Buy Tobacco Leaf Online | Whole Leaf Tobacco

smokesahoy 2013

Status
Not open for further replies.

SmokesAhoy

Founding Member
Gonna get an early start this year, will germ 3/14. I'm also going to be more ambitious.
First set will be grown for production, second set for seed and sample.
Production :
1. Aztec
2. Xanthi
3. VA 359
4. Plantana
5. Vuelta
6. Spearhead x
Seed n sample:
7. PA Red
8. Silver River x
9. CT 49 x
10. Hav 142 x
11. Hav 263 x
12. Hav 503b x
13. Frog Eye x
14. VA 116 x
15. Ti-760 x

So to keep them organized I will use color coding plastic ribbon if 15 colors exist, and will tie hands with the corresponding color and tie the stalk of each plant.

2 weeks to start, I'm excited.

x - it's not happening this year.

Last edited:

Chicken

redneck grower
Founding Member
if your just growing them for seed,

how many of each strain you gonna do,,?

SmokesAhoy

Founding Member
1 and 2 will be separate plots planted intensively, so no idea, but 3-6 I'm shooting for 20 each, and the samples will be 2 each. I really need to sample my stash so I can decrease my collection size, so I will probably end up adding a few more singles when germ day arrives. I might do like Bob did and have a row of samples along the house just to get the entire collection in the ground this year. If so I will let all the singles do their own thing with my only intervention being to bag and tag em. I can't keep up with the numbers otherwise. I will update if so. Thanks for reading :)

SmokesAhoy

Founding Member
well the first ones out of the gate are (of course?) skychasers aztec tobacco. I have 20 transplanted now, might do another 20 later, this is a plant that i dont need to put in the garden, this weed can be placed anywhere around the yard and there is no maintenance as i wont be suckering/bagging/etc so i may as well just fill every nook and cranny with a stand of this.

A note to myself for the future: the ziplock booklets with damp paper towels and seeds so far is the easiest method i have tried. 15 varieties stacked takes no room and as the seeds pop just pick em up and drop em in their next resting spot. it's also very easy to see that they are sprouting and move them before they get tender as the brown on white background gives high definition.

Markw

Ha Smokes It sounds like you are off to a good start. I like the way you start them off on the towel I must give that a go. I hope the season goes well for you.

DonH

well the first ones out of the gate are (of course?) skychasers aztec tobacco. I have 20 transplanted now, might do another 20 later, this is a plant that i dont need to put in the garden, this weed can be placed anywhere around the yard and there is no maintenance as i wont be suckering/bagging/etc so i may as well just fill every nook and cranny with a stand of this.
Glad you are growing Skychaser's Azteca. Last year Sky gave me some Azteca and Isleta Pueblo seeds. This year I ran out of space in my trays and only planted the Isleta Pueblo. So maybe we can trade some leaf and seeds after the season's done.

SmokesAhoy

Founding Member
bigb might be doing an Aztec grow this year. it's a really nich product, but the price/oz is really high in the specialty market.

BarG

Founding Member
Have you tried Bob's Sacred cornplanter? I've got a good germination from his seeds and looking forward to try. The seeds seem twice the size of average seeds.

BarG

Founding Member
Gonna get an early start this year, will germ 3/14. I'm also going to be more ambitious.
First set will be grown for production, second set for seed and sample.
Production :
1. Aztec
2. Xanthi
3. VA 359
4. Plantana
5. Vuelta
6. Spearhead
Seed n sample:
7. PA Red
8. Silver River
9. CT 49
10. Hav 142
11. Hav 263
12. Hav 503b
13. Frog Eye
14. VA 116
15. Ti-760

So to keep them organized I will use color coding plastic ribbon if 15 colors exist, and will tie hands with the corresponding color and tie the stalk of each plant.

2 weeks to start, I'm excited.

I'll label with the variety from start to finish. They all look the same but different. A year or 2 down the road?

I'm ahead a bit this year, I'll have some plants in ground when last frosts are a thing of the past and feel safe about it.

Knucklehead

Founding Member
I label with the strain or variety from start to finish. They all look the same but different.

I have all my sprouts separate and labeled with small stir sticks. How do you guys labels your outdoor plants that have been put in the ground? Will layout stakes marked with permanent markers hold up?

johnlee1933

Founding Member
I have all my sprouts separate and labeled with small stir sticks. How do you guys labels your outdoor plants that have been put in the ground? Will layout stakes marked with permanent markers hold up?
I assign each variety a number and put stakes with those numbers at row ends.

Ashauler

Founding Member
I assign each variety a number and put stakes with those numbers at row ends.
I use stakes as well, but I print a small label and affix it to the stake with clear packing tape. They seem to hold up well enough, besides, once you've been tending them for awhile, you'll memorize them. As a backup to the stakes I keep a master plan in an excel file that I can always refer to.

SmokesAhoy

Founding Member
i read somewhere about getting tin snips and cutting tags out of a beverage can and using something pointy to write on it for a permenant tag

Knucklehead

Founding Member
i read somewhere about getting tin snips and cutting tags out of a beverage can and using something pointy to write on it for a permenant tag

Hammer and nail like the old pie tin safes? That would be cool and definately permanent. You could get several markers out of a pie tin bottom.

SmokesAhoy

Founding Member
1 12 pack would probably give you all you need too while only using a waste product for supply

Status
Not open for further replies.