Buy Tobacco Leaf Online | Whole Leaf Tobacco

How much do you grow?

Status
Not open for further replies.

docfitch1

New to growing tobacco and I'm not planting a large amount. I plan to grow 4 different types (and try to keep the seed true). I have about 1 1/2 plantable acres, but I'm only planning on planting about 20 - 30 plants. For those of you who plant hundreds of plants, what do you do with all of the tobacco? Are you commercial growers, or just large scale hobbyists?

DrBob

Founding Member
I grow 200 plants. This is enough tobacco to supply 2 smokers needs. Aint no hobby to me, I have not had to buy a pack of smokes for years.

leverhead

Large scale hobbyist. I'm growing 200 Virginias for flue-curing, I'd like to get enough to give it a break for a year. In a slightly smaller space, I'm growing almost 1000 Turkish/Orientals. A bunch of different varieties, but I don't expect the yield in pounds to be all that much. Growing tobacco is an addiction all by itself.

DGBAMA

I have seen expected yields of from 3-12 oz/plant depending on variety and growing conditions. Generally the heavy yielding varieties require more plant spacing. I have not seen a yield/sqft of planting area number. my current thinking is my household uses about 1lb/week so 52lb/yr. So at an average of 6oz/plant I need 138 plants + a little reserve so i plan on making space for 150 plants. The math gets a little silly when you think of individually harvesting 10-20 leaves from each plant. A stickey thread detailing varieties, planting space required, and average yield/plant and yield/sqft would be a great resource.

grgfinney

I,m growing 225 this year i picked the varieties based on days to maturity and ease of curing going to leave it hang in out building till i need to smoke it

Last edited:

marksctm

My first year I planed on about 12 to 15 plants, that ended up being about 56 or 57 plants of Burley 21 and Monte Clame Yellow.
This year my focus is on Bright leaf and Turkish with 6 other strains for cigar and to try out some different types.
And like Leverhead, I'm thinking I should be able to take a break next year.
We'll see if that holds true, It is an addiction growing tobacco.
Like DrBob said, It's no hobby for me ether, Basic brand cigarettes where $6.15 a pack and 24+ bucks a day for smokes was putting me in the poor house. or poorer house.;)
What ever your goal, best to you, and happy growing Docfitch1.

johnlee1933

Founding Member
I grow 48 plants in my permanent patch. I also grow about a dozen more in tubs and buckets around the yard. I mostly grow cigar wrapper plus a little filler. This year I am leaning toward wrapper and filler only with less space for experiments and grow outs. I buy the bulf of my filler from BigBonner and Don and just grow the "fine touches". this year I will experiment with a bit of Turkish (in buckets) to see if I like the flavor. I haven't bought a commercial cigar in two years and have cut my costs from ~ $1000/ year to $300. I hope to improve that total this year. Plus I am having fun and smoking much better cigars.

LeftyRighty

Founding Member
I growing about about 110 bright leaf and burley this year for cigs, plus another 40+ plants of different strains, for seed or to try something different. My garden area is 1100+ sq ft, and I've crowded as many as 240+ plants into that space. Am getting a few years ahead on my cig tobacco now, but really enjoy growing and saving $$$, and screwing the taxman.

SmokesAhoy

Founding Member
i stopped buying cigars, this. year i plan on a bit over 100.

seeing various consumption amounts id say 100 per year per person

Aaron

I think I'm going to try for around 150 plants this year. I'm just growing for my personal use and want to stock pile a bunch of leaf to let age for the future.

Knucklehead

Founding Member
I was smoking from 1\2 pack to 1 pack a day. Averaging a pound a month. Using the formulas in the FAQ I came up with the number of plants I would need to equal that. Since I plan to naturally age as oposed to kilning, I doubled that number to get year ahead on my tobacco stock. That way I can always have aged tobacco. I'll smoke purchased whole leaf until mine ages. I've been stockpiling enough to get me through. Next year I'll cut back to the estimate needed for a year. I'll stay a year ahead on the aged stuff and rotate my stock. I'm also growing a few varieties for seed.

SmokesAhoy

Founding Member
John suggested a good idea for people with limited space, grow the fancy varieties for rolling wrappers or flavoring and purchase the fillers from the store. best of both worlds without going all in with either category

Knucklehead

Founding Member
That's right. I mostly smoke cigarettes so that is my grow. I buy all my cigar filler and wrapper from Don, Although I may grow a few wrapper varieties this year.

rainmax

Founding Member
I will grow 20 varieties this year for seeds 4 plants of each and about 100 for smoke. I smoke mostly cigarets but I also enjoy Cigars and this year for the first time my pipe.
For new season I wish to roll about 100 cigars.
This is my first cigar last year:

attachment.php

jekylnz

I was smoking from 1\2 pack to 1 pack a day. Averaging a pound a month. Using the formulas in the FAQ I came up with the number of plants I would need to equal that. Since I plan to naturally age as oposed to kilning, I doubled that number to get year ahead on my tobacco stock. That way I can always have aged tobacco. I'll smoke purchased whole leaf until mine ages. I've been stockpiling enough to get me through. Next year I'll cut back to the estimate needed for a year. I'll stay a year ahead on the aged stuff and rotate my stock. I'm also growing a few varieties for seed.

Sounds well like a well thought out future plan

Status
Not open for further replies.