Buy Tobacco Leaf Online | Whole Leaf Tobacco

Dutch Halfzware Recipe

Status
Not open for further replies.

DonH

I'm smoking another right now and I think I nailed it with this recipe. Like Knucks I prefer a
classic American blend but this is a nice change of pace.
I found something on Wikipedia that lists the varieties used in Halfzware (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Shag_(tobacco)) and it says they use a small amount of Latakia. Interesting... that may be where the flavor I couldn't figure out was in the Amsterdam Shag. They also say that Paraquayan is used. I looked that up, apparently it's a Dark Air variety.

So I took some of my own Halfzware and mixed in some Latakia and Dark Air Cured. Tasted good, more interesting than the previous version. I'm going to experiment some more. I think with the Latakia, I may be able to avoid any casings. It was high in nicotine because I used 3rd priming for the Dark Air.

SmokesAhoy

Founding Member
I think dark air tips touch rustica. I've got to try that Latakia, always hear good things about it.

holyRYO

I love PS Amsterdam pipe cut for RYO, tried adding Don's Dark Fired and Bright to it, even better!

DonH

Hey donh do u not find much difference between star anise and licorice .also want does corriandor come out like in the smoke?
Honestly unless I use vanilla I can't taste casings in the smoke. I bought a licorice extract that also has anise in it so I couldn't tell you the difference. They have similar flavors.

I just made a batch with 50% flue cured 30% fire cured, 10% each of Latakia and dark aair cured with no casings and it came out great. The Latakia makes the difference. A warning: the Latakia kept jamming the tube stuffer, so I'm going to need to slice it thinner next time.

DonH

Honestly unless I use vanilla I can't taste casings in the smoke. I bought a licorice extract that also has anise in it so I couldn't tell you the difference. They have similar flavors.

I just made a batch with 50% flue cured 30% fire cured, 10% each of Latakia and dark aair cured with no casings and it came out great. The Latakia makes the difference. A warning: the Latakia kept jamming the tube stuffer, so I'm going to need to slice it thinner next time.

Final (I think) Halfzware recipe. The one above had too much Latakia. Try 40% Virginia Bright Leaf, 35% Fire Cured, 20% Maryland 609 or Dark Air, and 5% Latakia.

holyRYO

Final (I think) Halfzware recipe. The one above had too much Latakia. Try 40% Virginia Bright Leaf, 35% Fire Cured, 20% Maryland 609 or Dark Air, and 5% Latakia.

I have been enjoying 80% Bright and 20% Fire Cured, technically not Halfzware (half fire cured), sure tastes like it... :)

holyRYO

I have never tried Latakia, but I am fast developing an interest in it, whole leaf that is... ;)

holyRYO

I am smitten with a blend of PS Amsterdam pipe cut (60%), WLT's Dark Fired (20%), and WLT's Bright (20%). I let it mingle a few days first, it makes a big difference with this blend.

bonneville

I just wanted to bump this Halfzware recipe by Mr. DonH because it's worth remembering it...I hope to give this a try if I can see my way clear to importing some pounds into Canada.

Status
Not open for further replies.