Buy Tobacco Leaf Online | Whole Leaf Tobacco

Michibacy Grow Log 2013

Status
Not open for further replies.

Michibacy

Northern tobacco grower
Not sure how many of each I'll be growing, but I plan on a lot of YTB, Izmir and Xanthi. The others are just to resupply my normal stock and personal seed bank.

YTB, Xanti, Izmir, Green Brior, Greenwood Dark, Black Mammoth, VA bright leaf, and CT shade.

Attachments

• photo 2.jpg
    photo 2.jpg
    89 KB · Views: 298

DGBAMA

itching to start here, but have had snow flurries and a high of 38 deg. today.

Knucklehead

Founding Member
Sounds like a manageable grow list. I'm really glad I cut back on my wish list since this is my first stab at it. Looking forward to following along on your journey this year. Good luck.
Are you doing any grow outs this year? I asked Don to pick a variety that needed growing out but I don't know what it will be.

Michibacy

Northern tobacco grower
Update: Obviously no sprouts yet, but I took a 24 hour measurement of the temp. of the soil, which is 79.6*F. I also made up a map of the float tray so I can better keep track of which plants are where.

MarkMOH

When is your last frost date? I'm in Northern Ohio and am debating when I should start? If going by last frost it looks like I still have a little time. Any thoughts? Looks like a good variety of seed. I'm also growing Black Mammoth this year. Came highly suggested to me.

Michibacy

Northern tobacco grower
1st of may is safe to say last hard frost, you might have a morning frost that could kill some plantlings, but memorial day is always a good time to plan on putting stuff in the ground.

I also do what Bigbonner does, while the plants are still in flats I trim the leaves all even height, it helps the other plants even up and thicken up their stalks.Helps make sure I don't have "too big" of plants to transplant.

SmokesAhoy

Founding Member
in Vermont, last year i started around tax day and everything went well but curing at the end was difficult, this year i will start next week to give me a later start but still give time to cure
When is your last frost date? I'm in Northern Ohio and am debating when I should start? If going by last frost it looks like I still have a little time. Any thoughts? Looks like a good variety of seed. I'm also growing Black Mammoth this year. Came highly suggested to me.

DonH

I have the same climate as northern Ohio and I plan to play it safe and start seeds earlier than recommended, probably in the next week or so. Like Smokes I planted late and it took to long to cure when the nights got cold.

DonH

I have the same climate as northern Ohio and I plan to play it safe and start seeds earlier than recommended, probably in the next week or so. Like Smokes I planted late and it took to long to cure when the nights got cold.
Also, if I were in Northern Ohio I'd wait to put them in the ground until May 23 after consulting the ten day weather forecast to make sure there won't be a late May frost. Last year I got them in the ground in early June and they matured fine but curing took too long.

MarkMOH

Excellent advise guys Thanks. I'm going to make sure and follow this blog. I love seeing how peoples grows progress.

Michibacy

Northern tobacco grower
Thanks chicken!

I am just getting over a pretty bad cold so I haven't been on a lot. Might have SOME sprouts but hard to say yet, I thought I'd post a picture of my tobacco sprayer I built.

photo.JPG
15 gallon fresh water, 3 gallon chemical induction tank, 8' boom with spray control, solid cone spray tips. I can also quick detach 1 control and use it for a wand. 12 volt electric pump.

Knucklehead

Founding Member
That's cool. That's the one you were working on last year, isn't it. Ought to do the job. I have a 15 gal. that mounts on the back rack of my four wheeler and works off the electrical system. I'm going to have about 8' between the rows.

Michibacy

Northern tobacco grower
Yup just finished it this winter. I only have a small garden tractor or else I'd find a way to mount it to a quad. I am happy I could make the high-rise though, I can get 7' max height with it.

Michibacy

Northern tobacco grower
I live in Lansing, those items would get done stoled the day I installed them...

Michibacy

Northern tobacco grower
We have sprouts! YTB is the first sprouter, I can just barely see them "unspooling" out of the top of the soil late lastnight. I also put a 1100/4200 kelvin CFL light to give it some extra juice. Temperature of air is around 64*F, soil is 76*F. 52% humidity.

Status
Not open for further replies.