Buy Tobacco Leaf Online | Whole Leaf Tobacco

growing '' potatoes'' using car tires, [ heard of it??]

Status
Not open for further replies.

Chicken

redneck grower
Founding Member
ive heard of this a lot, but never tried iy, but this year i might,

but have you guys heard of starting the potatoe, in one tire, and as the plant grows, add another tire, and fill with dirt, and as the plant grows.... repeat,

and at the end of the season, knock the tires over, and they will be full of taters,

anyone ever try this, or done it, or has heard of it done,??:confused:

LeftyRighty

Founding Member
I've done something similar - set the tater eyes on the ground surface, cover with 6-inches of straw, keep adding straw as they grow, after the blossums, rake off the straw and pick up your potato crop.

Knucklehead

Founding Member
I've done something similar - set the tater eyes on the ground surface, cover with 6-inches of straw, keep adding straw as they grow, after the blossums, rake off the straw and pick up your potato crop.

All straw, no dirt? Awesome!!

indianjoe

Founding Member
I've never tried it, but I am going to put a few tators in a round plastic barrel (from cattle licks) just to try it this year. I planted yesterday 50# seed tators in the ground, just as backup. Its been too wet to plant til now and we got a rain on them yesterday.

Chicken

redneck grower
Founding Member
I've never tried it, but I am going to put a few tators in a round plastic barrel (from cattle licks) just to try it this year. I planted yesterday 50# seed tators in the ground, just as backup. Its been too wet to plant til now and we got a rain on them yesterday.

nows the time for those in '' our'' area to plant taters,

i been delivering massive ammounts of fertilizer, to potatoe, farms, in n.e. florida,

i got all my tater seedlings, toghter, i should have a big crop, im gonna experimaent with some tires, and do the rest the '' normal'' way<

squeezyjohn

I've grown potatoes OK with a similar method using old used compost bags.

I roll the tops of the sacks down and put a small amount of soil in the bottom with the potatoes and then as the leaves grow - keep adding soil and rolling the bags up until the bag is it's full height and full of soil.

This method is great if you sow a late crop in July - you can bring them inside a greenhouse or shed when the frost comes and they keep going so you can have new potatoes at Christmas!

However - I've never had big crops from this kind of method. Sticking them in the ground always gives me a bigger yield.

SmokesAhoy

Founding Member
in seeing this topic come up many times in many places over the years people usually follow up with disappointment where production was involved but almost everyone says that harvest is so much easier.

jekylnz

Alot of people in nz grow spuds like this,they are great wer u have restricted growing space,if u cant go out ..go up.u end up with a heap more potatoes than the traditional method and a lot less effort as far as digging and harvesting

johnlee1933

Founding Member
Yall dont be growin them tators. They make ya fat. Gotta grow them bean sprots and lettice.
You sound like some damn yuppie female. Sides it ain't the taters that make you fat it's the bacon grease you fry em in and the butter you add to the top. LOL

littlechikchik

Urban Gardener
ive heard of this a lot, but never tried iy, but this year i might,

but have you guys heard of starting the potatoe, in one tire, and as the plant grows, add another tire, and fill with dirt, and as the plant grows.... repeat,

and at the end of the season, knock the tires over, and they will be full of taters,

anyone ever try this, or done it, or has heard of it done,??:confused:

Totally. They're called potato towers. You can also do it several different ways, doesn't have to be tires. You can use old oil drums, barrels, etc. We're gonna grow them like that this year using one of those new cool looking blue varieties of potato. Search around the net and you can find plenty of info on it.

SmokesAhoy

Founding Member
last year i got a bunch of manure and it was more than i needed for the tobacco so i left it all in a huge mound, and buried potato peels in it, got a bunch that way.

Status
Not open for further replies.