Buy Tobacco Leaf Online | Whole Leaf Tobacco

Special Design Humidors

Status
Not open for further replies.

deluxestogie

Administrator
Staff member
I spent from Nov 67 to Feb 69 At Incerlik if there was a shop in Adana I never heard of it and I spent a lot of time in the old Bizarre. I could of very well missed it as I usually found something new every time I went there. There was a Turkish store on base that carried a lot of brass and meerschaum pipes. I had a Edwards pipe in a square shape and i wanted a meerschaum in that shape and they said that they would have to send it out to have one made.
That's interesting. I know that during the 1960s and 70s, Turkey was exporting block meerschaum, to be manufactured into pipes elsewhere. At some point after that, exporting meerschaum that was not finished as a pipe was either forbidden or severely limited. (The lower-grade block meerschaum from Tanzania--called Tanganyika Meerschaum--was still exported to Europe, but I haven't seen that in decades.)

So I believe that during the early 1980s, many more opportunities for producing finished meerschaum pipes within Turkey opened up. The shop I visited during my brief stay (~Nov 1983) was a formal shop on a busy street, with display windows visible from the sidewalk.

Bob

istanbulin

Founding Member
I just looked up a regulation about exportation, it's totally forbidden to export unfinished meerschaum now but I don't know when this law came into force.

Knucklehead

Founding Member
I have seen block meerschaum for sale, purportedly from Turkey, that had the chamber and airway drilled, but the outside unfinished. It was up to the buyer to do the finishing and/or carving. Is there a loophole in the law that allows this or, since it was smokable, was it considered a pipe under the law?

istanbulin

Founding Member
I have seen block meerschaum for sale, purportedly from Turkey, that had the chamber and airway drilled, but the outside unfinished. It was up to the buyer to do the finishing and/or carving. Is there a loophole in the law that allows this or, since it was smokable, was it considered a pipe under the law?

I have no idea about it, law only says "unfinished" but may be they found a loophole there.

Status
Not open for further replies.