Whole Leaf Tobacco

Question When to transplant my Virginia Bright Leaf?

Hello,

I have three virginas in small pots and each have three 1 inch leaves, I was wondering when should I transplant them to the final pot; the big one?

Thanks

Edit: I meant to write transplant in the title but I can't seem to edit it!! [Fixed: deluxestogie]
    Last edited by deluxestogie; 08-04-2011 at 12:40 PM.

Banned

When to transplant my Virginia Bright Leaf?

I start my seed in a 3 oz cur (2 inch diameter) when they reach the size they have 1 inch long leaves they are also outgrowing these small cups and I transplant them to 6 inch pots. I do this mainly because this system works for me and my situation not because it is required. I then keep them in these pots until they are 6 weeks old and then plant them out. I have found that if I try to keep them in the pots much longer than 6 weeks they are stunted from lack of root space.

Iv heard from other growers that when the plant reaches 6 inches tall or six weeks old, you can plant them in the final big pot.

Super Moderator

I have a perfectly healthy little plant in a small dixie cup that is almost a year old. Totally root bound of course. Just a tiny house plant. Curious if it will grow full size next spring.

Founding Member

I've transplanted my seedlings to 3 oz. dixie cups also after germination.
    It's been my experience that when the leaves get to at least golf-ball size or slightly larger, the plant has developed a decent root ball, and these transplant well. It doesn't matter if it's only 2-inches tall or 6-inches.
    Smaller plants seem subject to transplant shock and take longer to start their growth spurt. Larger plants just get too lanky and spinly - may need staking when transplanted.
    Last edited by LeftyRighty; 12-01-2011 at 02:28 PM.

are you gonna grow them under light's.. ??
    i mean it's winter time,,,,

or hold them over till...next growing season,????

i plan on starting mine around the end of january,,, and im in florida,<-------

your in egypt,... do you have a '' warm'' winter there,?????

sorta tropical,,, you are close to the equater,,,,

'' very curious, about growin baccy in egypt,,,''

that's some helpful info, thanks guys.

@chicken: well it is now winter in Egypt, it is relativly cold ( between 53 and 72F), we are far from the equater but our summer it hot and dry. After I have started this thread all my plants died, I am starting a new batch of seeds now.
    It is also sunny through winter here so it helps.

Super Moderator

53 degrees is a positively harsh winter!

Haha I can't complain I still haven't run the snow blower once. Best of luck on the next crop man.
    hey, by the by, have you ever considered cutting the stock 3 or so cm above ground and letting it sucker another crop? I wonder if you couldn't let the same rootball grow harvests over a few years.

53 degrees for like 5 hours a day; not the whole day, it is 55 and sunny right now

I was thinking of doing that this year, it would be much easier than starting from seed again. the thing is I wanted to change the strains since some of the members have sent me some new seeds.