Buy Tobacco Leaf Online | Whole Leaf Tobacco

Hello from Northern Alabama

Status
Not open for further replies.

Marlee

Hello,

I just moved to northern Alabama last month from Louisiana. I am a cigar smokerand just found this website and really enjoy reading all the post. I am goingto try to plant my first cigar tobacco next month. If anyone has anysuggestions please don't hesitate on sending the advise. If anyone has tried to grow tobacco in northern Alabama please let me know what type of seed that you used. I am willing to pay for the seed.

Thanks

Aaron

Welcome to the forum Marlee! You are in good company here. There are a few folks on the site from your neck of the woods. Wish you a great growing season.

Aaron

johnlee1933

Founding Member
Welcome Marlee to our Merry Band of growers. I suggest y ou read the FAQ's (listed at the top of the page) as a start and then just pick threads that interest you. There are several members in your area and they seem to do well. I'm sure you can too.

indianjoe

Founding Member
Welcome Marlee,
we will not hold it against you coming from Louisana, as long as you got here as fast as you could :)

leverhead

Welcome! If you're from Louisiana, at least you know what good food is. Growing and curing tobacco is a fun challenge. Read what you can find, talk about what you can't and brag about what you figure out.

Jitterbugdude

Founding Member
Hey Marlee, There are several growers from Alabama here but be wary of anything they say... they're from Alabama ya know!....:rolleyes:

ps.. One of 'em is a real Knucklehead

Knucklehead

Founding Member
I guess that's my cue. welcome to the forum. This will be my first season, but I've been on the forum for several months soaking up the knowledge to be found here. In this part of the country it is time to start your seed and break your ground. Tell us a little about your growing situation. Are you growing in pots or in the ground? With 2 ft. between plants and 3 ft. between rows, how many plants are you considering growing? What tools do you have? Where do you plan to hang your plants to cure? What type of cigars are you now smoking? This will give us a lead on how best we can help you. Do you plan to pull for the Crimson Tide or stay loyal to LSU? This will give us a lead on how much help we want to give. LOL. Seed will be no problem with this bunch. These guys are the most generous people assembled anywhere. I can spare a few once we figure out what you like.
Wallace

Marlee

Hello everyone,
Thank you for all the replies! First and foremost I do pull for the fightingtigers! Does Alabama have a footballteam? LOL, just kidding. I have just starting smoking cigars for about a year,so I am a newbie. I have been purchasingleaves from “leaf only” and rolling my own, which by the way is very difficult.I am starting to get the hang of it. Ihave never tried these leaves before but I just purchased; 1DW Maduro, Havana 7,QB-52 Fronto Wrapper(L) and Aged Dominican Ligero LongFiller. As far as what I smoke, Iusually like a medium spice cigar, not to mild but not too strong. The La Gloriacabana is one of my favorites. I am not sure what I purchased here but someoneof the “leaf only” forum suggested these.
We are just rentinga house until we find something we like so I will probably try to grow them ina 5 gallon bucket? I know absolutelynothing about growing tobacco leaves. Iam a country boy and growing up we always grew a large garden. I read that growingtobacco is somewhat like growing tomato plants? I hope I didn’t just insultanyone!

Thanks again forall the replies!

Knucklehead

Founding Member
There are quite a few growers on the forum growing in buckets, so you'll be able to pick up some good tips here.

BarG

Founding Member
Its just like growing tomatoes, but different! Heh heh If you can read and follow all the FAQ's and get them in the ground,then its pretty much the same, except instead of eating or canning you'l be curing and smoking.

I don't use buckets , None of my plants are portable, I guess thats why they put down roots.:cool:

Knucklehead

Founding Member
Also, the Tobacco Growing FAQ's have several seed supplier sources listed. Some have descriptions of the varieties with pictures and may help you decide what you want to grow. It's time to get your seed started, but we do have a long growing season here, so no need to get in such a rush you make hasty decisions.

Status
Not open for further replies.