.
I use my fermenting chamber to re-hydrate leaf. 80-100 degrees with a crockpot (or 110-120 if worried about mold) and hang a soggy, wet terry-cloth towel in the chamber. Will get hands or loose leaf into case in a couple hours, or a small bale overnight. On the overnight re-hydration, I need to wet the towel once or twice more.

deluxestogie

Administrator
Staff member
Large plastic bag. Insert quantity of leaf (large or small). Mist with water. Seal with clothespin. Check it the next morning.

Bob

Knucklehead

Founding Member
Large plastic bag. Insert quantity of leaf (large or small). Mist with water. Seal with clothespin. Check it the next morning.

Bob

This. Since i'm still smoking bought whole leaf, I mist the inside of bag it came in and seal it up. I mist mainly the inside of the bag rather than the leaf and seal it with plenty of air still in the bag.

johnlee1933

Founding Member
This. Since i'm still smoking bought whole leaf, I mist the inside of bag it came in and seal it up. I mist mainly the inside of the bag rather than the leaf and seal it with plenty of air still in the bag.
Yes. That works great for every day conditioning. You need to be careful with the wrapper as you have that a bit wetter mold is possible if you go away and forget it.

Knucklehead

Founding Member
I was talking overall conditioning, I'm mainly a cigarette smoker. For wrapper, I put a single leaf in a gallon baggie and do the same thing.

deluxestogie

Administrator
Staff member
Yes I wanted to do that but my leaf was so fragile I couldn't get it in the bag without serious breakage.
I have various bags (all colorless) that range in size from large to really large. Since I'm often hoping to place an entire tied hand of crispy dry tobacco (say a big hand of WI Seedleaf) into the bag without breaking any, I engage in a bit of gymnastics to accomplish it. Actually, it's more of a dance--called the Macanudo, I think--between the opening of the floppy plastic and the splayed, rigid leaf. But that's how I do most of mine.

Bob

johnlee1933

Founding Member
I have various bags (all colorless) that range in size from large to really large. Since I'm often hoping to place an entire tied hand of crispy dry tobacco (say a big hand of WI Seedleaf) into the bag without breaking any, I engage in a bit of gymnastics to accomplish it. Actually, it's more of a dance--called the Macanudo, I think--between the opening of the floppy plastic and the splayed, rigid leaf. But that's how I do most of mine.

Bob
Do you play any special music?

Chicken

redneck grower
Founding Member
good info, in here,

allthough i guess, im just a naturalist,

i rehydrate by hanging the leaf on the porch when it's raining, and then bring it inside to get it in '' perfect'' case,

i been experimenting with my cigar rolling, and have actually achieved what ive considered a nice stoggie, that i mainly judged by the ash.

SmokesAhoy

Founding Member
I also just use a bag. If I over do the water I leave it open for a while

Boboro

I put a few boxes of leaf in the kiln let it run 24hrs. take it out the box. Put it back in for 24 hrs. strip the steams put it in a big plastic box and put the top on or take it off and stir leaf till it gets just right.

Michibacy

Northern tobacco grower
It may or may not be perfect, but I put some water in a pan, get it to a boil and hold it over the steam, let it moisten, then lay it down for a little while to dry off. I hold it far enough way that I don't burn my hand, but enough to get it wet from steam. Quick and easy

SmokesAhoy

Founding Member
all my tobacco is hanging on strings and bone dry in the basement, i spray it every couple hours continuously until i can get it in a bag. on mich's train of thought, i remember a "as seen on tv" gimick that magically ironed clothes with steam, that would work great i bet.

Matty

I use many different ways, depends how I feel.
Cigar filler - if I'm gonna keep some around to play with, I put the leaves in an extra large ziplock with an apple. If I'm in a hurry, I mist a bit of boiled water into the bag.
Wrapper - I'll run it right under the faucet and hang it up while I bunch and bind the cigars. Nice and wet it goes on smooth.
Flue cured - I'll give it a drink of some nice vodka, I got the idea from Boboro.
I've tried the steaming over boiling water and found for me it is too time consuming. One thing I consider with using water is that there is chlorine in it, I got town water, so I just grab some from the kettle. Rehydrating with vodka, or other alcohol, has me a little intrigued. I don't know for sure but I think it hinders the aging process, so I use it on flue cured to keep it sweet and light colored as I find flue cured changes a lot in storage, I like "young" flue cured as opposed to aged, I find it smoother and sweeter.

Status
Not open for further replies.