Buy Tobacco Leaf Online | Whole Leaf Tobacco

Dutch Halfzware Recipe

Status
Not open for further replies.

DonH

I've been experimenting trying to replicate Peter Stokkebye's Amsterdam Shag (It's Shagadelic!). The following recipe is as close as I could get. There is some flavor I'm missing, but it came out pretty good, if not as good as the commercial. I guess like Bob says, it's a fool's errand to try to replicate commercial brands.

The flavorings I used in the casing fluid were chocolate extract, anise extract (the kind I had also had licorice in it), coriander (I didn't have an extract so I put a couple of tablespoons of coriander seeds in 4 oz. of water and cooked on low heat for 15 minutes and strained) and vanilla. To that coriander water (and maybe some extra water, but no more than 8 oz.) add a teaspoon of molasses, a teaspoon of anise extract, a half teaspoon of chocolate extract, and a a quarter teaspoon of vanilla extract

Spray the casing mixture on shredded Flue Cured and Fire Cured in approx. 60/40 ratio until very moist. Dry in the lowest heat your oven will do (mine is 145 F). When dry give it a couple small quick sprays and enclose in a jar.

---

I may try a few drops of juniper extract next time. Of course if I use anise, coriander, chocolate, etc. I might as well just spray it with gin.

[edit: forgot the molasses]

DonH

It also helps to sprinkle in some uncased flue cured at the end.

Last edited:

Knucklehead

Founding Member
Abit of iso propyl or ethel alcohol is the one to extract most things,no residue left from the liquid solution

that would spoil the experiment... you know ... take a sip of this, add a dash of that, take a sip of this, add a pinch of that...

jekylnz

that would spoil the experiment... you know ... take a sip of this, add a dash of that, take a sip of this, add a pinch of that...

Na I mean just to extract oils,flavors like coriander etc.. Not put in recipe .the Mrs uses ether to extract essential oils,like lavender etc ,then vaporizers off the alcohol so all your left with is the substance your extracting oils,flavor,concentrate....just thought it might help someone out

DonH

Na I mean just to extract oils,flavors like coriander etc.. Not put in recipe .the Mrs uses ether to extract essential oils,like lavender etc ,then vaporizers off the alcohol so all your left with is the substance your extracting oils,flavor,concentrate....just thought it might help someone out
Since extra moisture is not a problem, I just use vodka. Plus ether and isopropyl are toxic so you have to make sure it 100% evaporates where you won't breathe it.

jekylnz

Yeah u definitely dont want to be eating,chewing or breathing that stuff .I make the Mrs do it in the open shed with the extractor fans cranking.so she doesn't level the house with me smoking round it

Last edited:

DonH

I've improved the recipe and got a lot closer to the commercial brand. This time I boiled a tablespoon of coriander seeds in 4-6 oz of water, then put in a teaspoon of honey, a teaspoon of Anise/Licorice extract, an eighth of a teaspoon of chocolate extract, and sprayed a 50/50 mix of Don's Flue Cured and Fire Cured and dried it in an oven at 145F. Leaving out the molasses and vanilla and reducing the chocolate helped. Doesn't taste quite as good as Peter Stokkebye's Amsterdam Shag, but from what I've read Peter Stokkebye makes some of the finest RYO tobacco out there, but it's pretty good.

Knucklehead

Founding Member
When I tried the Amsterdam, it had what I can only describe as a "spicy" flavor. What was I tasting? The licorice or anise? I agree they are one of the best RYO companies out there. D&R ranks right up with them in my opinion. I really liked Stokkebye's Norwegian, but it had a more traditional flavor, with less noticable casings. I just started smoking a pipe and haven't sampled very many aromatic blends. Are you rolling these in a cigarette or using a pipe? I much preferred the Amsterdam once I started a pipe, I just wasn't used to that kind of flavor in a cigarette. Kind of took me by surprise.

DonH

When I tried the Amsterdam, it had what I can only describe as a "spicy" flavor. What was I tasting? The licorice or anise? I agree they are one of the best RYO companies out there. D&R ranks right up with them in my opinion. I really liked Stokkebye's Norwegian, but it had a more traditional flavor, with less noticable casings. I just started smoking a pipe and haven't sampled very many aromatic blends. Are you rolling these in a cigarette or using a pipe? I much preferred the Amsterdam once I started a pipe, I just wasn't used to that kind of flavor in a cigarette. Kind of took me by surprise.

I'm using these for cigarettes. I wish I knew what you were tasting in the Amsterdam, it's definitely casing of licorice, anise, and coriander plus maybe something else. The Fire Cured is pretty spicy, too. Have you tried Don's Fire Cured yet? What you weren't used to in a cigarette may just have been the Fire Cured. It usually tastes better in a pipe for me, too, but I wanted to try a good European blend (with Fire Cured).

Knucklehead

Founding Member
I ordered a lb. of Don's fire cured a couple days ago, because I had never tasted any. (that I knew of) I'll be trying it in some blends.

DonH

I ordered a lb. of Don's fire cured a couple days ago, because I had never tasted any. (that I knew of) I'll be trying it in some blends.

My guess is it's the smoke in the Fire Cured you were tasting. The other flavors pale in comparison.

Meanwhile I got today's newsletter from Smokingpipes.com and it mentioned Samuel Gawith's 1792 Flake which is made of Dark Fire Cured and flavored with Tonka bean which I'd never heard of. Here's what Wikipedia has to say:

Dipteryx odorata (commonly known as "cumaru" or "kumaru") is a species of flowering tree in the pea family, Fabaceae. That tree is native to Central America and northern South America.[SUP][1][/SUP] Its seeds are known as tonka beans. They are black and wrinkled and have a smooth, brown interior. Their fragrance is reminiscent of vanilla, almonds, cinnamon, and cloves.

The tonka seed contains coumarin, a chemical isolate from this plant, which also gave the name to it. The seeds contain about 1 to 3% of coumarin, rarely it can achieve 10%.[SUP][2][/SUP] Coumarin is responsible for the pleasant odor of the seeds and is used in the perfume industry. Coumarin is bitter to the taste, however, and, in large infused doses, it may cause hemorrhage and liver damage as well as it can paralyze the heart.[SUP][2][/SUP] It is therefore controlled as a food additive by many governments. Like a number of other plants, the tonka bean plant probably produces coumarin as a defense chemical. Radio-carbon dating of D. odorata stumps left by a large logging operation near Manaus by Niro Higuchi, Jeffrey Chambers and Joshua Schimel, showed that it was one of around 100 species which definitely live to over 1,000 years. Until their research, it had been assumed unlikely that any Amazonian tree could live to old age due to the conditions of the rain forest.[SUP][4]

[/SUP]Tonka beans had been used as a vanilla substitute, as a perfume, and in tobacco before being banned in some countries. They are used in some French cuisine (particularly, in desserts and stews) and in perfumes. Today, the main producers of the seeds are Venezuela and Nigeria.

Its use in food is banned in the United States by the Food and Drug Administration.[SUP][5][/SUP] Many anticoagulant prescription drugs, such as warfarin, are based on 4-hydroxycoumarin, a chemical derivative of coumarin initially isolated from this bean. Coumarin itself, however, does not have anticoagulant properties.
The beans were formerly also spelled "tonquin"[SUP][6][/SUP] and "tonkin",[SUP][7][/SUP] although it has no connection with Tonkin, now part of Vietnam.
Tonquin is still used today to flavor some pipe tobaccos like Dunhill Royal Yacht and Samuel Gawith 1792 Flake.

Now I'm curious.

DonH

Found another article on Tonka Beans from 2010 in The Atlantic. Apparently it's not dangerous. Now I'm really interested.

[h=1]The Tonka Bean: An Ingredient So Good It Has to Be Illegal[/h] [h=5]By Ike DeLorenzo[/h]
tonka_post.jpg
mecredis/flickr

Modern haute cuisine is working so hard to add scents to our plates: pillows of vaporized fresh-mown grass that vent at Grant Achatz's Alinea, bowls of smoke that seep at José Andrés's Minibar, hay brulée. With a flourish, the chefs at these restaurants call it "avant-garde cuisine"—drama and novelty are also very important. But according to the FDA, drama can sometimes be deadly.

Enter the tonka bean, a flat, wrinkled legume from South America with an outsize flavor that the federal government has declared illegal. Nonetheless, it proliferates on elite American menus. The tiniest shavings erupt in a Broceliande of transporting, mystical aromas.

The taste of the tonka bean is linked strongly to its scent. "Scents," I should say, as the tonka bean has many at once. I register the aromas of vanilla, cherry, almond, and something spicy—a bit like cinnamon. When served cold—say, in tonka bean ice cream—the taste is like a vanilla caramel with dark honey. When warm, perhaps shaved over scallops, it moves toward spiced vanilla. Additionally, the aroma of the tonka bean shavings (it's almost always shaved) is so affecting that it seems like an actual taste in the way that opium, which has no taste in the traditional sense, "tastes" like its rich, flowery smoke.

The French have had "fièvre tonka" ("tonka fever")—an overused food-mag pun on fève, the French word for "bean"— for years. The French version of Saveur magazine features recipes that call for the tonka bean without fanfare. But in the United States it's a different story. Here, all foods that contain the chemical compound coumarin are considered by the FDA to be "adulterated" and have technically been illegal since 1954. Tonka beans are a major source of coumarin.

Before the law, refined coumarin was commonly added to commercial foods like cream soda, and used in synthetic vanillin. Extreme concentrations caused liver problems in rats (how unappetizing), and a rather overreaching ban on even natural sources of the compound was put in place. Coumarin has since been found to occur naturally in cinnamon, lavender, licorice, and a host of other commonly eaten plants—all of which would seem to be illegal under the regulation. Coumarin also accounts for the particular smell of fresh-cut grass and of fresh-dried hay (both in Alinea's grass-gas scent-pillows, and on your front lawn).

The fear of coumarin in the U.S. stems from the oft-repeated saw that it is a blood thinner. It's not. Coumadin® is the blood thinner trademarked by Bristol-Meyers Squibb. To make matters more confusing, Coumadin is made, in part, by changing the chemical structure of coumarin. Doctors who spoke with me (and who were terrified of being quoted) said there they're aware of no anti-coagulant effect from naturally occurring coumarin in general, or tonka beans in particular. In nature, only certain rare decomposition fungi can convert coumarin to the anti-coagulant molecule. Cows grazing on (pounds of) such rotting sweet clover led to the discovery of the Coumadin drug.

Humans would need to eat an unreasonably bovine amount of tonka bean to fall ill. The shavings of a single bean is enough for 80 plates. At least 30 entire tonka beans (250 servings, or 1 gram of coumarin total) would need to be eaten to approach levels reported as toxic—about the same volume at which nutmeg and other everyday spices are toxic.

So is the FDA enforcing this old law? Has anyone been busted for tonka bean possession? Yes! While the financial industry recently spun out of deregulated control, federal regulators got busy tracking down chefs using the tonka bean. An early bust, in 2006, was at Chicago's Alinea, currently the top U.S. restaurant in the San Pellegrino rankings, and a probable recipient of three Michelin stars in 2011. Chef Grant Achatz described the warning call from his supplier: "They said, 'Don't be surprised if the FDA shows up soon.'" His face still shows disbelief as he relates the story. "Two days later, they walked in: Can we look at your spice cabinet?" (See video.)

But enforcement is clearly imperfect. Last month, I was able, after a dozen attempts at various merchants, to purchase tonka beans from a Seattle-based supplier on the Internet. The spice arrived in a plain yellow envelope, and made an excellent enhancement to my mother's Winesap apple tart recipe.

A clever dessert leveraging the temperature-sensitive taste of the tonka bean is "Le Gâteau" created by chef Gabriel Bremer at Salts, in Cambridge, Massachusetts: a block of warm chocolate-tonka layered cake, semi-dried cherries, and light tonka bean ice cream. The fruit underscores the tonka bean's cherry notes, and accompanying smoked honey amplifies its spice. Brilliantly, the dish contains no vanilla, so the unique vanilla-like scent of the bean can reign on its own.

This is the kind of culinary innovation and taste experience we are missing when tonka is excluded from menus, and even products. The age-old and fortunately undisclosed recipes of various imported Italian amaro liqueurs probably also use tonka bean. They could meet the same fate as Poland's luxury Żubrówka vodka, flavored and colored by Polish bison grass for the rest of the countries in the world, but switched to use artificial flavors and colors for the United States market. Buffalo grass is unfamiliar to us and—you guessed it—contains coumarin.

A scientific re-evaluation of this old law, and its 1950s research, seems to be in order so we can catch up with the rest of the world. My tonka version of my mom's apple tart might, for the first time, outshine her original this Thanksgiving. That should not be illegal.

DonH

I've improved the recipe and got a lot closer to the commercial brand. This time I boiled a tablespoon of coriander seeds in 4-6 oz of water, then put in a teaspoon of honey, a teaspoon of Anise/Licorice extract, an eighth of a teaspoon of chocolate extract, and sprayed a 50/50 mix of Don's Flue Cured and Fire Cured and dried it in an oven at 145F. Leaving out the molasses and vanilla and reducing the chocolate helped. Doesn't taste quite as good as Peter Stokkebye's Amsterdam Shag, but from what I've read Peter Stokkebye makes some of the finest RYO tobacco out there, but it's pretty good.
I'm smoking another right now and I think I nailed it with this recipe. Like Knucks I prefer a
classic American blend but this is a nice change of pace.

DonH

That 1792 packs a punch too. Interesting recipe you got going there
I just got an ounce of 1792 Flake in the mail today. Interesting stuff. It's made with Tanzanian fire cured and Tonka bean topping. The Tonka bean flavor is kind of like a mix of vanilla and raspberry.

leverhead

I just got an ounce of 1792 Flake in the mail today. Interesting stuff. It's made with Tanzanian fire cured and Tonka bean topping. The Tonka bean flavor is kind of like a mix of vanilla and raspberry.

I think I'm going to try it in the Hookah.

Status
Not open for further replies.