Buy Tobacco Leaf Online | Whole Leaf Tobacco

johnlee's grow log 2013

Status
Not open for further replies.

Markw

I hope the years grow goes wel for youl and the weather stays fine. Lets hope that 2013 brings you a bumper crop.

johnlee1933

Founding Member
OK Here is my proposed plot for this year. The "possibles" are germinating and I may do then in 5 gal. pails or at satellite space as it becomes available.

Proposed 2013 Plot Plan - Copy.jpg

BarG

Founding Member
Thats some good choices John. You might want to try some MCB to compare to the MCY if you can squeeze it in.

johnlee1933

Founding Member
John, I'm envious of your semi-shade growing area. Nice selection.

Bob
Thanks, It's kind of interesting. I have gotten samples of leaf from members that I also have grown. I'm not certain yet but I believe my leaf is lighter weight, more delicate. I only mention this as I am no way sure yet. I really like Lonnie's Havana. I buy a lot. This year I am growing some. We'll have a pretty good sized sample to test the theory.

Jack in NB

Founding Member
Haven't seen any reference to the math here yet.

2013 - 1933 = 80. Years, that is.

Seems somebody well known on the forum is passing that milestone this year.

Way to go, John!

johnlee1933

Founding Member
Here are three photos of the patch (If I didn't screw up.) The first is the Crimson Clover, in bloom, taken a couple of days ago. I got the seed from BarG last fall and planted it at the same time I removed the root balls from last year's growth.

The second is after spading and covering with landscape fabric taken yesterday. The pieces of wood are to keep the edges down and will be burned next winter.

The third, taken today, shows the new support structure for plant support and my seedlings in the ground. There are 48 plants, 12 CT shade and 6 each of MD 609, Manila wrapper, Jamaica wrapper, MCY, Vuelta abajo and Comstock Spanish. They look wilty right now because of the sun but they were well watered as I planted them. I'll do a careful check tomorrow morning to see is I need to replace any. Because of the trees all will be grown in partial shade. That is OK because it is my goal for all to be wrapper leaf. Damaged leaf will be cured but the use right now is uncertain. I do not plan on bagging any plants this year unless I get a specific request to do so.

There will be maybe 8 or 10 plants planted in containers at other locations.

I did not do well with my own seedlings this year and do not plan on starting any of my own next year.

The last pic got in by accident and I don't know how to delete it.

IMG_1780 - Copy.JPGIMG_1781 - Copy.JPGIMG_1787 - Copy.JPG

Attachments

• IMG_1778 - Copy.JPG
    IMG_1778 - Copy.JPG
    60.1 KB · Views: 88
Last edited:

Knucklehead

Founding Member
Tell us about the Manila and Jamaica wrapper. I like your spot, it looks different without the snow.

deluxestogie

Administrator
Staff member
I grew Jamaica and Manila last year. Comments are along the way in my 2012 grow log. My Manila never really grew well, so I can't offer a valid opinion on it. The Jamaica kilns to a unique nutty, toasty flavor, and made an excellent, mild cigar condiment.

Bob

Status
Not open for further replies.