Buy Tobacco Leaf Online | Whole Leaf Tobacco

ChuckP's 2013 Grow Log

Status
Not open for further replies.

ChuckP

Chuck, That's a nice looking chart you have there but it seems to be missing the notation for where you'll be inserting the horn worms..:)

I also saw no reference to all the weeds you'll have!

Howdy Randy,

My program doesn't have a hornworm graphic, so I couldn't insert them. You'll have to image them having a smorgasbord on my plants! LOL! I've have to take a picture tomorrow while the weeds are still under control. How green (with weeds) was my baccy patch? starring Walter the pigeon.

ChuckP

So basically a full cigar grow???

Howdy Jekylnz,

Actually the HAV OT (Havana Ottertail) and WISL (WI Seedleaf) can be used for mixing in my pipe blend. The HavOt is a mild version of the havana strain, that can be used in cigarettes and pipe. I also bought Fire cured and Dark Air and still have some TN90, Virginia Gold, Wisconsin Seedleaf and very little Lizard Tail x Turtlefoot left from past crops. I've also added some of the smaller CT Shade (shade grown) leafs to a some of my batchs; it adds a nice creamy flavor.

What do you grow for?

ChuckP

Howdy Y'all!

Great Day! I got some Habano200 & Crillo98 seeds from Knucklehead - A Big Thank You!!
Plus I was think of throwing the batch # of the No 3732 & Lizardhead & Turtlefoot and glad I checked! I found two more sprouts in the No 3732 container, so i'm up to 6 and 2 died - 4 total.

ChuckP

Howdy Y'all!

I got my criollo98 and Habano2000 from KnuckleHead last Monday - A big shout out to Knucks!! When I checked on Friday morning I had sprouts in both containers! Wahoo!! I sowed a dozen seeds of each.

ChuckP

I should also mention that the 2 - No. 3732 sprouts from batch #1 (that are part of the FTT grow-out) are doing just fine. I just transplanted both into 3.5" container,along with several other varieties. I'll try to snap off a picture and post it for posterity.

ChuckP

Howdy Y'all!

Here's a couple of pics of the baccy patch. On the left (in the picture without the hay field in the backdrop) is the badly neglected potato patch. That's the next piece I need to work on!

baccy_patch_20130601_web.jpgBaccy_patch2_20130601_web.jpg

johnlee1933

Founding Member
Howdy Y'all!

Here's a couple of pics of the baccy patch. On the left (in the picture without the hay field in the backdrop) is the badly neglected potato patch. That's the next piece I need to work on!
Chuck, Just a caution My commercial friend recommended against potatoes growing in proximity to tobacco. Apparently a potato virus/mosaic attacks tobacco and he won't have them anywhere on his farm. You might want to look into it. John

ChuckP

Chuck, Just a caution My commercial friend recommended against potatoes growing in proximity to tobacco. Apparently a potato virus/mosaic attacks tobacco and he won't have them anywhere on his farm. You might want to look into it. John

Howdy JohnLee,

Thanks! I am going to look in this issue and talk with Jimmie about this. We've had potatoes every year, I been growing tobacco, but that just means I've been lucky.

Thanks for the heads up!

ChuckP

Howdy Y'all!

I just transplanted two No 3732 and four Long Red plants today as we finally got some sunshine after all this rain! The 2 No. 3732's are from the first batch and are really slow growers. The Long Red is from the second batch and they're the same size as the 3732 - Go Figure?!? I should also mention that the one surviving No. 3732 sprout from the 2nd batch (Planted in April) is the same size as Criollo98 and Habano2000 (Planted in late May). Will try and get a good photo of them for posterity.

ChuckP

Just got out of the garden and noticed flowers popped up on a couple of Havana608 and a Florida Sumatra. Don't remember if I posted that I topped all my Rustic plants as of last week. WI Seedleaf and Monte Calm Brun really look good!

ChuckP

Howdy Y'all!

Quick update. More for posterity and that fact I have a bad memory! :eek:

Topped a number of the plants and removed suckers on a number of them today. Everything looks very good.
The No 3732 has responded well to being transplanted and the Long Red are following right behind. This weekend I'm going to transplant the Criollo98 and Habano2000 into 3.5" pots.

ChuckP

Howdy!

I got up early this morning after a wonderful nights sleep, did chores and then went out to the garden to pull some weeds. I still have a ways to go on the weeds but decided to snap a few pics and share them. We had some extra lime after spreading it on the hay fields and pasture. So we put down about 50 - 60 lbs on the garden and it has really paid off! Most of the plants are about 3' to 3'-6" tall and have a lot of nice large leafs. Here's the pics of each variety I have, except for the No. 3732 and Long Red. I'll try and snap off a couple pics of them today.

FL_Sumatra_2013_web.jpgBlack_Mammoth_2013_web.jpg
FL SumatraBlack Mammoth
WI_Seedleaf_2013_web.jpgMonte_Calme_Brun_2013_web.jpg
WI SeedleafMonte Clame Brun
Penn_Red_June22_2013_web.jpgHavana608_June22_2013_web.jpg
Penn RedHavana 608
Havana_Ottertail_June22_2013_web.jpg
Havana OttertailRustica
No_3732_July_15_2013.jpgLong_Red_2013.jpg
No. 3732Long Red

Looks like a forgot to get a picture of the Rustica too.

Last edited:

Fisherman

I messed up and added to much lime..... But I am growing in grow bags. I added so much that the plants couldnt get any nutrients. I got a ph meter later and saw what I had done. A lot had to do with the early setting of the plants too. I planted some from same sowing about 2 months later in used soil and they are already 25% taller than the first crop.

Status
Not open for further replies.