Buy Tobacco Leaf Online | Whole Leaf Tobacco
Status
Not open for further replies.

Fisherman

Re: Fisherman's grow blog

i'd suggest you grow more than just one strain, your gonna want at least 3 more types of bacca to mix with that bright-leaf,for the perfect cigg,

perhaps a burley, and a turkish blend, '' id suggest bursa or ottoman'' [ for the turkish ]

very good for cigg blending,

I wanted to grow some for seed. That is why I also raised birds like your icon for 20 years. They had more pedigree than I did :) I like the idea of raising stuff for generations.
I'm guessing I can stagger planting and maybe the seed would remain pure???

BarG

Founding Member

Growing tobacco is just like growing tomatos, But different;). Starting is more tedius but once they are in in the ground they will take off after a week or 2. Watch your fertilizer your first time around and avoid potasium chloride[a bad experince here from that] . Too much and your baccy won't burn. I'm in Texas also ,pm if you need some seeds.

Fisherman

Thanks Deluxestogie....
I guess I need to get some seeds then.... I wonder how much of the burley and turkish I would need to mix with the bright? If I do succeed to raise any at all... it will be smoked :) Ima gonna stick it to the taxman at least.

Mr BarG.... will trade some fishing trips on new boat if ya want, for some seeds...... I am going to test run this next week I am almost certain. Half the fun of a project like this is meeting and talking to people. For me at least it is. Im in Port Lavaca not to far from you.

Mike

Fisherman

3-9-13:

Transplanted 2 more trays tonight..... Was more roots on these and it seems that my tray compared to Sheila's is not going to produce as many plants or as high of quality either. Opening the peat pellets giving more surface area is indeed better. BUT the fabric that holds this brand's pellets together is a killer if a seed emerges under it... You will strip the roots off of it unless you cut it. However......... this pellet I think is a little better as you can control the wetness of it easier than the pellet that disolves and fills a plastic planting chamber. It will also "air prune" a seedling which they say is good for some species of plants.

Will add pics ina few as I really havent planted but 1 of the trays yet :) I got called out to work and gotta wait a few hours till i get home... Also I wanted to show the 2 original germination trays after pulling 30 dozen plants from them.

Mike

BarG

Founding Member

3-9-13:

Transplanted 2 more trays tonight..... Was more roots on these and it seems that my tray compared to Sheila's is not going to produce as many plants or as high of quality either. Opening the peat pellets giving more surface area is indeed better. BUT the fabric that holds this brand's pellets together is a killer if a seed emerges under it... You will strip the roots off of it unless you cut it. However......... this pellet I think is a little better as you can control the wetness of it easier than the pellet that disolves and fills a plastic planting chamber. It will also "air prune" a seedling which they say is good for some species of plants.

Will add pics ina few as I really havent planted but 1 of the trays yet :) I got called out to work and gotta wait a few hours till i get home... Also I wanted to show the 2 original germination trays after pulling 30 dozen plants from them.

Mike

When they first germinate don't be surprised if roots are little. ....even later let lem grow. Follow simple rules in the FTT faq sheet and water from bottom.FmGrowit said wisely if you look at every day they don.t grow at all.

Knucklehead

Founding Member

Bag the blossom heads.

Bob

You won't need to bag all of them, just a plant or two. Each plant produces thousands of seed. I'm using 5 gal. paint strainers this year. Smokesahoy used them last year with success. Depending on how strong you like your cigarettes, I like 50% Virginia, 40% Burley and 10% Turkish Izmir. If you bag a couple plants for seed, you can top the other plants and make the remaining leaves larger and stronger. Here's BigBonner's topping video. He's our commercial grower. http://fairtradetobacco.com/showthread.php?2000-Topping-Burley

rainmax

Founding Member

Does suckers have any other name in english, cause I can not translate sucker in my language. Google translate it into tobacco fool which has no sense in my language.

edit: Oups,... wrong treat. Sorry for that fisherman. I'm following your log as well. Go for it and good luck.

johnlee1933

Founding Member

Does suckers have any other name in english, cause I can not translate sucker in my language. Google translate it into tobacco fool which has no sense in my language.

edit: Oups,... wrong treat. Sorry for that fisherman. I'm following your log as well. Go for it and good luck.
None that I know of. "Un-wanted secondary growth" is the best I can do but that is clumsy.

jekylnz

Shoots,tips,even branches? Really its the same as any plant trying to branch out.but the only translation u will probably find will be unwanted shoots or tips

Jitterbugdude

Founding Member

In Agrigultural Language they are referred to as "Axillary Bud Growth", or you can call them "side shoots"

rainmax

Founding Member

Shoots,tips,even branches? Really its the same as any plant trying to branch out.but the only translation u will probably find will be unwanted shoots or tips

Ok thanks, I found Slovenian word for it. "Zalisci" which would be in your language something like sideburns.

Fisherman

Hii Rainmax,

I work with a lot of people from overseas and translation is a problem sometimes. For years in south USA in Louisianna, there has lived a lot of people from Yugoslavia. They work oyster leases here mainly and are very successful people. The old locals call them "Tacos". For years I wondered why they were called "tacos" mainly because I would have thought that was a racial slur for a person from Mexico for example, due to the fact they eat tacos... which is a flat bread you wrap any edible thing in. SOrta of like a sandwich.

After 30 years I changed vocations and started inspecting ships and worked many with european crews on them and we talked of this dilima once and a very sharp cheif officer from Latvia suggested this reasoning.

"WHen 2 people from home meet they say to eat other "Kakosee" or "Caco-see" , which means "How are you" basically......"

Problem solved :)

Sideburns sounds as good a name for suckers as any .... makes sence too.

Mike

rainmax

Founding Member

Tacosi, verry interesting. LOL.
Slovenian and serbian are alike a lot. We also say Kako si?, But we pronounce different. So, no tacos for mi.

Fisherman

3-10-13:

WOW!

The plants are really taking off. I am drying them out a little now and will water from bottom still. I added a little of the miracle transplant formula at like 15% strength to the soil and even the miraclegro seedling mix for redwoods seems to be doing ok. Of course the first 2 flats were transplanted with almost no roots and the last 2 of the 6 flats I have were pretty rooty. The first sat there for days and never did anything.... Now they are really moving. Crisp leaves and sturdy. I will watch the water close as it has been a lil chilly here and dont want them root rotting. But they seem plenty healthy. The floresent lites Im using do make them look a little less green than they are I think.

LAST FLAT MADE ON 3-8-13. LOTS BIGGER ROOTS AND LEAVES THAN FIRST FLATS BY FAR!!!

101_0711.JPG

101_0710.JPG

THESE PICS SHOWS ORIGINAL FLAT. SEEMS THAT IT TAKES A FEW DAYS AFTER TRANSPLANTING TO RESUME GROWING OR HAVE A GROWTH SPURT.

101_0685.JPG

101_0684.JPG

THIS ONE SHOWS FIRST FLAT TO BE TRANSPLANTED LAST WEEK AND SEEDLINGS HAD ALMOST NO ROOTS [ TOP RITE OF PIC AND # 2 AND #3 ARE TO LEFT OF IT.]. WAS TO EARLY IM GUESSING BUT THEY ARE CATCHING UP AND PASSING THE LAST UNDISTURBED ONE. THE LARGER THE ROOT THE LESS TIME IT SEEMS BEFORE THEY RECOVER.

101B0690.JPG

THE PLANT DATE WAS 2/16/13 OR 24 DAYS AGO!!!

Maybe I can trade some starts of this virginia bright for some started burley or turkish. I cant plant but about 200 and girlfreind's son is going to plant about that many in Tyler and will have to get rid of them I guess if I cant sell.

Status
Not open for further replies.