Buy Tobacco Leaf Online | Whole Leaf Tobacco

Looking like cooked lettuce??

Status
Not open for further replies.

Seanz

I went out this morning and discovered this IMG_20130307_151309.jpg

Its the only one in the group. The Seed was samsan, son?? Anyway it looks like the title suggests and I am stumped by what could be causing it. The others next to it seem to be fine This is growing along side the house beneath some pipes etc So i was wondering if someone namely kids had chucked something out a window and struck it. Any ideas?

BigBonner

Founding Member
How warm is it where you live ?
How much water hits the plant ?
It almost looks like sun scald .

Seanz

Well I went out this morning and gave it a little nudge and the bloody thing just fell off!!
Any way here is what it looked likeIMG_20130308_091138.jpg
The weird thing is it is the only one and they are sorta bunched together. I'm Baffled ?

Knucklehead

Founding Member
That is very strange. I'm interested to see what the tobacco gurus come up with.

istanbulin

Founding Member
Seanz, I think it's "black root rot" disease. I wish you didn't pluck the plant because if the leaves recover itself at night I'll be sure about the disease. May be you detected it before, did leaves recover at night ? Also if you can upload a cross sectional wiev photo of the root, it would be better.

FmGrowit

Head Honcho
Staff member
Do you see any grubs crawling around in the stalk. There are a few things that will cause this problem. One, as I mentioned above, another is Black Shank and third is Root Rot.

I still think it's a critter since only one plant was affected. Look very closely for a pin hole or holes on the stalk near the base. Over time the holes begin to rot and look bigger so they're easier to see.

FmGrowit

Head Honcho
Staff member
Whatever it is, play it safe and dig up the rootball (dirt and all) and put it in your burn pit or trash can.

Wash or rinse the tools with bleach so you don't spread any disease.

Last edited:

Seanz

Seanz, I think it's "black root rot" disease. I wish you didn't pluck the plant because if the leaves recover itself at night I'll be sure about the disease. May be you detected it before, did leaves recover at night ? Also if you can upload a cross sectional wiev photo of the root, it would be better.

The plant didn't recover over night, though I do remember another one looking all wilted but it came back. I will pull the root out, as for critters I am not sure or I havent seen any and i do keep an eye out cos something been chewing on the tn90 And the nb11

Status
Not open for further replies.