Buy Tobacco Leaf Online | Whole Leaf Tobacco

Michigan Tax Law

Status
Not open for further replies.

Michibacy

Northern tobacco grower
beautiful website, alas I cannot order processed tobacco from out of state sellers here in Michigan. Thanks for the share though!

Ashauler

Founding Member
Re: Cigar shop worth visiting

Are you saying that you couldn't purchase cigars, say from cigar dot com, and have them shipped to Michigan?

Michibacy

Northern tobacco grower

Average Joe, I don't have a tobacco product sellers license so I can't import it.

Matty

Stupid laws... I'd be ordering cigars all the time if it weren't for the bitchbarrell full of duties and taxes.

Boboro

We have to pay the politions to put the chains on us or we would gust do any thing we wanted to.

PlantTeacher

Michibacy:
These are the restrictions listed from the Thompson Cigar Company website on state legality:
Due to state legislation ship-to addresses are not allowed in Louisiana. The shipping address must be the same as the billing address.
Other restrictions:

Little cigars may not ship to VT, MT or PA.
Certain pipe tobacco may not ship to FL.
Flavored cigars (excluding menthol and mint) may not ship to NY metro zip codes or Providence, RI.

Further state tobacco laws pertain to cigarettes: http://www.legislature.mi.gov/(S(pyvs3l45hpgq0v55ysguon45))/mileg.aspx?page=getobject&objectname=mcl-205-431&query=on&highlight=tobacco%20AND%20law

Unless there's something new or they got all their details wrong, you can order. And receive.

Michibacy

Northern tobacco grower

Let me correct myself then, if you purchase out of state via online, you have to submit tax papers and pay said taxes.

Full text via state of MI website here

Reading the law, you can buy online IF you pay due taxes.

Thanks for catching that

Boboro

Why the hell do these ppl. think they can use taxes to controll us.Our state gov. is as bad as the feds.I dont want to smoke in a bar. If theyll just let me be.

Knucklehead

Founding Member

Let me correct myself then, if you purchase out of state via online, you have to submit tax papers and pay said taxes.

Full text via state of MI website here

Reading the law, you can buy online IF you pay due taxes.

Thanks for catching that

Can you order from a catalog by telephone without the taxes and paperwork?

Michibacy

Northern tobacco grower

Nope, if you bring in a tobacco product that hasn't had State of Michigan Tobacco Tax applied, you have to do the taxes and paper work.

"According to the Michigan Tobacco Products Tax Act of 1993, it is illegal to have control of or possess untaxed/unstamped cigarettes (or other tobacco products) purchased on the internet, by telephone, by mail, or by crossing state lines. Not only are purchasers liable for cigarette and use taxes on their purchases, they could also face up to 500% penalty of the amount of tax due.If you purchase cigarettes or other tobacco products via the Internet or Mail order providers, you must report and pay for your purchase using the following forms:......."

Knucklehead

Founding Member

There's twenty acres for sale up here on the mountain. Vote with your feet.

SmokeStack

Nope, against the law

I think the new Michigan laws pertain to cigarettes and RYO tobacco only. You can still purchase cigars and pipe tobacco online from an out of state vendor. At least that's my understanding.

Knucklehead

Founding Member
What's unnatural water? LOL You would need to drill a well but all the well drilling has gone fine around it, good sweet water that tests good. No creeks, ponds or artesian springs but power is already up there. 1 acre clearing the rest in hardwoods and pine. Top of the mountain, can see for miles and miles.

PlantTeacher

Theft. Ya, that is definitely what the link to the official mich.gov website says, funny considering what the ACTUAL law on the legislature.mich.gov states is 'CIGARETTES' concerning the taxes and never hints at the inclusion of other tobacco products. Sounds like they're just trying to milk it.

These days, at least in Michigan even e-cigs are being called 'tobacco products.' OMG, can't have second-hand water vapor. It will KILL YOU.

Status
Not open for further replies.